Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Jan 13th 2019, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Knutsford, Woodford, High Lane, But are all nice areas near to Manchester, I would also look at Tarporley in Cheshire and also Heswall and Caldy on the Wirral (great views over to the Welsh mountains and not that far from either Manchester, Chester and Liverpool. I do like Birmingham but I personally would not live anywhere in the near surrounding areas. Glad your friends are having a great time.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 1:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Knutsford, Woodford, High Lane, But are all nice areas near to Manchester, I would also look at Tarporley in Cheshire and also Heswall and Caldy on the Wirral (great views over to the Welsh mountains and not that far from either Manchester, Chester and Liverpool. I do like Birmingham but I personally would not live anywhere in the near surrounding areas. Glad your friends are having a great time.
Tarporley and Knutsford.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 9:48 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Alderley Edge, Prestbury area of South Manchester are lovely areas. Close to M6/M56/M62, close to Manchester Airport.
Thanks Jerseygirl

I'll convey that information. They are having so much fun. I had to mention to them they do have to come back to the States for a few more months before moving over permanently. In response they sent me pictures of a French Bistro they will be dining at in France. Always the characters!
Old Jan 13th 2019, 9:59 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Thank you brits1.
They are going to have several excellent choices to consider. I hate to say I told them so but....
I just kinda felt the Midlands is an idea region of the UK to find much of everything they might want to be near to access. And it's not that far from London for those fun getaway trips. Pretty much having one's cake and eating it to. And my buddy told me driving distances are next to nothing compared to the states. He just has to help the Mrs get use to driving on the other side of the car and road.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jan 13th 2019 at 10:01 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 2:10 am
Banned

Once my friends find the idea property they will need to move quickly because I'm noticing that prime investments move quite fast in the UK. I've been taking a peak and several of the houses that caught my eye sold in less than one week. Very competitive market.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 2:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Once my friends find the idea property they will need to move quickly because I'm noticing that prime investments move quite fast in the UK. I've been taking a peak and several of the houses that caught my eye sold in less than one week. Very competitive market.
Would they not be better off renting to start with? Just the stamp duty alone on a £700k property would be £25,000, add in solicitors fees and moving costs and it’s probably around £30k. An expensive mistake to make if they decide they don’t like the area after a few months and would rather be elsewhere......
Old Jan 15th 2019, 8:30 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Would they not be better off renting to start with? Just the stamp duty alone on a £700k property would be £25,000, add in solicitors fees and moving costs and it’s probably around £30k. An expensive mistake to make if they decide they don’t like the area after a few months and would rather be elsewhere......
+1

Several days in one location simply isn't enough time to experience the whole thing.

No idea what UK rental periods are these days - I was used to 3 months, potentially renewable - so 3 or 6 months would seem a jolly good idea for starters.
Old Jan 15th 2019, 11:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Renting first is their game plan. I was referencing how quickly properties sell in general in their target areas, and not just for my friends. I looked at a handful of properties and nearly all sold within two weeks. They were exceptional investments and quite attractive, but two weeks on, then off the market, feels very much like we are dealing with a seller's market. I was under the impression the market had slowed down in the UK. But I can be wrong of course. And thank you for mentioning the stamp duty tax. There are quite a few people not aware of that tax. My friends sold their State's side home early with that and many other reasons in mind.

I'm afraid my family might not be able to escape that tax a few years from now because we are considering keeping the house and using it for winter holidays. The stamp duty penalty punishes those that move to the UK and buy a home while owning another property abroad. I think the loophole would require a person to sell their home then buy in the UK, and then turn around and buy in another country. Might be possible to sell one's property to a tax shelter and later buy it back. A specialized attorney could figure it all out. We will see.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jan 16th 2019 at 12:10 am.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 2:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Stamp duty is very progressive though. We bought our flat for £140,000 in 2015, and the stamp duty was minimal. It's only above £250,000 that the rates really go up. And there are plenty of places in the UK where decent flats are less than 150 and decent houses less than 250.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/de...1d3b40cabc3bdc

Come and live in the posher part of my town. You can take me out for a drink.

Remember the old adage Down South, "Sell your cardboard box and buy a castle from the Jocks."

Last edited by scot47; Jan 17th 2019 at 2:45 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 6:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/de...1d3b40cabc3bdc

Come and live in the posher part of my town. You can take me out for a drink.

Remember the old adage Down South, "Sell your cardboard box and buy a castle from the Jocks."
That place is gorgeous! I want to live there! Some of the carpets are outstanding in a 1970s sort of way - my mother would have approved. From the photos, it looks like it's in an excellent state of repair and decoration. However, it is odd that they chose a rainy day to photograph it, the back garden looks a bit sodden..
Old Jan 17th 2019, 9:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by robin1234
Stamp duty is very progressive though. We bought our flat for £140,000 in 2015, and the stamp duty was minimal. It's only above £250,000 that the rates really go up. And there are plenty of places in the UK where decent flats are less than 150 and decent houses less than 250.
The government really does love our money. I totally understand the purpose of the stamp duty tax. I'm sure there are tons of people that wish to buy second homes as investments and will park those funds in properties in the UK. And the residual effect is the cost of housing going up and pricing the nearby residents out of the market. That happens all the time in America. But I really feel for people that are looking for properties one million pounds and higher. 15% hurts! Might be less dining out evenings.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
The government really does love our money. I totally understand the purpose of the stamp duty tax. I'm sure there are tons of people that wish to buy second homes as investments and will park those funds in properties in the UK. And the residual effect is the cost of housing going up and pricing the nearby residents out of the market. That happens all the time in America. But I really feel for people that are looking for properties one million pounds and higher. 15% hurts! Might be less dining out evenings.
So where are your friends now I am reading the thread with intrigue as to where they will settle.
I was born and lived near Liverpool for half my life the other part in California and Florida.
Have to be honest I love Cornwall and Devon ...

Old Jan 17th 2019, 10:01 pm
Banned

It's possible to find beautiful properties in the UK.
Exhibit A.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67685335.html#
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...67685335.html#
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67685335.html#
[img=left]https://media.rightmove.co.uk/dir/crop/10:9-16:9/45k/44321/67685335/44321_GLG180147_IMG_01_0000_max_476x317.jpg[/img]I can do without multiple creature comforts but I like a comfort pad to crash. Especially having kids. I've told my wife it's she and I versus the kids which essentially means space so everyone can coexist.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 10:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sammy2018

So where are your friends now I am reading the thread with intrigue as to where they will settle.
I was born and lived near Liverpool for half my life the other part in California and Florida.
Have to be honest I love Cornwall and Devon ...

Hi
The world travelers left for France on Tuesday and by all accounts are having way too much fun. They went to a restaurant in Paris last night that had what they called the best dessert either has ever experienced. It was a chocolate mousse. I've never eaten one of those. I asked them if it was better than Crispy Crème donuts lol.
They leave for Toulouse tomorrow. One night there, then on to Belgium.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.