British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Best relocation areas in the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/best-relocation-areas-uk-919206/)

Beraider Dec 1st 2018 12:14 pm

Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

For ukwinds, the OP:

it strikes me this would have been a lot easier if your friends asked their own questions and not risked losing something in the interpretation. Just a thought.

durham_lad Dec 1st 2018 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12602407)
Wot you mean .

The class system has always been and remains prevalent throughout the British Isles . That has nothing to do with location . Like other countries , it might have something to do with money old and new & ancestral heritage but it is still nothing to do with location.

My favorite sketch on the class system

christmasoompa Dec 1st 2018 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12602372)
Maybe their solution should be to live 45 minutes of London. That for sure would give them the entertainment factor without question. Quality schools options must be in abundance in that area. But the barrier in considering living near London is gonna be their budget because 700K will probably at best buy a very small property.

Depends on what you count as a 'very small property'. This one is in a village near to me (so amazing schools and within that distance of London), and a 4 bed detached seems a reasonable size to me for that budget - https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-67355218.html

And I live in one of the priciest bits around London, if they moved to Kent, Essex, etc, they'd get a lot more for their money.

A3am Dec 2nd 2018 10:09 am

I've recently returned from the US to Liverpool and love it. The deciding factor us was the cost of living and the accessibility to national parks such as the Lakes and Snowdonia and being on the coast while still being in a city with plenty of culture and nightlife. South Liverpool has some great options for affordable family housing close to the city centre and close to parks. The city has plenty of cultural events/museums/theatres/music events etc. and it is a short 40 minute train ride to Manchester which offers even more. It's also easy to get to Ireland and the rest of Europe thanks to low cost airlines and the ferry port. I've lived in the North and South of England including London. If your friends income will not change with regards to their location, you get so much more for your money in the North of England. We can actually get more house for our money here than we could where we were living in the US. I do think it's a personal preference though. I have friends from the South of England who would never entertain the idea of living in Manchester or Liverpool but for me I personally love the atmosphere and the people of the UK's northern cities.

UkWinds5353 Dec 3rd 2018 6:18 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12602564)
Depends on what you count as a 'very small property'. This one is in a village near to me (so amazing schools and within that distance of London), and a 4 bed detached seems a reasonable size to me for that budget - https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-67355218.html

And I live in one of the priciest bits around London, if they moved to Kent, Essex, etc, they'd get a lot more for their money.

That is a very spacious property and how nice it would it be to have a lot wide enough which offers a sense of privacy. They could do a lot worse than that. I think they will miss their house in the States. In most States you can buy a McMansion for about $600K.

christmasoompa Dec 3rd 2018 10:26 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12603210)
That is a very spacious property and how nice it would it be to have a lot wide enough which offers a sense of privacy. They could do a lot worse than that. I think they will miss their house in the States. In most States you can buy a McMansion for about $600K.

It's got woods all around it and is on a quiet country lane, about as private as you can get!

They could definitely buy more space for their money elsewhere within the same distance of London though, ours is a pretty pricey area.

UkWinds5353 Dec 3rd 2018 10:45 am

Originally Posted by A3am (Post 12602892)
I've recently returned from the US to Liverpool and love it. The deciding factor us was the cost of living and the accessibility to national parks such as the Lakes and Snowdonia and being on the coast while still being in a city with plenty of culture and nightlife. South Liverpool has some great options for affordable family housing close to the city centre and close to parks. The city has plenty of cultural events/museums/theatres/music events etc. and it is a short 40 minute train ride to Manchester which offers even more. It's also easy to get to Ireland and the rest of Europe thanks to low cost airlines and the ferry port. I've lived in the North and South of England including London. If your friends income will not change with regards to their location, you get so much more for your money in the North of England. We can actually get more house for our money here than we could where we were living in the US. I do think it's a personal preference though. I have friends from the South of England who would never entertain the idea of living in Manchester or Liverpool but for me I personally love the atmosphere and the people of the UK's northern cities.

Hi 3am

Scotland's many upsides are incredibly attractive as a possible pick among the various options in the UK. Music venues, history, affordable homes are just a few reasons to consider Scotland. The only major concern might be the aftermath of Brexit and if Scotland will remain in the UK. I had not thought about that issue but my friends did mention it as a potential concern moving forward.. But who knows that might not ever become a real problem even if a hard Brexit does occur.
May I ask why your friends would never consider living in Manchester or Liverpool?

UkWinds5353 Dec 7th 2018 4:42 am

My friends have eliminated London as a potential place to live because of budget concerns. But the good news is they have done quite a bit of research on their own and have narrowed down their target areas to Bristol, Brighton, Kent and Manchester is still in the running. They are leaving for the UK in two more weeks for a nice long vacation. Good for them. I like to see people go after their goals.

BEVS Dec 7th 2018 4:45 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12605221)
My friends have eliminated London as a potential place to live because of budget concerns. But the good news is they have done quite a bit of research on their own and have narrowed down their target areas to Bristol, Brighton, Kent and Manchester is still in the running. They are leaving for the UK in two more weeks for a nice long vacation. Good for them. I like to see people go after their goals.

Have them join BE. :thumbup:

GeniB Dec 8th 2018 8:39 am

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12603301)
Hi 3am

Scotland's many upsides are incredibly attractive as a possible pick among the various options in the UK. Music venues, history, affordable homes are just a few reasons to consider Scotland. The only major concern might be the aftermath of Brexit and if Scotland will remain in the UK. I had not thought about that issue but my friends did mention it as a potential concern moving forward.. But who knows that might not ever become a real problem even if a hard Brexit does occur.
May I ask why your friends would never consider living in Manchester or Liverpool?

That was a weird reply as 3AM didn't mention Scotland at all?:blink:

I have to agree with him/her as i think the 'scene' in Liverpool and Manchester is amazing. Yet you are within an hour of stunning countryside. Easy enough to travel in to the two cities for any musical events etc. Plus you have the seaside on your doorstep . Doesn't matter what we all say though. It's how conformable this couple will feel when they get there. I hope it all works out fo them

UkWinds5353 Dec 8th 2018 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12605222)
Have them join BE. :thumbup:

I mentioned to both of them about the great folks on this website over a few months ago. They have all their legal concerns squared away but I think reading about the various experiences of other expats would be very helpful. There are always several details a person hasn't thought of.

UkWinds5353 Dec 8th 2018 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12605817)
That was a weird reply as 3AM didn't mention Scotland at all?:blink:

I have to agree with him/her as i think the 'scene' in Liverpool and Manchester is amazing. Yet you are within an hour of stunning countryside. Easy enough to travel in to the two cities for any musical events etc. Plus you have the seaside on your doorstep . Doesn't matter what we all say though. It's how conformable this couple will feel when they get there. I hope it all works out fo them

Oh my gosh that was weird. Not sure where I got that from. I may have been multitasking. My apologies!

My friends have narrowed their search, and Manchester is still a potential pick. They really haven't mentioned Liverpool but I have. I think they want to be in central or south UK. Two more weeks and they'll be over there. Happy wife happy life. If my friend's wife is happy so will he be.

UkWinds5353 Dec 9th 2018 1:21 am

Originally Posted by A3am (Post 12602892)

Hi A3am

I've heard so many opinions about the differences between the north vs south regions in the UK. Some people say the folks in the north still retain a more open demeanor which not only makes them more approachable to a stranger but also somewhat friendlier. And on the other hand quite a few say the south has the best opportunities and can be just as friendly in small towns. I know people from London that believe there is only one place in the UK worth calling home. Maybe bias toward bigger cities might be the explanation for their thinking. My friends are going to need time visiting various places to figure out what fits best. My experience in Manchester is why I have a preference there. I think they'll figure it out in short order.

I will admit it does surprise me when I hear people say they could only live in a city that has it all like NYC or London. Both are wonderful cities and I have lived in NYC. But after a while it can get tiresome living in a concrete Jungle that has a pace which is always dialed up to Mach 10.

scrubbedexpat094 Dec 9th 2018 1:50 am

I'm a Lancashire lass but would recommend Burton-on-Trent, Lichfield, Staffordshire moorlands and the Derbyshire dales areas. Stunning countryside, lots to see and do, good transport links and very friendly people. Wish we'd never left!

scot47 Dec 9th 2018 1:36 pm

For the price of a semi Down South -

https://search.savills.com/property-...bglrsgls170001

UkWinds5353 Dec 10th 2018 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12606141)
I'm a Lancashire lass but would recommend Burton-on-Trent, Lichfield, Staffordshire moorlands and the Derbyshire dales areas. Stunning countryside, lots to see and do, good transport links and very friendly people. Wish we'd never left!

I totally agree about the beauty of that area. I wonder if my friends could adapt to being in a different suburbia. Closest city is Birmingham and they haven't mentioned that particular city as a potential pick. I do believe the condensed size of the UK will bring into focus the many places that could work for them. Here in America you can travel 8 hours by car and still be in the same state. How do you think housing prices are? My friends actually lost a little money by selling their home early because they wanted to make everything simple as possible once it's time to move to the UK. Housing prices are still going up in the States in the vast majority of markets.

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 10th 2018 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12606977)
... Here in America you can travel 8 hours by car and still be in the same state.

Same in the UK, but it's called the M25. ;)

UkWinds5353 Dec 10th 2018 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12606279)
For the price of a semi Down South -

https://search.savills.com/property-...bglrsgls170001

WoW!

It's stunning what you can get for the money in Scotland. I'm amazed more people aren't drawn there by the affordability not to mention the culture and nightlife.
An actual house built of stone and it's insanely reasonably priced. Do you see as many houses made of stone in central and south UK that are affordable?
Btw, I will send the picture of that house to my friends, just as a reminder. That is a seven figure priced home in the states and the house would be only partially built of stone in America. More than likely the front of the structure.

My friends would be bowled over if they could buy a stone house in their desired area. For their budget that might be asking too much.

I am curious if a house made of stone has any different structural insulation quality concerns than a house made of brick in terms of quality of life for the inhabitants? You would think a stone house would be more insulated in winter but might be a bit hotter in summer. But maybe I'm wrong.

UkWinds5353 Dec 10th 2018 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12606982)
Same in the UK, but it's called the M25. ;)

Lol.

My friends are going to truly appreciate the minimum travel time that is required from point A to point B in Europe. Glasgow to London takes about 8 hours. Freaking amazing!

scot47 Dec 11th 2018 4:49 pm

G;asgpow to London by train is less than 5 hours Leave the gas-guzzler at home !

UkWinds5353 Dec 11th 2018 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12607448)
G;asgpow to London by train is less than 5 hours Leave the gas-guzzler at home !

That train must be moving at a 90 mph speed. Talk about your hair on fire.

scot47 Dec 11th 2018 7:00 pm

Leave Glasgow Central 05.50 arrive London Euston 11/02

other trains are similar

UkWinds5353 Dec 11th 2018 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12607495)
Leave Glasgow Central 05.50 arrive London Euston 11/02

other trains are similar

There are times when using the train is simple and efficient especially when going into a huge city like London. Fewer parking cost and concerns not to mention traffic headaches. But that said I still enjoy driving my truck on a nice long trip. There is something freeing about being on the open road even when doing a shorter trip of less than 500 miles. I'm sure my friends are going to make the most of the close proximity of the UK to the rest of eastern and western Europe. They have done several cross country trips here in the states. 6000 miles traveling distance from Florida to California and back they've done multiple times. And they have driven from north to south in South America. I'm sure traveling through Europe is going to feel like a much easier journey.

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 11th 2018 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12607505)
There are times when using the train is simple and efficient especially when going into a huge city like London. Fewer parking cost and concerns not to mention traffic headaches. But that said I still enjoy driving my truck on a nice long trip. There is something freeing about being on the open road even when doing a shorter trip of less than 500 miles. I'm sure my friends are going to make the most of the close proximity of the UK to the rest of eastern and western Europe. They have done several cross country trips here in the states. 6000 miles traveling distance from Florida to California and back they've done multiple times. And they have driven from north to south in South America. I'm sure traveling through Europe is going to feel like a much easier journey.

Now ask what the ticket price is for Glasgow to London... :blink:

durham_lad Dec 11th 2018 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12607529)
Now ask what the ticket price is for Glasgow to London... :blink:

using my Trainline app, Glasgow to London return, leaving next Friday early morning, returning Sunday afternoon is £94.05.

ETA
at 400 miles each way you are looking at about £90 in petrol alone, plus tolls, parking etc.

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 11th 2018 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12607536)

using my Trainline app, Glasgow to London return, leaving next Friday early morning, returning Sunday afternoon is £94.05.

ETA
at 400 miles each way you are looking at about £90 in petrol alone, plus tolls, parking etc.

I sit corrected, thank you for that. I had honestly expected it to be an awful lot more.

durham_lad Dec 11th 2018 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12607544)
I sit corrected, thank you for that. I had honestly expected it to be an awful lot more.

My wife and I spent some time today booking our train tickets from the NE (Darlington) to Gatwick Airport in February. Amazing prices if you book up 12 weeks ahead and are flexible on the time of travel. We bought the tickets in segments to minimise costs. First Class Darlington to Kings Cross London has cost us £37.30 each leaving at 10:28.

Beraider Dec 12th 2018 12:31 am

What a bargain, especially considering that first class includes food and beverages. Or it did on my last trip down to Kings Cross anyway.

BuckinghamshireBoy Dec 12th 2018 8:58 am

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12607567)

My wife and I spent some time today booking our train tickets from the NE (Darlington) to Gatwick Airport in February. Amazing prices if you book up 12 weeks ahead and are flexible on the time of travel. We bought the tickets in segments to minimise costs. First Class Darlington to Kings Cross London has cost us £37.30 each leaving at 10:28.

Can't complain about that price. I guess the key is booking as far in advance as possible, with maybe some kind of railcard as well?

My original thought that it would be a lot more expensive was based on effectively a 'walk in', or at best booked the day prior to travelling.

durham_lad Dec 12th 2018 9:09 am

We do have senior railcards, having bought 3 year cards. Walk in on the day prices can be very high. I just looked up that Glasgow to London return leaving today coming back tomorrow and it is £89

UkWinds5353 Dec 12th 2018 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12607536)

ETA

That is not bad considering the high fuel tax levied on gas in the UK. Of course here in the States that amount of fuel price would cause riots in the Streets. I'm thinking gas must be about $5.50 a gallon adjusted for liters $1.40. Current price per gallon in the states in my region of the country is $1.99 per gallon. That is the reason why so many people prefer to drive trucks and suv's instead of cars.

UkWinds5353 Dec 12th 2018 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12607567)

Much of Europe is very smart about using Mass Transit instead of driving personal vehicles. The shorter travel distances in addition to federal investment into buses and trains does facilitate less need for a personal car in the UK.
America is so massive and every state and city has the right to spend local funds on the priorities it deems necessary. And Mass Transit by design tend to work better in larger cities that have big populations and a sizable tax base which affords well laid out transit systems. That pretty much leaves out 80% of America because much of the country are rural towns and small cities. And the federal government HATES to spend money on infrastructure projects because obviously that would make everyone depended upon government and less self reliant lol.
Those are only some of the reasons why America is a car ownership country. People love their cars here. The feeling of driving a Dodge Ram Truck truly is pure joy!

durham_lad Dec 12th 2018 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12607965)
That is not bad considering the high fuel tax levied on gas in the UK. Of course here in the States that amount of fuel price would cause riots in the Streets. I'm thinking gas must be about $5.50 a gallon adjusted for liters $1.40. Current price per gallon in the states in my region of the country is $1.99 per gallon. That is the reason why so many people prefer to drive trucks and suv's instead of cars.

I have just had our car in for its annual service and we have done 5,500 miles in the past 12 months which for our car equates to $550 in gas (we own one car, a Prius hybrid). We are retired so no work commute and all the shops etc are within a mile radius. We were also retired for the 6 years before we moved back to England from north of Houston and we also had just one car, a Prius Hybrid. Our annual spend on gas in Texas (The Woodlands to be precise) was about the same as it is here because where we lived was so big compared to here and we had to drive everywhere we went in Texas, but where we live now most of our miles are on leisure trips.

I understand why gas has to be so cheap in the USA, I really do, we lived there for 29 years and for most of that we were working in Louisiana where we both had a commute of 25 miles each way and we used to drive big trucks and big SUVs.

ETA
Houston is a huge city has no mass transit system, even in the relatively small town of The Woodlands (pop 120,000) where we lived there was no bus or train service whatsoever.

UkWinds5353 Dec 12th 2018 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12608001)

I have just had our car in for its annual service and we have done 5,500 miles in the past 12 months which for our car equates to $550 in gas (we own one car, a Prius hybrid). We are retired so no work commute and all the shops etc are within a mile radius. We were also retired for the 6 years before we moved back to England from north of Houston and we also had just one car, a Prius Hybrid. Our annual spend on gas in Texas (The Woodlands to be precise) was about the same as it is here because where we lived was so big compared to here and we had to drive everywhere we went in Texas, but where we live now most of our miles are on leisure trips.

I understand why gas has to be so cheap in the USA, I really do, we lived there for 29 years and for most of that we were working in Louisiana where we both had a commute of 25 miles each way and we used to drive big trucks and big SUVs.

ETA
Houston is a huge city has no mass transit system, even in the relatively small town of The Woodlands (pop 120,000) where we lived there was no bus or train service whatsoever.

I've spent time in Houston actually lived there for less than one year and know the Woodlands area. Very cool part of Houston metro. My only issue with Houston was how massive a city it is. Felt like you could drive for one hour and still be in Houston and the traffic drove me crazy. But the people were awesome they are quite friendly imo.

Driving a car in the States is baked into the way things are done in America. Most States either can't afford to pay for a well laid out Mass Transit like NYC or many tax payers in those states will not willingly support seeing their taxes go up to pay for a bigger better transit system. I remember when Obama gave federal money to several states in order to pay for Mass Transit linking up cities like Orlando to Tampa, building tunnels linking New Jersey to Manhattan and the state government contribution was going to be minimum, and still those states refused to accept the money. The libertarian mentality is sometimes far too strong in the States.

Sammy2018 Dec 13th 2018 10:28 pm

Just want to say the rail link talks between Orlando and Tampa are back on !!! Yippee just as we plan to move back to the UK ..

UkWinds5353 Dec 14th 2018 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Sammy2018 (Post 12608681)
Just want to say the rail link talks between Orlando and Tampa are back on !!! Yippee just as we plan to move back to the UK ..

Where are they going to find the money to build that linkage Tampa to Orlando?

Obama provided slightly over one billion dollars to build that rail link but when Florida's governor refuse to accept the infrastructure funds, that decision automatically triggered a clause in the agreement which made that money available to other states that were interested in accepting money to build projects in order to stimulate job growth in those communities.
Basically it was a political decision that some republican leaders didn't want to help build economic growth(connected to the stimulus money) in their states for fear Obama would get credit for the accomplishment. Because of politics the main mode of travel within central Florida is still personal vehicle. One of the biggest tourism cities in the world and we still don't have lite rail connecting the major cities. Insane in the membrane!

Sammy2018 Dec 14th 2018 9:41 am

Private investors for the rail see the latest news - link below
https://www.tampabay.com/business/br.../?template=amp

UkWinds5353 Dec 15th 2018 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Sammy2018 (Post 12608854)
Private investors for the rail see the latest news - link below
https://www.tampabay.com/business/br.../?template=amp

That is a promising read, and this project does in my opinion have a good chance of becoming reality. And let me also say I'm glad it's a European company attempting to put lite rail in Central Florida instead of just an Americans company trying to get it done solo. It probably would never happen if it was the ladder. It's very difficult to encourage change in thinking in medieval America. This company is trying to get it done with less than 2 billion dollars which is kinda questionable considering all the crazy overages they will surely encounter. Obama's 3 billion would have gotten the job done especially right after the Great recession when land leases would have been much much cheaper compared to today's prices. This project is not a done deal yet. But lets hope for the best.

UkWinds5353 Dec 15th 2018 9:29 am

https://media.rightmove.co.uk/dir/cr...ax_476x317.jpg
I sent this picture to my friends Titled "Charming Hammy Down".

UkWinds5353 Dec 16th 2018 2:37 am

My friends have seen a few homes in Berkshire. Any opinions on the Berkshire area and particularly Ascot?