Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Jun 12th 2019, 11:33 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Damn parenthood eh?!

Oxford is a lovely city, and much more chilled than London so could suit you well, but also very youthful with a good student vibe thanks to the universities there, so could suit the kids too. Are you specifically looking for somewhere south?
We're not even sure yet about which region in the UK. Once we agreed that my wife's hometown of Manchester didn't have to be our home base that pretty much opened up a lot of options. We will see, but in terms of the area the warmer the better imo.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 11:40 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...67240855.html#

This place is actually not bad at all and even has gated parking which checks one important amenity on my list. We will need a property that saves money and has expansion possibilities.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 11:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353

This place is actually not bad at all and even has gated parking which checks one important amenity on my list. We will need a property that saves money and has expansion possibilities.
Can't see any expansion possibilities with that one, it's already been extended and has a tiny garden because of that. Pretty much any parking can be gated, if it's got a driveway, you simply add the gates yourself for a couple of hundred quid. So I wouldn't restrict yourself to only properties with existing gated parking areas.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

What is it that is drawing you to that area of London? I think a lot of time, people choose where to live in London based on commute times to place of work, but if you are retired/working from home I guess that is not a consideration.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with that property is that you probably won't see much of the sun in the garden, as it's blocked by the trees? So even if London might be on paper warmer, the person near Manchester with a garden that gets all day sun, will probably get to use the garden more and feel warmer. It can make a huge difference if it's done in a clever way and you have the right property.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 1:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The problem with that property is that you probably won't see much of the sun in the garden, as it's blocked by the trees? .....
The house faces SW, so the trees in the back garden are at the NE end of the property.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The house faces SW, so the trees in the back garden are at the NE end of the property.
Ok, so even worse then. While it's not the trees just the general position and size of properties vs garden size. There's actually some good interactive maps people can try to simulate shade and sun in your garden.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Too far South. No one with any sense lives to the South of Yorkshire.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 10:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Can't see any expansion possibilities with that one, it's already been extended and has a tiny garden because of that. Pretty much any parking can be gated, if it's got a driveway, you simply add the gates yourself for a couple of hundred quid. So I wouldn't restrict yourself to only properties with existing gated parking areas.
I agree with you. We will interview and hire a very good estate agent in August while in the UK, and they will know exactly what the Mrs and I are seeking in a property. The biggest thing when house hunting is communication, in order for the real estate firm to understand your goals in buying a new home.
My first rule when beginning the process is to pick a place that is easier to be resold. Awesome curb appeal with as many amenities possible in a sought after school district. I look at the property as an investment then as time goes by I see it as a home. Sometimes a home becomes just a house that we might feel a need to leave later on because life choices can change. My wonderful wife feels a little differently. She bonds more with the property. My lady of the Manor.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 2:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you. We will interview and hire a very good estate agent in August while in the UK, and they will know exactly what the Mrs and I are seeking in a property. The biggest thing when house hunting is communication, in order for the real estate firm to understand your goals in buying a new home. .....
Unless there has been a fundamental change in the way the real estate market operates in the UK since I left, you contact an estate agent about the properties that they have listed, not generally to trawl all listings on your behalf as a buyer's agent.

So once you identify an area where you are looking to buy, you will contact several agents, all of which are sellers agents, who will show you properties that they are contracted to sell, and they are acting on behalf of the sellers, not on your behalf.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 2:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Unless there has been a fundamental change in the way the real estate market operates in the UK since I left, you contact an estate agent about the properties that they have listed, not generally to trawl all listings on your behalf as a buyer's agent.

So once you identify an area where you are looking to buy, you will contact several agents, all of which are sellers agents, who will show you properties that they are contracted to sell, and they are acting on behalf of the sellers, not on your behalf.
Quite right. Estate Agents in the UK are an entirely different animal to Realtors in the US. You have to be prepared to do the leg work yourself. A UK Estate Agent isn’t going to spend the day with you, ferrying you around from property, to property.
Old Jun 13th 2019, 5:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you. We will interview and hire a very good estate agent in August while in the UK, and they will know exactly what the Mrs and I are seeking in a property. The biggest thing when house hunting is communication, in order for the real estate firm to understand your goals in buying a new home
It’s a relocation agent you need for that, not an estate agent. Very different things in the UK!

A relocation agent will research property for you, take you to see them, negotiate on your behalf. In return for a percentage of the property price.

HTH.

Old Jun 14th 2019, 2:15 am
Banned

Originally Posted by rebs
What is it that is drawing you to that area of London? I think a lot of time, people choose where to live in London based on commute times to place of work, but if you are retired/working from home I guess that is not a consideration.
My wife!
My wife's desire to execute her plan of getting all our kids out of America and living near us in Europe. Our middle kid loves London as much as living in the States thus the London plan. She knows by getting the oldest one onboard that makes it easier to talk the middle kid into moving which eventually will convince our youngest child back with the family after he finishes University. The middle kid and our youngest are best friends and my darling wife is fully aware. My wife the Chess player.
I've told my wife that her plan could go awry especially if our youngest son meets a young lady and falls in love. There's love everywhere in California.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 2:28 am
Banned

Thank you for that eye opening information. This is going to make the process a lot more time consuming and complicated. We were thinking the purchasing process would be similar to here in the States. Hire a agent and give them their marching orders and given some time they present findings that work best for the buyers goals. Thank God we're starting early.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 2:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Quite right. Estate Agents in the UK are an entirely different animal to Realtors in the US. You have to be prepared to do the leg work yourself. A UK Estate Agent isn’t going to spend the day with you, ferrying you around from property, to property.
That is amazing. Their fee must be a lot less than the 6% charged by real estate agents in the States.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.