Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Jul 14th 2019, 10:33 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
From what you've posted so far, then yes, I would say too isolated to fit your requirements.

How frequently would you and your wife want to visit London? Or indeed to have the kids come to visit you?
I was really asking how Jersey and her partner would feel about Cornwall's potential isolation and if they could adapt . It's too far west for the wife & I, and the plans we want to achieve. I hear it's beautiful and there is nothing like living in the country but we're still interested in activities that are usually found more often in or near a metro area. If the wife want to go to a museum or to a art gallery it will make sense to be near driving distance. You know the old saying. Wanting to have and eat cake too.....

Bucks, could you live in Cornwall?
Old Jul 14th 2019, 10:40 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I was really asking how Jersey and her partner would feel about Cornwall's potential isolation and if they could adapt . It's too far west for the wife & I, and the plans we want to achieve. I hear it's beautiful and there is nothing like living in the country but we're still interested in activities that are usually found more often in or near a metro area. If the wife want to go to a museum or to a art gallery it will make sense to be near driving distance. You know the old saying. Wanting to have and eat cake too.....

Bucks, could you live in Cornwall?
In another life, maybe.

Apart from not having any intention to return to the UK, Cornwall would frustrate me due to lack of decent transport links. It really is beautiful, but too remote, even for me.

I could possibly handle being in Devon (towards Somerset) but it's all academic this time around.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 12:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is betting Dorset will have most of what we're looking for including a tranquil environment and more affordable than the counties near London. Kind of hard not to enjoy life near the ocean. We're going to explore the areas from Poole all the way over to Brighton to see what strikes our fantasy.

Would you guys feel that Cornwall is too isolated?
That is one of the reasons I would not like to live there.
Old Jul 15th 2019, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
In another life, maybe.

Apart from not having any intention to return to the UK, Cornwall would frustrate me due to lack of decent transport links. It really is beautiful, but too remote, even for me.

I could possibly handle being in Devon (towards Somerset) but it's all academic this time around.
Too remote? You still have 60 million people around you, there are roads and even an airport and ferry port close by.
Old Jul 15th 2019, 7:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Too remote? You still have 60 million people around you, there are roads and even an airport and ferry port close by.
Still not easy to get anywhere, yes there is an airport but it's not exactly Heathrow! I love Cornwall, we go there regularly, but I couldn't live there full-time.
Old Jul 15th 2019, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Still not easy to get anywhere, yes there is an airport but it's not exactly Heathrow! I love Cornwall, we go there regularly, but I couldn't live there full-time.
True but how many people have the luxury (if you can call it that) of being next to one of the busiest airports in the world. Unless you're a frequent flyer, I don't see a benefit being very close to a major airport and you still have Bristol airport. It might be remote when it comes to employment, but you have everything else on your doorstep when it comes to activities. If you were living in Looe, it would only be 40 mins drive to Plymouth and you'd be on the ferry to France or Spain.
Old Jul 15th 2019, 9:42 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

True but how many people have the luxury (if you can call it that) of being next to one of the busiest airports in the world. Unless you're a frequent flyer, I don't see a benefit being very close to a major airport and you still have Bristol airport. It might be remote when it comes to employment, but you have everything else on your doorstep when it comes to activities. If you were living in Looe, it would only be 40 mins drive to Plymouth and you'd be on the ferry to France or Spain.
What type of fun activities does Cornwall offer? How are the winters there?
Old Jul 15th 2019, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What type of fun activities does Cornwall offer? How are the winters there?

https://www.visitcornwall.com/things-to-do/attractions
Old Jul 15th 2019, 11:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'd disagree that you have everything else on your doorstep when it comes to activities, getting anywhere else in the country can be a nightmare. The OP wants to be within easy distance of London, and it's not quick or easy no matter how you go. My husband has done London to Cornwall many times on the train when coming down to join us for a weekend, and even flown to Newquay airport a few times, but it's at least 4 hours door to door.

Ferry to France or Spain is fine, but expensive, if you can get to the southern ferry ports it's usually much cheaper and of course depends on whereabouts in Spain or France you want to go to. Bristol airport is fairly limited too, although I do love how small it is and how quickly and easily you can get through security! We flew to Geneva from there last year for skiing and it was great. But you can't go to a lot of destinations from there and flights can be much more expensive, which may mean a 4 or 5 hour drive to an airport elsewhere.

As I said, I love Cornwall and it's our second home, but I can't see how it would suit the OP from what he's said.
Old Jul 15th 2019, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'd disagree that you have everything else on your doorstep when it comes to activities, getting anywhere else in the country can be a nightmare. The OP wants to be within easy distance of London, and it's not quick or easy no matter how you go. My husband has done London to Cornwall many times on the train when coming down to join us for a weekend, and even flown to Newquay airport a few times, but it's at least 4 hours door to door.

Ferry to France or Spain is fine, but expensive, if you can get to the southern ferry ports it's usually much cheaper and of course depends on whereabouts in Spain or France you want to go to. Bristol airport is fairly limited too, although I do love how small it is and how quickly and easily you can get through security! We flew to Geneva from there last year for skiing and it was great. But you can't go to a lot of destinations from there and flights can be much more expensive, which may mean a 4 or 5 hour drive to an airport elsewhere.

As I said, I love Cornwall and it's our second home, but I can't see how it would suit the OP from what he's said.
Sure those who seek the London life will probably be disappointed but otherwise I wouldn't say it's more remote than other parts of the UK. London is really an exception and most people in Europe do not have that many flight destinations close by. Even people from Northern Ireland have to go to Dublin and people from the Netherlands travel to Frankfurt or Paris to get certain flights. Just depends what you enjoy really but be it sailing, surfing, coastal walks, parks (Dartmoor National Park is not far) , pubs/restaurants, other sports, museums it's all available (on a smaller scale). Getting to Dover from Liverpool is also over 5 hrs drive, so the same as driving from Truro to Dover but at least you have other ferry ports that are closer. So it's really just personal preferences.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 2:33 am
Banned

I wonder if moving to a smaller town in a region of the country that is more remote would make it difficult to build friendships? Possible example being Norwich, Cornwall even outside Cork(not in the UK).

A lot of people that move to sparsely populated areas do so sometimes because they want to get away from the rat race of metro areas, while other people enjoy the solitude and privacy of not having neighbors near their property. I never will forget driving through Wyoming and Montana and meeting people that told me their nearest neighbor lives about 10 miles away. And the people there truly enjoyed that life style which can in some way be a reminder of the frontier days when there was far more land per person and you could go days without seeing another human being. That would definitely be challenging for a social person.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Why don’t you just pick an area (the UK is so small it hardly matters where) and rent for a while until you’ve had time to explore the country properly and decide where you want to settle.

What would your ideal week look like? What would your wife’s ideal week look like? Once you’ve answered those questions, just use the internet to identify the communities that best cater to your combined interests. Pick one, rent a house and see how it goes.

Last edited by Helen1964; Jul 16th 2019 at 4:23 am.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I wonder if moving to a smaller town in a region of the country that is more remote would make it difficult to build friendships? Possible example being Norwich, Cornwall even outside Cork(not in the UK).

A lot of people that move to sparsely populated areas do so sometimes because they want to get away from the rat race of metro areas, while other people enjoy the solitude and privacy of not having neighbors near their property. I never will forget driving through Wyoming and Montana and meeting people that told me their nearest neighbor lives about 10 miles away. And the people there truly enjoyed that life style which can in some way be a reminder of the frontier days when there was far more land per person and you could go days without seeing another human being. That would definitely be challenging for a social person.
That your nearest neighbour lives 10 miles away would be very rare in the UK and Montana is a complete different level to most of Europe. According to data Montana has an area of 380.000 km² with just over 1 million people. The whole of Ireland covers an area of 84.400 km² with a population of around 6.6 million.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 7:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm not up with what the thoughts and criteria are. I can certainly offer thoughts on Dorset & Hampshire.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Isolated ? Cornwall ? Not at all. Ir is only 11 hours from Truro to Glasgow by train !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.