Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Jun 19th 2019, 3:11 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That's because it's not really London. Maybe officially a London suburb, but really an Essex town (and a pretty naff one at that). If you are happy being that far out of central London then I'd look at areas with fast train links instead, for example I live much further out of London but I can be in central London (Paddington station) in 25 mins on a fast train. You'll get more for your money but it could be quicker to get in to central London even though it's further out. Might be worth looking along the Crossrail route maybe?
Hey there.

Let me ask a question and borrow from your good opinions. If you were going to recommend 5 properties that are curb appeal to the tenth power and with the charm and character you showed in that previous property you posted, what would you pick in decent travel distance to London? And has village charm and historical relevance? And is not too far from malls and grocer shopping? Might be asking too much
Price range between 1.4m to 2.3m. We might be able to haggle the price down a bit. No more than 7 acres. Any advice is very much appreciated!

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Jun 19th 2019 at 3:18 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 3:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Hey there.

Let me ask a question and borrow from your good opinions. If you were going to recommend 5 properties that are curb appeal to the tenth power and with the charm and character you showed in that previous property you posted, what would you pick in decent travel distance to London? And has village charm and historical relevance? And is not too far from malls and grocer shopping? Might be asking too much
Price range between 1.4m to 2.3m. We might be able to haggle the price down a bit. No more than 7 acres. Any advice is very much appreciated!
If you want Christmasoompa to trawl through property websites and find you five properties that match your criteria, I think you need to start paying her!
Old Jun 19th 2019, 4:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If you want Christmasoompa to trawl through property websites and find you five properties that match your criteria, I think you need to start paying her!
Been there, done that. Used to be a relocation agent.

If you were going to recommend 5 properties that are curb appeal to the tenth power and with the charm and character you showed in that previous property you posted, what would you pick in decent travel distance to London? And has village charm and historical relevance? And is not too far from malls and grocer shopping? Might be asking too much
Define 'decent travel distance to London', what kind of timescale are you thinking? Personally I'd forget Essex and that side of London, just not my bag. I'd go Berkshire, Bucks (may be a stretch for that on that budget unless north Bucks - but somewhere like Amersham on the end of the tube line could be ideal, just pricey), Oxfordshire, Surrey etc. Surrey or Berkshire are the obvious choices in terms of commuting distance, Oxfordshire will be further. Possibly even Hampshire - one of the houses we're looking at is just in to Hampshire, but will still mean we can get to the station near us to get the train to London in 25 mins.

But again, I have to say that your requirements seem to be a bit of a contrast. Originally you wanted London for city life, now you're talking about acreage in a charming village? Two vastly different things, I really think you need to work out exactly what you and the family want. My house sounds ideal going on your brief. Seriously though, if you paid that amount for a lovely period property with a few acres, are your family going to want to stab you to death with a blunt implement within 6 months? Country life doesn't suit everyone and from what you've said previously, I very much doubt it would suit them. Remind me, do you need schooling or are the kids too old for that?

Edit: just to say if you do decide a country pile is for you, it's definitely worth putting in the leg work with the agents. Often they'll have properties being discreetly marketed that won't be on Rightmove - the one we want isn't actually on the open market at all. That is probably more true of more acreage/equestrian properties, such as we're after, but can also be true of smaller country houses so definitely worth making friends with the agents in case they have something off the books or even just hear of something new coming to market soon that they can get you in first on.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 19th 2019 at 4:43 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 4:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Personally I'd forget Essex and that side of London, just not my bag. I'd go Berkshire, Bucks (may be a stretch for that on that budget unless north Bucks - but somewhere like Amersham on the end of the tube line could be ideal, just pricey), Oxfordshire, Surrey etc. Surrey or Berkshire are the obvious choices in terms of commuting distance, Oxfordshire will be further. Possibly even Hampshire - one of the houses we're looking at is just in to Hampshire, but will still mean we can get to the station near us to get the train to London in 25 mins. .....
I mostly agree with excluding most of Essex, but Suffolk is a different matter, or some parts of Norfolk, though some of it is flat and uninteresting.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 5:23 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I'd forget Essex and that side of London, just not my bag. I'd go Berkshire, Bucks (may be a stretch for that on that budget unless north Bucks - but somewhere like Amersham on the end of the tube line could be ideal, just pricey), Oxfordshire, Surrey etc. Surrey or Berkshire are the obvious choices in terms of commuting distance, Oxfordshire will be further. Possibly even Hampshire - one of the houses we're looking at is just in to Hampshire, but will still mean we can get to the station near us to get the train to London in 25 mins.
Agree with spouse of scouse, I reckon that kind of advice deserves some kind of pecuniary reward Excellent post.

@UkWinds5353 You asked a few posts back about Bicester, it's a fine, rural, somewhat sleepy (at least it used to be) country town just far enough off the grid (and thus 'decent' rail connections) to see a drop in house prices. Looking northwest of London, step outside of the dreaded M25 and you're in the Chiltern Hills, a lovely area, with reasonable train services in to London Marylebone from High Wycombe and Aylesbury and Metropolitan (TFL) from Amersham/Chesham into Baker Street, this one goes further in to London directly at peak hours.

The Chilterns stop fairly abruptly a few miles before Aylesbury Vale and so you find yourself in "the flatlands". Each to their own, but I find the flatlands a bit of a letdown after the Chilterns, and this is well reflected in property prices in that region.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 1:25 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Been there, done that. Used to be a relocation agent.

Define 'decent travel distance to London', what kind of timescale are you thinking? Personally I'd forget Essex and that side of London, just not my bag. I'd go Berkshire, Bucks (may be a stretch for that on that budget unless north Bucks - but somewhere like Amersham on the end of the tube line could be ideal, just pricey), Oxfordshire, Surrey etc. Surrey or Berkshire are the obvious choices in terms of commuting distance, Oxfordshire will be further. Possibly even Hampshire - one of the houses we're looking at is just in to Hampshire, but will still mean we can get to the station near us to get the train to London in 25 mins.

But again, I have to say that your requirements seem to be a bit of a contrast. Originally you wanted London for city life, now you're talking about acreage in a charming village? Two vastly different things, I really think you need to work out exactly what you and the family want. My house sounds ideal going on your brief. Seriously though, if you paid that amount for a lovely period property with a few acres, are your family going to want to stab you to death with a blunt implement within 6 months? Country life doesn't suit everyone and from what you've said previously, I very much doubt it would suit them. Remind me, do you need schooling or are the kids too old for that?

Edit: just to say if you do decide a country pile is for you, it's definitely worth putting in the leg work with the agents. Often they'll have properties being discreetly marketed that won't be on Rightmove - the one we want isn't actually on the open market at all. That is probably more true of more acreage/equestrian properties, such as we're after, but can also be true of smaller country houses so definitely worth making friends with the agents in case they have something off the books or even just hear of something new coming to market soon that they can get you in first on.
You know, I was going to ask had you ever considered a career in real estate because you seem to have a natural instinct and eye for that industry. While other people need time and trial to spot a good fit.

Our main goal in terms of travel distance to London is being able to spend time with our adults kids while still enjoying our own personal lifestyle. Definitely under an hour in total time to London. I've been all over the map describing the type of location & home we're looking for because the original goal of just the wife and I moving to the UK had changed. And that meant my thinking on how to reset the goal and accomplish it had to be altered as well and I've wavered a bit. That's my bad. In many ways this has been a process of discovery in figuring out what plan makes the most sense and how best to include all the family in a blueprint that will set everyone up for a comfortable settlement. Now that we've decided on two individual households, one for my wife & I, and one for our adult kids with their own place, we can put the focus back on what we want in a new home. And we don't mind a property with areas as long as it's manageable. No more than about 7 areas because our only under age child will be here in the States attending college. With our adult kids settled in their own place in the UK there really is no reason for too much outdoor space.

Most of our homes have been located in a suburb outside a major city with travel time in the 25-40 minute range. That has usually worked best for our lifestyle and moving forward that is still the goal. Have a calm home environment but know we can get to fun activities when desired. Thanks for the tip about Essex. Several of the areas you mentioned, (Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks, & Surrey) are on our radar and we've looked online at quite a few nice properties, so your mention is very reassuring. Do any of those areas stand out for cultural points of interest in your opinion? Are any of those areas more known for sporting activities? We've not looked at Hampshire but will include it in our next search. 25 minutes to London makes that area a interesting possibility. Pricey is never something I love to hear but sometimes a solution requires greater investment as long as the purchase makes sense. You have given me a lot of great information to help narrow down our home hunt locations and I really do appreciate your kindness and knowledge.

Old Jun 20th 2019, 1:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
SS

I have to agree with you. Christmas knows the business and the UK market really well.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 1:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Agree with spouse of scouse, I reckon that kind of advice deserves some kind of pecuniary reward Excellent post.

@UkWinds5353 You asked a few posts back about Bicester, it's a fine, rural, somewhat sleepy (at least it used to be) country town just far enough off the grid (and thus 'decent' rail connections) to see a drop in house prices. Looking northwest of London, step outside of the dreaded M25 and you're in the Chiltern Hills, a lovely area, with reasonable train services in to London Marylebone from High Wycombe and Aylesbury and Metropolitan (TFL) from Amersham/Chesham into Baker Street, this one goes further in to London directly at peak hours.

The Chilterns stop fairly abruptly a few miles before Aylesbury Vale and so you find yourself in "the flatlands". Each to their own, but I find the flatlands a bit of a letdown after the Chilterns, and this is well reflected in property prices in that region.
Thank you

I truly appreciate your input. It will help the Mrs and I to make the most of our house hunting time in August on vacation there. Inside information can't be priced because it's invaluable. You and many of the forum members are saving me time which I can't thank you enough for. And you guys are making me look far more informed to my wife than I deserve to appear. I think that might be the best part Those areas you mention are noted and will be included in our search once in the UK. We will be there for one month and that is a lot of time to property hunt while having a fun vacation experience.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 5:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Several of the areas you mentioned, (Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks, & Surrey) are on our radar and we've looked online at quite a few nice properties, so your mention is very reassuring. Do any of those areas stand out for cultural points of interest in your opinion? Are any of those areas more known for sporting activities?
Can you define cultural points of interest - historical sites, or things like art galleries and museums? And again, sporting activities - any particular kind of sport and do you mean spectating or participating?

Pricey is never something I love to hear but sometimes a solution requires greater investment as long as the purchase makes sense.
It's a pricey area for a good reason though. Where I live we're within 30-45 mins of Oxford, Windsor, London, Bath. Surrounded by gorgeous countryside and pretty villages. Good shopping (not that I ever go, I hate shopping!). Amazing schools (I know not a consideration for you, but important for us with two secondary school age children). Within 10 mins of the M4 and M3 for easy access to various parts of the country including Cornwall where we go at least one weekend a month, and only 20 mins from Heathrow for holidays or weekends in Europe (or in my husband's case, business travel too). So yes, expensive, but access to amenities and transport links as well as excellent education are things that add quite a chunk on to housing costs unfortunately.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 2:34 pm
Banned

Can you define cultural points of interest - historical sites, or things like art galleries and museums? And again, sporting activities - any particular kind of sport and do you mean spectating or participating?

It's a pricey area for a good reason though. Where I live we're within 30-45 mins of Oxford, Windsor, London, Bath. Surrounded by gorgeous countryside and pretty villages. Good shopping (not that I ever go, I hate shopping!). Amazing schools (I know not a consideration for you, but important for us with two secondary school age children). Within 10 mins of the M4 and M3 for easy access to various parts of the country including Cornwall where we go at least one weekend a month, and only 20 mins from Heathrow for holidays or weekends in Europe (or in my husband's case, business travel too). So yes, expensive, but access to amenities and transport links as well as excellent education are things that add quite a chunk on to housing costs unfortunately.
Cultural points of interest such as Castles and places that are worth a weekend outing visit. Not museums or galleries because you can have that experience in London.

Sporting activities that allow personal involvement such as soccer fields and places to enjoy watching and participating. We can drive to the major stadiums for sports in the bigger cities and for that reason we don't have to live right near them. Just want to step out and find a little tennis competition in the neighborhood at public courts. And still have my own tennis court at home

I also think it would be great to have jogging paths somewhere nearby.

I really like the areas you mentioned and their ease of access to airports, London, shopping, added safety ect. We are willing to pay a bit more for convenience and shorter travel time. That will allow my wife a certain amount of comfort and freedom because she is a shopping girl which makes things easier on me. My wife and I were talking about the savings this move is going to add to our monthly budget just in property taxes alone. We want a special property in a amazing location and hopefully our timing and the available inventory will work in our favor. but we are very open to various areas as long as the location of area and the property are chuck full of amenities and fun options.

Old Jun 21st 2019, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you are describing the outer environs of Reading to me. Reading is on the high speed route to Paddington and also a slower commuter line to Waterloo, so anything on that line will get best of both worlds. Reading itself is meh, but you can be in Windsor in 20 minutes, or Eton, or 10 minutes more to central London, or 30 mins the other way to Bath etc.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Also, the M4/A4 road in, when clear of accidents or roadworks tends to be an easy drive to central London.
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 7:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Cultural points of interest such as Castles and places that are worth a weekend outing visit. Not museums or galleries because you can have that experience in London.

Sporting activities that allow personal involvement such as soccer fields and places to enjoy watching and participating. We can drive to the major stadiums for sports in the bigger cities and for that reason we don't have to live right near them. Just want to step out and find a little tennis competition in the neighborhood at public courts. And still have my own tennis court at home

I also think it would be great to have jogging paths somewhere nearby.
Mmmm. That's pretty much all of the UK tbh! The UK is covered in public foothpaths/rights of way, it's not like the US at all. Historical sites are ten a penny. Just the little village church I got married in is over 1000 years old, and that's pretty normal here. Soccer fields (get used to calling it football!) and tennis courts are commonplace. Within 3 miles of our house there are 4 tennis clubs and even more football clubs/pitches. You may not get your tennis court at home, but with your budget you'd certainly have space for one. I'd query your need for 7 acres tbh, sounds like an acre or two would do it without the additional work more would bring. 7 acres is likely to be beyond your budget around here (the Reading area mentioned above is where I live) and the aforementioned counties unless there's a reason for it i.e. the house needs lots of work, but unless you want horses or other animals, it's just a lot of hassle tbh.

Originally Posted by robtuck
Sounds like you are describing the outer environs of Reading to me. Reading is on the high speed route to Paddington and also a slower commuter line to Waterloo, so anything on that line will get best of both worlds. Reading itself is meh, but you can be in Windsor in 20 minutes, or Eton, or 10 minutes more to central London, or 30 mins the other way to Bath etc.
Reading itself is worse than meh IMO. But I agree with the rest.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 7:56 am
Banned

Originally Posted by robtuck
Thank you robtuck.

I've viewed a few properties in the Reading area about a week ago and was quite pleased. Will for sure include that area in our search in August. Much appreciate your kindness.

Old Jun 23rd 2019, 8:26 am
Banned

Christmas

The august trip is going to tell us a lot about my perceptions of this move and the actual reality on the ground and what my wife wants and needs most in a home.

Sorry I haven't responded quickly. Have been out of town in upstate New York spending time with my older brother who is passing away with Kidney cancer. It's a very aggressive form of cancer and a awful disease. Wouldn't wish it on the worse of person. The dying process is quite profound. Can't help but feel guilty and heart broken. But there is joy in thoughts of the after life, and life here on earth must go on.

Good to hear there are tennis courts in abundance in many areas. Hopefully some of those options include grass courts. I cut my teeth developing a half way decent tennis game fighting off my brother's lethal athletic skills on hard courts so I look forward to moving about on the quick surface of grass. My own court is still in the plan just have to see if the housing options with a court are available in our budget, or if like you mention it's best to simply put one in. To a athlete there is nothing more reassuring than to have home court advantage. And a grass court should make even athletic angels smile!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.