Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Jun 17th 2019, 8:19 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Why are so many amazing houses on the market? I'm wondering if something afoot is going on. This home is a blend between old and new and it's stone built with a crazy fireplace. This is my wife's type of home. We're going to save so much money in the UK.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...81177347.html#
Old Jun 17th 2019, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You should go to Cork, even more affordable and only 1hr 20mins from London :-) https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-...-cork-1890162/
It's not 1 hour 20 minutes, door to door though is it? You need to get from your house to the airport - in enough time to get through security. Then get from the airport (Heathrow? Gatwick?) to where you want to be - even London City is 40 - 45 minutes from, eg, the British Museum. What time is the last flight home if you want to go the theatre?
Old Jun 17th 2019, 8:55 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

This home has a lot of charm. There are so many quality properties on the market in the UK, and it's almost like a strange off putting sensation. I wonder if Brexit is influencing the market in a very impactful way? It feels like it might be.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...79624301.html#
Old Jun 17th 2019, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
This home has a lot of charm. There are so many quality properties on the market in the UK, and it's almost like a strange off putting sensation. I wonder if Brexit is influencing the market in a very impactful way? It feels like it might be.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...79624301.html#
I wouldn't necessarily read too much into it - the UK has a very different housing stock to the US, so naturally you are seeing things that are quite different to how they are where you live. Brexit may/may not be affecting the housing market, but there are always lots and lots of lovely houses being bought and sold up and down the country.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
It's not 1 hour 20 minutes, door to door though is it? You need to get from your house to the airport - in enough time to get through security. Then get from the airport (Heathrow? Gatwick?) to where you want to be - even London City is 40 - 45 minutes from, eg, the British Museum. What time is the last flight home if you want to go the theatre?
Just saying, as you can probably bring thousands of examples where property is cheaper and how many times do you go to the theatre or musuem if you live in the city directly? I think the OP doesn't realise how small Europe really is and nowhere is really far. The money you saved on property tax alone would also pay you a stay in 5 star hotel, so no need to take last flight home + loads of other great venues away from London.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 9:25 am
Banned

Very cool house.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...75837686.html#
Old Jun 17th 2019, 9:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

This home has a lot of charm. There are so many quality properties on the market in the UK, and it's almost like a strange off putting sensation. I wonder if Brexit is influencing the market in a very impactful way?
It is, but there are a lot less properties on the market than normal. The properties you're looking at are normal houses here, so you will find a lot of them, but that's what properties in the UK in your budget are like!

Only thing I would say is that all of the ones you've posted today are in rural areas, certainly not the city life you seem to be after. If you do move outside of a city then yes, you will get a heck of a lot more for your money. Bet you've looked at my house today as well, it's in the same area and similar price/style to a lot of the ones above.

I think you really need to rent to work out where you want to be and what style of house you want. Some you've posted are more modern and frankly, I think are hideous but you seem to find attractive, and others are very much period properties and historic but you also like them. Very different styles of houses, and also in London but also very rural villages, you seem to be all over the place so I would really recommend you rent to narrow down and work out what you want.

Oh and just to say I disagree with the 'don't ever drive in to London' thing, we do it regularly and as long as it's not rush hour it's no problem. We often drive in on a Sunday to have a day out at museums etc, takes us 40 mins to central London and free parking too. We do have electric/hybrid vehicles though so no congestion charge to pay which helps.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 17th 2019 at 9:49 am.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 9:58 am
Banned

Ok, totally different area but still a possibility. This one is in Brighton and it's a beautiful home with clean lines but not much character.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...69155689.html#
Old Jun 17th 2019, 10:23 am
Banned

Yes, I've seen that before, usually on new builds. You'll pay for it one way or another though - if the stamp duty is, for example £40,000, then the price is going to be effectively £40,000 more than it should be.

In general, it would probably be an excellent idea for you to rent for a while when you do move over as that will really give you a chance to explore areas and find ones which suit you - you have linked to some lovely houses in some lovely areas, but a lot of it is down to personal preference - no one here can really tell you which area/town you will like best.

Will your sons need to get jobs in the UK or are they self employed? If they will need jobs, will that dictate where they live?

As for driving in the UK - can be very different from driving in the US - have you ever driven over here before? Different does not necessarily mean worse, but may not be to your taste - my husband very much enjoys driving and found driving in the US extremely boring - again, personal taste
Hi
At this point we are feeling our way around and putting together a plan based on what makes the most sense for the whole family. The conversation about renting a place is really for our adult kids. Allowing them to have their own place in the UK so we can keep the family in the same country and at the very least in the same continent.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 10:29 am
Banned

You should go to Cork, even more affordable and only 1hr 20mins from London :-) https://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-...-cork-1890162/
That's a beautiful home. My wife is a Brit and is excited about moving home to the UK and once there we would love to holiday in Ireland. Does it rain there more than the UK?
Old Jun 17th 2019, 10:36 am
Banned

I wouldn't necessarily read too much into it - the UK has a very different housing stock to the US, so naturally you are seeing things that are quite different to how they are where you live. Brexit may/may not be affecting the housing market, but there are always lots and lots of lovely houses being bought and sold up and down the country.
That is interesting because it feels like a glut of properties on the market which is a good thing. That definitely makes it a buyers market with some up coming haggling to happen. I like a good deal.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 10:41 am
Banned

Just saying, as you can probably bring thousands of examples where property is cheaper and how many times do you go to the theatre or musuem if you live in the city directly? I think the OP doesn't realise how small Europe really is and nowhere is really far. The money you saved on property tax alone would also pay you a stay in 5 star hotel, so no need to take last flight home + loads of other great venues away from London.
Oh, that's just too good LOL

The idea of saving money actually gives me a biological chemical sensation.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a beautiful home. My wife is a Brit and is excited about moving home to the UK and once there we would love to holiday in Ireland. Does it rain there more than the UK?
Like the UK there are many variations and just depends where you are really, so not more or less. There are so many micro climates and it can change from location to location. A city like Dublin would see same amounts of rain as Birmingham but then the East Coast near Wicklow would be considered sunnier etc.
East coast has a lot to offer too if you have the money:-) With its historic style and contemporary comforts, rural lakeside location and easy access to town, Pineridge Farm combines the best of all worlds, for an ideal work life balance and a perfect family home. The house also exists within a strong and welcoming community, and is within easy reach of schools and shops, with Dublin City Centre and Airport approximately 45 minutes by car.
https://www.daft.ie/wicklow/houses-f...cklow-2134035/
https://www.daft.ie/wicklow/houses-f...cklow-2123934/
Old Jun 17th 2019, 10:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

That is interesting because it feels like a glut of properties on the market which is a good thing.
There isn't here (south east England), there's a big shortage of property on the market. Most people seem to be holding fire until after Brexit, so there's little out there for buyers.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 11:15 am
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It is, but there are a lot less properties on the market than normal. The properties you're looking at are normal houses here, so you will find a lot of them, but that's what properties in the UK in your budget are like!

Only thing I would say is that all of the ones you've posted today are in rural areas, certainly not the city life you seem to be after. If you do move outside of a city then yes, you will get a heck of a lot more for your money. Bet you've looked at my house today as well, it's in the same area and similar price/style to a lot of the ones above.

I think you really need to rent to work out where you want to be and what style of house you want. Some you've posted are more modern and frankly, I think are hideous but you seem to find attractive, and others are very much period properties and historic but you also like them. Very different styles of houses, and also in London but also very rural villages, you seem to be all over the place so I would really recommend you rent to narrow down and work out what you want.

Oh and just to say I disagree with the 'don't ever drive in to London' thing, we do it regularly and as long as it's not rush hour it's no problem. We often drive in on a Sunday to have a day out at museums etc, takes us 40 mins to central London and free parking too. We do have electric/hybrid vehicles though so no congestion charge to pay which helps.
I'm probably somewhere in the middle between liking a home with charm and character and one that includes a modern appeal with multiple amenities. But I'm only 50% of this decision because the Mrs has very strong opinions about the type of property she likes. We usually do a pretty good job of combining our joint goals.

I viewed so many properties last night and would not be surprised if I saw yours. Quite a few had facilities for horses. The idea location in my mind for us would be 30 minutes from London as long as the kids are settled into their own place in the UK. And that is the reason why we are entertaining the option of maybe renting a place for them alone. Not sure why I hadn't thought about that idea before because it would be brilliant for everyone. My wife is going to speak to the kids this week and see how they feel. This is not dad kicking them out instead it's mom and dad building a nest for the kids not far from ours. My wife last night was a little concerned about that.

Once I start driving to different regions in the UK then I'll have a better sense of how long it takes in traffic to get from point A to XYZ. Really didn't spend much time in Manchester before we moved back to the States years ago. But what you're saying is reassuring. We will see.

Do you feel like you could drive anywhere in London in a timely manner or is traffic totally crazy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.