Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Mar 15th 2019, 4:51 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by Sammy2018

We had 2 beautiful days of sun when we arrived however rain and high winds have dominated since. I am enjoying the cold however hubby is taking it slowly.
I am sure we will be a good place in another month.
Have your friends decided on the location yet?

March 20th will officially be spring. Warm weather is just around the corner and in the meantime enjoy the perks associated with crisp weather such as coco, tea and maybe a roaring good fireplace. I'm sure your husband will make the turn in no time at all. Is he excited about the difference in culture?

My friends are struggling a bit with coming to terms with the possible change in housing. It would seem my old buddy has become more Americanized than he thought possible or ever wanted to be. lol. The homes that suit their family best cost more than they(He) want to spend but are fortunately available in abundance in their target area. I've told posh guy to open up the bank account and bite the bullet and do what is necessary to achieve a well adjusted return home. I totally get that he is concerned about an additional 100k pound expenditure and how that goes against his conservative nature but it's not going to leave them broke and a house is so much more than just a financial investment.
His wife wants this to happen which is a very big deal considering her original reluctance in leaving family, friends and everything she knows. When the wife is 100% on board with a major change in direction for the family it just makes life so much easier. I do believe they will figure it out. Sometime throwing money at the problem is the way to go. I believe the extra cost is closer to 125K. But over time they can build that money back up.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Mar 15th 2019 at 4:53 am.
Old Mar 18th 2019, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
March 20th will officially be spring. Warm weather is just around the corner and in the meantime enjoy the perks associated with crisp weather such as coco, tea and maybe a roaring good fireplace. I'm sure your husband will make the turn in no time at all. Is he excited about the difference in culture?

My friends are struggling a bit with coming to terms with the possible change in housing. It would seem my old buddy has become more Americanized than he thought possible or ever wanted to be. lol. The homes that suit their family best cost more than they(He) want to spend but are fortunately available in abundance in their target area. I've told posh guy to open up the bank account and bite the bullet and do what is necessary to achieve a well adjusted return home. I totally get that he is concerned about an additional 100k pound expenditure and how that goes against his conservative nature but it's not going to leave them broke and a house is so much more than just a financial investment.
His wife wants this to happen which is a very big deal considering her original reluctance in leaving family, friends and everything she knows. When the wife is 100% on board with a major change in direction for the family it just makes life so much easier. I do believe they will figure it out. Sometime throwing money at the problem is the way to go. I believe the extra cost is closer to 125K. But over time they can build that money back up.
Hubby is taking it all in his stride.
From a pricing perspective we have found you just need to change the $ to the £ especially when looking at big ticket items such as homes and cars.
I am sure if your buddies wife wants a specific home it will happen , however I must admit I would gripe if I had to pay more than planned.
I agree homes truly are more than a financial investment and the memories people make in them are priceless.

I just received my UK license ( I sent my old pink license in about a week ago ) so we plan to visit car dealerships next weekend. Hubby has been reading up on how car insurance groupings work so we are prepared. We have also been apprised of all the cameras that are in place along many of the roads ...

I must admit it’s been a crazy few weeks since our arrival, we have only just had our SIM cards switched on our phones which was something I thought we would be able to accomplish straight away.
We used transferwise to move some money last week, it was pretty easy to set up the account, however we had to send some extra documents to show where the funds came from.
We had opened a HSBC account in the USA hoping this would facilitate ease opening a UK account however that was not the case.
We have now opened an account with Nationwide ( suggestion noted by BritInParis on another post )

From a weather perspective it’s going to be drier this week and we may get up to 15 by Thursday.

I am loving grocery shopping, OXO cubes are in abundance, and of course the smoked fish ... there are also lots of food items / things I miss about the USA.

We have friends who are coming to visit in October so we are beginning to look at some places to visit while they are here.

Old Mar 20th 2019, 10:13 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby is taking it all in his stride.
From a pricing perspective we have found you just need to change the $ to the £ especially when looking at big ticket items such as homes and cars.
I am sure if your buddies wife wants a specific home it will happen , however I must admit I would gripe if I had to pay more than planned.
I agree homes truly are more than a financial investment and the memories people make in them are priceless.

I just received my UK license ( I sent my old pink license in about a week ago ) so we plan to visit car dealerships next weekend. Hubby has been reading up on how car insurance groupings work so we are prepared. We have also been apprised of all the cameras that are in place along many of the roads ...

I must admit it’s been a crazy few weeks since our arrival, we have only just had our SIM cards switched on our phones which was something I thought we would be able to accomplish straight away.
We used transferwise to move some money last week, it was pretty easy to set up the account, however we had to send some extra documents to show where the funds came from.
We had opened a HSBC account in the USA hoping this would facilitate ease opening a UK account however that was not the case.
We have now opened an account with Nationwide ( suggestion noted by BritInParis on another post )

From a weather perspective it’s going to be drier this week and we may get up to 15 by Thursday.

I am loving grocery shopping, OXO cubes are in abundance, and of course the smoked fish ... there are also lots of food items / things I miss about the USA.

We have friends who are coming to visit in October so we are beginning to look at some places to visit while they are here.

You know how to move back home with a splash, good for you. So glad things are rounding out for you both. Have you seen any of the old friends you use to know? I'm sure it's very enjoyable shopping for items that you haven't seen in some time. You'll probably have to grocery shop more often in the UK since food there have far fewer preservatives. Milk, eggs and dairy last for weeks in the States. Don't be surprised if you both lose a bit of weight due to less preservatives in the food. You guys have so much to look forward to in the coming months. Try to savor every moment.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 9:29 pm
Banned

My friends informed me today that they have found a house in the Manchester area. Just came on the market and the sellers seem eager to sell. He is leaving to the UK Friday. My fingers are crossed for them. This is the first house they both have truly liked and it's not too far off from their price point.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
My friends informed me today that they have found a house in the Manchester area. Just came on the market and the sellers seem eager to sell. He is leaving to the UK Friday. My fingers are crossed for them. This is the first house they both have truly liked and it's not too far off from their price point.
Wonderful news I hope his trip was fruitful.
The weather here has been wonderful however the wind has a bite to it at times . I am now making home made bread, looking to plant herbs and my mother taught me how to scarify the lawn today .. I have found that groceries are cheaper , Pierre Bistrot is a wonderful place for a morning coffee, and that you lose weight due to the long walks from the parking lots ( that are free ) .
Your friends are going to love being in the UK but like us they will miss many things about the US ( Home Depot being one )
Old Apr 14th 2019, 6:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

B & Q is owned by Home Depot.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 6:49 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Homebase used to be pretty good for DIY as well.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
now I am scared 😱 service there has been bad and it’s only a quarter of the size of Home Depot.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Homebase used to be pretty good for DIY as well.
Homebase closed where we live
Old Apr 15th 2019, 3:12 am
Banned

Wonderful news I hope his trip was fruitful.
The weather here has been wonderful however the wind has a bite to it at times . I am now making home made bread, looking to plant herbs and my mother taught me how to scarify the lawn today .. I have found that groceries are cheaper , Pierre Bistrot is a wonderful place for a morning coffee, and that you lose weight due to the long walks from the parking lots ( that are free ) .
Your friends are going to love being in the UK but like us they will miss many things about the US ( Home Depot being one )
It has gone surprisingly well for our friends. My buddy took a few videos of the property inside and out and sent them to his Mrs yesterday. He even video recorded areas in the neighborhood. Looks good looks really good! They were so patient and I'm happy for them. Finding the right property and staying in a certain budget don't always go together. Now they have to finalize the deal and complete the process. Fortunately they are not financing, it will be a all cash deal. That will simplify everything. That is how my wife and I will be doing our UK purchase in less than two years.

His wife wanted to go with him to check out the property but someone had to watch the kids. We offered to child and dog sit. But it helps that they both have already been in that neighborhood looking at other properties.
My wife and I have the benefit of seeing how the Brexit situation is going to impact the UK property market. Could work for or against us in less than two years.

It's good you are slotting in so well in Liverpool. And how great it is that the weather is starting to turn for the better just about everywhere. And it's a good thing because with all that walking very soon it will be time to whip out those bathing suits again. I'm sure living near the water is amazing. My wife and I had been dead set on moving to Manchester because her family lives there but just recently we are both onboard with living within a two hour drive of her folks. That way she can spend a lot of time with the family while we can keep our options open. That means we are nomads still looking for a UK home. But it's a good thing.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Out walking the dog today near Birkdale golf course today some really beautiful homes.

The round house is interesting

The only thing infront of this home is the dog walk and the dunes of Birkdale golf course

That house was built by a Dutch couple Sammy and was featured on TV ... We used to live along the road in Ainsdale ( dunes) ( a lot of which was built by my great Uncle many years ago Many a time we have visited royal Birkdale for the golf. seeing Justin Rpse makes his debut there as a very young man. . I always wanted to live in Southport as my Aunt lived there ( played in the Floral Hall orchestra) It broke my heart to leave for my OH's career..... A lovely town ... sadly a tad neglected now since it moved into Sefton.
Old Apr 19th 2019, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GeniB
That house was built by a Dutch couple Sammy and was featured on TV ... We used to live along the road in Ainsdale ( dunes) ( a lot of which was built by my great Uncle many years ago Many a time we have visited royal Birkdale for the golf. seeing Justin Rpse makes his debut there as a very young man. . I always wanted to live in Southport as my Aunt lived there ( played in the Floral Hall orchestra) It broke my heart to leave for my OH's career..... A lovely town ... sadly a tad neglected now since it moved into Sefton.
Southport has changed but I still love the areas around it. I took some photos from our window one early morning.
Hopefully the pictures attached
Old Apr 20th 2019, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Southport has changed but I still love the areas around it. I took some photos from our window one early morning.
Hopefully the pictures attached
umm No
Old Apr 21st 2019, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GeniB
umm No

Here we go
Old Apr 25th 2019, 12:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lovely Sammy was that sunset or sunrise ? Where are you? I used to love the misty mornings .I lived in the dunes in Ainsdale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.