Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Jan 28th 2019, 4:24 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by scot47
i notice that the "Dream House" pictured above has, as its dominat feature, the two-car garage. Understandable in a society which is now dominated by the automobile. O tempora, o mores !
My friend will need the space. He enjoys a variety of hobbies and the garage is one of his favorite amenities. A lot of fun having home projects including vehicle maintenance. I dabble a little myself in the garage.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 6:57 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at properties in Hale, Didsbury, Prestbury, Nether Alderley Wilmslow and Alderley Edge. Any opinions about those areas? I saw several nice properties in Northwich but that location is a considerable distance from Manchester. If my friends are willing to commute about 35 minutes their housing options will increase a great deal.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jan 28th 2019 at 7:09 am.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 7:00 am
Banned

This one caught my eye.

Old Jan 28th 2019, 8:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I was looking at properties in Hale, Didsbury, Prestbury, Nether Alderley Wilmslow and Alderley Edge. Any opinions about those areas? I saw several nice properties in Northwich but that location is a considerable distance from Manchester. If my friends are willing to commute about 35 minutes their housing options will increase a great deal.
Hale/Hale Barns/Alderley Edge/Nether Alderley/Wilmslow/Prestbury are all good places. I would choose Prestbury or Alderley Edge. Property is expensive in all those areas.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 8:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I have to ask. Is this friend actually you? Because you're investing a heck of a lot of time in researching for somebody else! Surely they can narrow down their own areas based on their visit?
Old Jan 28th 2019, 7:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hale/Hale Barns/Alderley Edge/Nether Alderley/Wilmslow/Prestbury are all good places. I would choose Prestbury or Alderley Edge. Property is expensive in all those areas.
Thank you JG. That narrows my search quite a bit. I sent them about 7 options that might help once they are back in the UK. Everything cost more than it should, that is just the way of life. But as the saying goes we get what we pay for.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 8:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, I have to ask. Is this friend actually you? Because you're investing a heck of a lot of time in researching for somebody else! Surely they can narrow down their own areas based on their visit?
LOL. It's not our time yet but it will be in a few years once our youngest is finished with high school. And yes in case you were wondering, I do remind my buddy that he did luck out in having such a good friend. His wife enjoys the process of looking for homes and good areas far more than he. I'm sure you know the type. He would rather roll out of bed and find a good option on day one but as you probably know it doesn't work that way. I have a sibling that is the same way. Hates shopping for everything. When searching for the best area to call home not to mention a suitable property, due diligence is required.

You never want to be someone's cautionary tale when making a major change in life. And fortunately for me the process of research is something I not only appreciate but also enjoy it, but even more so once the task is complete.

I will say my family's move will be a lot easier than my friends because we are 100% sure that the Midlands is where we want to be. It's a lot tougher when you are not even sure of what region in the UK is right for you. I don't mind helping. And I appreciate all the great feedback on BE. Btw, if there's any charge for all the help send me the bill and I'll forward it to my friends lol
Old Feb 1st 2019, 12:57 am
Banned

I'm happy to report that my friends made it back to the UK safely. One of my buddy's goals was to show his wife the great benefits of moving back home and being able to travel to Europe and allow their children and wife to experience other cultures. Everybody loved it, and he said the trip couldn't have gone better. They loved the Netherlands and Belgium, and they know their making the right decision for the family's future. So one goal accomplished now on to the next. They spent Tuesday recovering in the hotel in Manchester catching up on sleep lol.

Yesterday and today they toured several areas in Manchester, and on the outskirts, they looked at multiple listings. They both are impressed with Manchester and will be there until Saturday then heading over to Liverpool. Tonight they had dinner at a Indian restaurant and it's the first time his wife has tried curry chicken. He had lamb, which sounds amazing btw.

And while looking at a few houses that I sent them there was a house for sale in the same neighborhood that really caught their eye. They have an appointment to see it tomorrow and is less expensive than several of the homes I sent them and he said it's in a excellent school district.. He said several of the real estate companies appear to be closed on Sunday. I didn't know that. Here in the States the weekend days are idea for having Open houses because most people have those days off from work. That's interesting.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 8:32 am
Banned

This one in Leyland, and not that far from Liverpool.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

This one in Leyland, and not that far from Liverpool.
Nice
Did his wife like the curry !! That’s on my list of to dos when we get back.
Real estate agents are very really out and about on Sundays they all at home making /eating a Sunday Roast or down at the pub having a Sunday Roast.

if they go to Liverpool One a good place to eat is
Côte Bistro
51 Paradise Street
Liverpool
L1 3EU

Its near John Lewis which always well worth walking round.

Last edited by Sammy2018; Feb 1st 2019 at 11:31 am.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 12:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sammy2018

Nice
Did his wife like the curry !! That’s on my list of to dos when we get back.
Real estate agents are very really out and about on Sundays they all at home making /eating a Sunday Roast or down at the pub having a Sunday Roast.

if they go to Liverpool One a good place to eat is
Côte Bistro
51 Paradise Street
Liverpool
L1 3EU

Its near John Lewis which always well worth walking round.

I think both of them and the kids enjoyed the restaurant. Actually makes me want to give it a try, especially the lamb meal. I'm a fan of Greek food. My buddy has taken his wife to a Indian restaurant in NYC but the experience didn't go over well. Guess it was just a matter of taking her to an authentic Indian restaurant back home. I'll mention your suggestion about the Liverpool eatery to them.

My friends didn't mention anything about the snow storm in the UK. Maybe it wasn't that bad in Manchester, or could be the snow did not stay on the ground that long. Usually the temps have to be below freezing for snow to stick.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Feb 1st 2019 at 12:44 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

I think both of them and the kids enjoyed the restaurant. Actually makes me want to give it a try, especially the lamb meal. I'm a fan of Greek food. My buddy has taken his wife to a Indian restaurant in NYC but the experience didn't go over well. Guess it was just a matter of taking her to an authentic Indian restaurant back home. I'll mention your suggestion about the Liverpool eatery to them.

My friends didn't mention anything about the snow storm in the UK. Maybe it wasn't that bad in Manchester, or could be the snow did not stay on the ground that long. Usually the temps have to be below freezing for snow to stick.
Snow comes and goes in the NW I know they had freezing fog recently and Mum said it cleared quickly she lives along a country lane so those roads are the last that the gritters go down with the salt.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 1:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sammy2018

Snow comes and goes in the NW I know they had freezing fog recently and Mum said it cleared quickly she lives along a country lane so those roads are the last that the gritters go down with the salt.
That makes sense. I'm thinking the weather in Liverpool must be the same as Manchester. The distance between the two cities is not much. But being closer to the ocean might factor in somewhat.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 9:06 pm
Banned

Seem like there is about a 50k difference for the average cost of homes between Liverpool and Manchester with the latter being higher.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=UkWinds5353;12630986]Seem like there is about a 50k difference for the average cost of homes between Liverpool and Manchester with the latter being higher.[/QUOTE

Big difference looking forward to the summary of Liverpool and surrounding area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.