Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Jan 27th 2019, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Very attractive option.
I like that one ☝️
Old Jan 27th 2019, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

Seem like the UK is having a mild winter this year and especially compared to other regions of Europe. Do you and your family plan to move home before spring? By that time there should be quite a few additional properties on the market. And I agree a nearby airport is a major plus when picking a area.
As soon as we get his visa we plan to get a flight home which we hoped would have been last week. My mother informs me they are having gale force winds today ( however the sun is out ) and snow is forecast for Tuesday.
I am going to enjoy the seasons ( for a while anyway)
Old Jan 27th 2019, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammy2018
My wife and I were out with our son yesterday. He moved back end of September 2017 after living in Texas and Louisiana for 30 years from age 5. He said that he was really enjoying the seasons this year, including the lengthening days as we head towards Spring.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad
My wife and I were out with our son yesterday. He moved back end of September 2017 after living in Texas and Louisiana for 30 years from age 5. He said that he was really enjoying the seasons this year, including the lengthening days as we head towards Spring.
I have only ever been to Houston once for a business meeting stayed over night and flew back the next day. It was many years ago. I think that was where I had my first experience at I think it was called Texas de Brazil.

We are actually considering flying to Houston and flying Singapore direct to Manchester from there. Prices are 1/2 what Virgin is asking from Orlando to Manchester.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I have only ever been to Houston once for a business meeting stayed over night and flew back the next day. It was many years ago. I think that was where I had my first experience at I think it was called Texas de Brazil.

We are actually considering flying to Houston and flying Singapore direct to Manchester from there. Prices are 1/2 what Virgin is asking from Orlando to Manchester.
We have flown Houston to Manchester on Singapore Airlines several times since they opened up that route a few years ago. I would recommend them.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

In which case access a major airport will be key.
My Aunt lives near Manchester in Rochdale.
We will actually be 15 mins from Southport.
NYC was a little to fast for me and intimidating even in my younger years. I visited there when I lived in LA.
Ooooh Sammy you have made me feel very homesick. We lived in Ainsdale for over 10 yrs . I loved it ,and nearby Southport. If OH hadn't been more or less forced to move I would still be there... Snic
Old Jan 27th 2019, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
I know DIdsbury is an area a lot aspire to live in and know the area very well...but it has just never floated my boat at all....not keen on the surrounding areas...or not green enough amongst some of reasons why, but each to their own. Prestwich for the similar reasons.
I really like the Wirral , Caldy, West Kirby and Heswall are a fav of ours and if we were to stay in the North West, I prefer Liverpool nowadays to Manchester...After Australia we found we like being near to the coast and your not from Chester or Manchester.
​​​​​​

​​​​​
So much to choose from I agree. I think Didsbury was desirable because of its close proximity to Manchester in the 'old ' days. Yet It was leafy and almost rural. Not so now . It was also a very affluent mostly Jewish area, ditto Prestwich . It's horses for courses now as Manchester is extremely busy , with a lot of heavy traffic .
I often thought they missed a trick by not providing speedy and efficient connections out to Southport ,Blackpool and Morecombe These are the places young affluent families should be heading for. Some breathtaking countryside ,yet not that far from two major cities. If people can comment for three hours in and out of London An hour or so here shouldn't be a big problem
Bill Bryson ( American author ) is famous for saying that he thought the view from Morecombe across the wide sands and the estuary to the mountains of the Lake District on the other side ,was the most stunning he had seen in the whole of the UK. Why it is neglected and mostly ignored is one of the mysteries of life.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here is a awesome home in Manchester. Has a really good feel to this one. Both are very nice.
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...68070361.html#
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...58114866.html#

Oh my lord UKWinds you are pulling at the old heart strings ,and pushing the nostalgia button for me

I used to drive past that first house many a time on my way to work, or to my elder sisters house.( altho of course I didn't know it)

The second house is just around the corner from where my middle sister used to live in Eccles. ( and yes the totally delicious Eccles cakes came from that town

My elder sister is now in a rather dingy home for the elderly in Cambridge, and my middle sister in a gorgeous 'sheltered' retirement bungalow in Adelaide Australia . How different their lives have turned out to be.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GeniB
Ooooh Sammy you have made me feel very homesick. We lived in Ainsdale for over 10 yrs . I loved it ,and nearby Southport. If OH hadn't been more or less forced to move I would still be there... Snic
I used to go Ainsdale beach as a kid with my mum brothers and sister when dad was at work. I was talking to my Mum today she took our dog for a few walks this week in the dunes of Birkdale ... I can not wait to get home.
In April we took the coastal road around Southport and through Ainsdale. So many great places to live around that area and some beautiful homes ..We take the train into Liverpool from Ormskirk as you can park at that train station for free. I actually trained as a nurse at Ormskirk General Hospital when it was a cottage Hospital it’s now much bigger and Edge Hill was a college and now it’s a university. Lots of changes but I love the countryside.

Old Jan 27th 2019, 9:32 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

As soon as we get his visa we plan to get a flight home which we hoped would have been last week. My mother informs me they are having gale force winds today ( however the sun is out ) and snow is forecast for Tuesday.
Wow, you guys are moving very soon. You must be very excited. There truly is nothing like feeling at home. Do you have a ton of things to ship?
Old Jan 27th 2019, 10:25 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

So much to choose from I agree. I think Didsbury was desirable because of its close proximity to Manchester in the 'old ' days. Yet It was leafy and almost rural. Not so now . It was also a very affluent mostly Jewish area, ditto Prestwich . It's horses for courses now as Manchester is extremely busy , with a lot of heavy traffic .
I often thought they missed a trick by not providing speedy and efficient connections out to Southport ,Blackpool and Morecombe These are the places young affluent families should be heading for. Some breathtaking countryside ,yet not that far from two major cities. If people can comment for three hours in and out of London An hour or so here shouldn't be a big problem
Bill Bryson ( American author ) is famous for saying that he thought the view from Morecombe across the wide sands and the estuary to the mountains of the Lake District on the other side ,was the most stunning he had seen in the whole of the UK. Why it is neglected and mostly ignored is one of the mysteries of life.
We just never know what area will strike a person's fancy. I watched a episode of "Escape to the country" and the buyers were searching for properties in Devon. Picturesque to the tenth power if you ask me but add more people and a greater number of activities and that changes the whole mix, but depending on the beholder that difference could be for the better or worse. I personally love the beauty of rolling hills and mountainous views but put that somewhere near a large city and man I'm on board. Now I can still enjoy all the conveniences that cities offer from a distance like shopping, sporting events ect, while having the visual tranquility of awesome scenery. That is happiness!
Old Jan 27th 2019, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Wow, you guys are moving very soon. You must be very excited. There truly is nothing like feeling at home. Do you have a ton of things to ship?
Nope nothing to ship we decided we came with suitcases and we are leaving with suitcases.
We sold/ or donated everything. We lived in our home for 23 years.

I did however get a ToR because of the dog and listed some things just in case I send a few things via sendmybag.

We are hoping this week will be our week and we get that decision made email.

I will also be tracking your friends and following the next installments of their journey.
This is a great thread thanks for sharing their journey.

Old Jan 27th 2019, 11:11 pm
Banned

Oh my lord UKWinds you are pulling at the old heart strings ,and pushing the nostalgia button for me

I used to drive past that first house many a time on my way to work, or to my elder sisters house.( altho of course I didn't know it)

The second house is just around the corner from where my middle sister used to live in Eccles. ( and yes the totally delicious Eccles cakes came from that town

My elder sister is now in a rather dingy home for the elderly in Cambridge, and my middle sister in a gorgeous 'sheltered' retirement bungalow in Adelaide Australia . How different their lives have turned out to be.
Oh my gosh, isn't the world so small in many ways!
I hope seeing that house brings back wonderful memories for you. My friends are trying to figure out where they want to live, and the best house that will make the most sense for their family. I'm constantly sending them pictures of homes that might work well. But along the way I can't help but notice various options that might work well for my wife and our family. Homes are very expensive but if the location and the home feels like a good fit then maybe the investment will be worth it. A house is so much more than just a shelter to live in or for keeping one's belongings. When ever I think back to my much younger years the memory of my mother's home is always there. And it's kind of fun to know that the place where my siblings and I grew up has other people living there creating new memories. Maybe someone's child is enjoying the same treehouse that was used by kids in our family. That would be very cool.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jan 27th 2019 at 11:14 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 11:39 pm
Banned

Nope nothing to ship we decided we came with suitcases and we are leaving with suitcases.
We sold/ or donated everything. We lived in our home for 23 years.

I did however get a ToR because of the dog and listed some things just in case I send a few things via sendmybag.

We are hoping this week will be our week and we get that decision made email.

I will also be tracking your friends and following the next installments of their journey.
This is a great thread thanks for sharing their journey.

Sammy you are wonderful.
I'm like you, it pleases me to see other people do well. My friends tried to sell as many of their things not labeled essential, in order to make their move a bit more enjoyable because this type of major decision should be a happy time in one's life. One adventure complete and moving on to the next. And at the end of the day it makes the transition quite a bit less stressful
Old Jan 28th 2019, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

i notice that the "Dream House" pictured above has, as its dominat feature, the two-car garage. Understandable in a society which is now dominated by the automobile. O tempora, o mores !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.