Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Oct 6th 2019, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Needed supplies? Why?
Because, if we crash out of the EU with no deal, there is a possibility that there will be shortages of foods, medicines and fuel. The government's own papers (yellowhammer papers) confirm this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49670123
Old Oct 6th 2019, 2:08 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Time is moving fast and we are now about 20+ days before Brexit and the resulting effects on the people in the UK and the many people planning a move. Hopefully folks are storing up on needed supplies just in case. I've heard Brits say they think the larger cities might be best prepared. Time will tell.
I don't think people need to become survivalists over Brexit. In a worst case scenario, the yellow papers said there may be a hold up in the supply chain across the Chanel which could lead to decrease or shorter supply of some fresh foods, leading to higher prices for these items. I'm not saying that there won't be any effect, but I don't think anyone's going to starve. Anyway, you can't stockpile fresh food unless you freeze it, and then it's not fresh. You also can't stockpile medicines.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 12:58 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Because, if we crash out of the EU with no deal, there is a possibility that there will be shortages of foods, medicines and fuel. The government's own papers (yellowhammer papers) confirm this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49670123
Exactly. There are so many unknowns when experiencing a new change to one's environment. It's logical for the folks in the UK to feel tension.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 1:43 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't think people need to become survivalists over Brexit. In a worst case scenario, the yellow papers said there may be a hold up in the supply chain across the Chanel which could lead to decrease or shorter supply of some fresh foods, leading to higher prices for these items. I'm not saying that there won't be any effect, but I don't think anyone's going to starve. Anyway, you can't stockpile fresh food unless you freeze it, and then it's not fresh. You also can't stockpile medicines.
How great it would be if this situation is solved before all the sides involved give up and walk away. My wife's sister has inlaws that have already been affected by just the threat of Brexit with a job lost in the automotive industry. Vast majority of the Brits I met in our two months in the UK didn't seem overly bothered and most of those felt that there is no way a Hard Brexit will happen. And they are probably correct. Just feels like a lot of unneeded tension put on folks based on an agenda of a few people in a political class that eventually morphed into a referendum. One thing is for sure Brits are a very tough people. Probably tougher than we Americans.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 6:11 am
Banned

My wife is still on a major high and can't wait till our December visit. Being there in winter will tell me how well I'll adjust to wet cold weather. Don't own a pair of long johns but I guest that is about to change.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 12:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is still on a major high and can't wait till our December visit. Being there in winter will tell me how well I'll adjust to wet cold weather. Don't own a pair of long johns but I guest that is about to change.
Exactly how cold do you think it gets here?!? I have thermal underwear. I only ever wear it when I'm in skiing in the Alps.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 12:45 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Exactly how cold do you think it gets here?!? I have thermal underwear. I only ever wear it when I'm in skiing in the Alps.
On my first visit to the UK, about 10 years ago, I packed long johns. Wore them once and nearly died from overheating!

Old Oct 7th 2019, 12:50 pm
Concierge

Unless you're planning to camp in the great outdoors in the middle of winter, long johns are the last thing you need. I lived in the north of England for 3 years, even the coldest of days were effectively dealt with by wearing a coat with a hood and, on a few occasions, gloves.

Remember that nearly everywhere has central heating. So if you're out and about for the day/night, shopping theatre or whatever, you'll boil as soon as you get inside if you're wearing long johns. Layers are the way to go, something you can easily put on and take off.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Unless you're planning to camp in the great outdoors in the middle of winter, long johns are the last thing you need. I lived in the north of England for 3 years, even the coldest of days were effectively dealt with by wearing a coat with a hood and, on a few occasions, gloves..
Thermal undies come in very useful for anyone watching outside sports in winter - whether it's standing on the sidelines watching your kids or PL footie. Sitting/standing for any length of time outside can get cold very quickly.

Old Oct 7th 2019, 5:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Thermal undies come in very useful for anyone watching outside sports in winter - whether it's standing on the sidelines watching your kids or PL footie. Sitting/standing for any length of time outside can get cold very quickly.
I stand on the side of a rugby pitch for matches twice a week, and for 6+ hours watching my daughter compete on her horse, I’ve never felt as if I needed thermals. Maybe it’s a combination of my hardy northern blood and being in the sunny south that does it.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 5:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Took my Toronto born and bred SIL to Liverpool over the Christmas period a few years ago. He said he had never been so cold. It’s the damp that get you. In N America it gets bitterly cold but it is normally dry not damp like it is in the UK.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 5:25 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

I stand on the side of a rugby pitch for matches twice a week, and for 6+ hours watching my daughter compete on her horse, I’ve never felt as if I needed thermals. Maybe it’s a combination of my hardy northern blood and being in the sunny south that does it.
Your daughter plays rugby on a horse???

Things have obviously moved on a bit since I left.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 5:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Your daughter plays rugby on a horse???

Things have obviously moved on a bit since I left.
Two different children, with two different passions. Both annoyingly involve spending ridiculous amounts of time outside and early starts, why on earth they couldn't take up water colour painting is beyond me.

Although horse rugby is quite inspired, I may suggest it.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 5:50 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Two different children, with two different passions. Both annoyingly involve spending ridiculous amounts of time outside and early starts, why on earth they couldn't take up water colour painting is beyond me.

Although horse rugby is quite inspired, I may suggest it.
Thanks for the clarification. Next stop, extreme pastels.

...Dorset was nice but a little too quiet for my busy family. Brighton on the other hand was Brilliant. But Liverpool surprised me!
Very glad to read that you enjoyed your recent recce and that you'll be back for more in a couple of months.

Two points, if I may:

1) yellowroom is quite correct to point out the benefits of thermals; apart from attending sporting events as a spectator, they can be a welcome addition when waiting on exposed station platforms for extended periods of time.

2) Brighton on the other hand was Brilliant. This still has me Did you try to enter or leave by road or rail at peak times? Or on a Sunday as far as rail a replacement bus service is concerned?

I don't really have a downer on Brighton, but I find it overpriced, difficult to negotiate, and I'm convinced that there are many better locations out there.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 7:49 pm
Banned

Hi Christmas

Everything is relative. If cool or cold weather feels comfortable then thermal wear is seen as overkill. But if 60 degree tempts feel boarder line cold...…

At night in the UK, in only the month of September my family members wore jackets but we're use to Florida weather.
The test for me will be how wet are the winters. I can handle cold...kinda. but cold and wet is going to feel crazy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.