Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Jun 14th 2019, 2:37 am
  #391  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,403
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post


It’s a relocation agent you need for that, not an estate agent. Very different things in the UK!

A relocation agent will research property for you, take you to see them, negotiate on your behalf. In return for a percentage of the property price.

HTH.

Thank you for that information. Do you have any idea what the usual fee is for a relocation agent in addition to the fee for a UK real estate agent ?
And is it negotiable? I don't want to break decorum or rules but I do look for avenues to save money when possible.
UkWinds5353 is online now  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 2:39 am
  #392  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 80,077
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
That is amazing. Their fee must be a lot less than the 6% charged by real estate agents in the States.
https://www.which.co.uk/money/mortga...s-an2n90t09n2g
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 3:11 am
  #393  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 46,057
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
That is amazing. Their fee must be a lot less than the 6% charged by real estate agents in the States.
I sold my house in the UK for 1.25%, but that was after the estate agent charging 1% (who was generally well regarded and very active in the area) botched two deals that fell apart, and I fired them.

That said, the effort to sell a house in that neighborhood only required that the agent pull the list of buyers who had already expressed an interest in that neighborhood out of their desk drawer and phone them all to arrange viewings. I bought that house when when I was on such a list, and was the seventh person to view the house on the first day it was available, and seven more were school for the next day. I jumped to the head of the queue as I had no property to sell, offered asking price, and was prequalified for a mortgage.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 14th 2019 at 3:18 am.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 3:17 am
  #394  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,403
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Thanks Jerseygirl

Very glad to have posted my plans otherwise would not have known the difference in process UK vs States until on holiday in august. I see there is no agent fee in buying a home in the UK which is great. Only for the seller. But the VAT which we are well aware of, but not happy about, more than makes up for those other savings. Ouch! But everything in life cost money.

Thanks for your posting. Have a little homework to do.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jun 14th 2019 at 3:22 am.
UkWinds5353 is online now  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 3:46 am
  #395  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,403
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
I sold my house in the UK for 1.25%, but that was after the estate agent charging 1% (who was generally well regarded and very active in the area) botched two deals that fell apart, and I fired them.

That said, the effort to sell a house in that neighborhood only required that the agent pull the list of buyers who had already expressed an interest in that neighborhood out of their desk drawer and phone them all to arrange viewings. I bought that house when when I was on such a list, and was the seventh person to view the house on the first day it was available, and seven more were school for the next day. I jumped to the head of the queue as I had no property to sell, offered asking price, and was prequalified for a mortgage.
P, You sound like a sharp business person. Have you purchased more than one property in the UK?

I look forward to the difference in process in the UK, should be interesting. A lot of people get perplexed over all the mundane issues involved in moving somewhere new. To me it's an opportunity to learn and it helps as well when one has a ton of patience. I have three kids. I'm marathon tested. My only issue is the VAT but there is no way around it because we will keep our home residence in the States. And we have investment properties.
UkWinds5353 is online now  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 4:25 am
  #396  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 80,077
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
P, You sound like a sharp business person. Have you purchased more than one property in the UK?

I look forward to the difference in process in the UK, should be interesting. A lot of people get perplexed over all the mundane issues involved in moving somewhere new. To me it's an opportunity to learn and it helps as well when one has a ton of patience. I have three kids. I'm marathon tested. My only issue is the VAT but there is no way around it because we will keep our home residence in the States. And we have investment properties.
IMO one huge difference is that the purchase is not legally binding until contracts have been exchanged. That can take a week or so...or months. Until that time, either parties can back out without any penalties. If you are able to pay cash...you can exchange contacts and close within a couple of weeks. Normally a house purchase takes a couple of months or more.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 14th 2019 at 4:27 am.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 4:52 am
  #397  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: tauranga NZ
Posts: 124
jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl View Post
One of the most important aspects of having a well balanced lifestyle would be having a job. What does the Brit do for a living? Is he going to be able to get a job 'anywhere' in the UK?

Presume he knows he has to obtain a visa for his American wife.

Personally I like the Surrey, Sussex area .... good schools, great countryside, pubs, parks etc.
Sussex is my place of birth and I love it but housing is a bit pricey. Easy access to London being a bonus. Can't grumble about the weather too much either, not too wet, not too cold and a reasonable amount of sun. I spent the 55 years of my life there so had a bit of experience. we left for NZ 9 years ago to join our family in The Bay of Plenty .
jayandbill is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 5:44 am
  #398  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,403
UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
IMO one huge difference is that the purchase is not legally binding until contracts have been exchanged. That can take a week or so...or months. Until that time, either parties can back out without any penalties. If you are able to pay cash...you can exchange contacts and close within a couple of weeks. Normally a house purchase takes a couple of months or more.
That is quite tricky and a bit suspenseful when thinking about it. Someone could come alone and offer a higher bid and stop the deal on the table. Talk about a unforeseen roadblock. Wow that is interesting.

I usually prefer properties that have been on the market for a while. Makes negotiating on both sides less stressful and concise. We will have a reasonable amount of time for inspections and it will be a cash purchase.
UkWinds5353 is online now  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 5:50 am
  #399  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 12,041
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
That is quite tricky and a bit suspenseful when thinking about it. Someone could come alone and offer a higher bid and stop the deal on the table. Talk about a unforeseen roadblock. Wow that is interesting.

I usually prefer properties that have been on the market for a while. Makes negotiating on both sides less stressful and concise. We will have a reasonable amount of time for inspections and it will be a cash purchase.
I've purchased three properties for cash in the UK, the shortest time for contracts to be exchanged was 5 weeks, the longest 7 months.

Just some help with your terminology, the tax you pay on purchasing a property is Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT), not VAT.
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 7:36 am
  #400  
BE Forum Addict
 
rebs's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Beautiful Dorset, UK
Posts: 2,162
rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
My wife!
My wife's desire to execute her plan of getting all our kids out of America and living near us in Europe. Our middle kid loves London as much as living in the States thus the London plan. She knows by getting the oldest one onboard that makes it easier to talk the middle kid into moving which eventually will convince our youngest child back with the family after he finishes University. The middle kid and our youngest are best friends and my darling wife is fully aware. My wife the Chess player.
I've told my wife that her plan could go awry especially if our youngest son meets a young lady and falls in love. There's love everywhere in California.
Yes, you have mentioned before about the draw of London for your kids in general terms - I was asking about how you had selected the specific area within London for the houses you linked to. What was it about that particular part within London (rather than London in general) that you liked.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I've purchased three properties for cash in the UK, the shortest time for contracts to be exchanged was 5 weeks, the longest 7 months.

Just some help with your terminology, the tax you pay on purchasing a property is Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT), not VAT.
UKwinds, I can't remember if you are keeping your house in the US, but something to perhaps keep in mind is that there is additional stamp duty (over and above the normal amounts) due if you have other property -
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/stamp-du...rates-apply-to
rebs is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 8:47 am
  #401  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 28,277
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
That is amazing. Their fee must be a lot less than the 6% charged by real estate agents in the States.
Our house is currently on the market (wanna buy it?!), and our estate agent fee is 0.75%. It's a 'normal' estate agent, but you can use agents such as Purple Bricks that don't charge commission too, just a set fee. Unfortunately for Purple Bricks, they valued our house at £400,000 less than all the other agents, so we rather lost confidence in them with that and didn't pursue it. No agent proposed a fee of more than 1% to us.

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
Thank you for that information. Do you have any idea what the usual fee is for a relocation agent in addition to the fee for a UK real estate agent ?
And is it negotiable? I don't want to break decorum or rules but I do look for avenues to save money when possible.
A relocation agent normally charges a set fee (say £500), and then a 'success fee' of around 1.5%-2%, from which the original set fee is deducted. That's for a house search, if you want driving around areas, schools, help with other stuff, then they usually charge extra for that.

HTH.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 11:49 am
  #402  
BE Forum Addict
 
yellowroom's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Was Virginia, now Yorkshire.
Posts: 1,869
yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 View Post
Thank you for that eye opening information. This is going to make the process a lot more time consuming and complicated. We were thinking the purchasing process would be similar to here in the States. Hire a agent and give them their marching orders and given some time they present findings that work best for the buyers goals. Thank God we're starting early.
The vast majority of houses for sale are listed at rightmove , even other online agents like purplebricks. Many agents list on zoopla too, but the latter is mostly useful for historical searches of house prices. The expectation is that you will put in the legwork.
yellowroom is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 12:51 pm
  #403  
Lt Col (Retd)
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 46,057
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
...... A relocation agent normally charges a set fee (say £500), and then a 'success fee' of around 1.5%-2%, from which the original set fee is deducted. That's for a house search, if you want driving around areas, schools, help with other stuff, then they usually charge extra for that. ......
And I suspect that most of the business for relocation agents is from corporations paying for the service for their employees, not from Joe Public, who is already stretching the limits of his budget. In other words, if I had an "extra" 2% available, I would add it to the price I would pay for a house, not pay for a relocation agent.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 14th 2019 at 1:04 pm.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 1:00 pm
  #404  
BE Forum Addict
 
rebs's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Beautiful Dorset, UK
Posts: 2,162
rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Could always apply to be on Location Location Location, and not have to pay for the service

https://www.channel4.com/4viewers/ta...ation-location
rebs is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 1:33 pm
  #405  
BE Forum Addict
 
yellowroom's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Was Virginia, now Yorkshire.
Posts: 1,869
yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
And I suspect that most of the business for relocation agents is from corporations paying for the service for their employees, not from Joe Public, who is already stretching the limits of his budget. In other words, if I had an "extra" 2% available, I would add it to the price I would pay for a house, not pay for a relocation agent.
Agree. I know I've only one experience of using a realtor to find somewhere to live, but I found the process very restrictive and time-consuming. A low brow version of Locationx3 if you like. I didn't like it because I like being in control of processes like finding somewhere to live, and I don't think the realtor really "got" me.

It makes sense if you are so new to the country that you would be lost without a realtor or relocation agent, or are moving to a place with very different language/culture, or have trailing spouse/family that needs the support you get from your colleagues. But the advantage of the UK system is being able to look at the property details yourself and then visit the area/road to rule it in/out before even making an appointment to step in the front door. And these days you can do it all online (even viewing the area/road). All my house purchases were done the old fashioned way of visiting all the estate agents in town, registering my interest with them all, coming out with handfuls of A4 listings (with one photo at the top of them), reading them all, narrowing them down and then driving round the area with AtoZ in hand to narrow down even more and THEN ringing the agent to make a viewing appointment. It makes me tired just thinking about it!
yellowroom is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.