Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Feb 3rd 2019, 3:13 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Some of the decisions my friends are considering in picking the right area/city, and the right house involves long term investment (time/money/location) that makes sense for their family and might be similar to those goals of other expats returning home. The practical choices are pretty obvious, a place with enough room to utilize, as the kids get older and wanting more privacy and that includes indoor and outdoor space. Neighborhoods that have other young families with young kids is also a major plus. And the goal of looking for a forever home, as oppose to something for less than 10 years. There are several practical decisions in picking an area.

Do you select the convenience of living inside a city to be near multiple options such as services and near entertainment at the expense of space and affordability, or is it more enjoyable to have a proper home in the country or at the very least the outskirts in the suburbs near a city. Close enough to enjoy the proximity of a city yet in a area that has more land, quiet and peacefulness. Can be a very tough decision. Neighborhoods that are children friendly with great schools are at a premium cause most people want the very best for their children. And this is especially true, if like my friends, your kids are pre-school age and you want your kids to enjoy a stable childhood and in a neighborhood with a sense of community. I imagine many people returning home have similar expectations in picking a new place to live.

I must say based on everything my friends are telling me there are so many great neighborhoods to choose from that it can be a little confusing. There definitely feel like there is a huge amount of properties to select from. And if you are short on time to make a decision that can make the selection process more challenging. Fortunately for my friends they made a point of going over and spending over a month on the ground to insure they know as much as possible before going all in. Today they made it over to Liverpool and I look forward to their experience in that area. They have made so much progress in this trip and even more so when considering they have young children in tow. That is never easy.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 9:17 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been chatting with my friends for the last few days during their stay in the Liverpool area, and based on what they have told me there is a lot to like about that region of the Midlands. My buddy says it definitely feels more casual and down to earth than other parts of the Midlands which they both think is a good quality. Living so near the ocean and being a ferry ride away from Ireland are two major upsides as well. The people felt very friendly and curious about them. My friends jumped on the road today for Scotland to spend time with his family.
Both of them are very glad to have made the trip over and are far better equipped and informed to decide on a place to call home. They pretty much like Birmingham and Manchester the most for Grammar schools for their kids which is a key priority in moving home. Having excellent music venues nearby is possible in any of the three cities so for them the deciding factors is which areas felt the most comfortable and that's the question they haven't answered. But the good part is they have narrowed their decision down to either Manchester or Birmingham.

They have hired an agent to find the right property in their desired school districts. I have my fingers crossed for them.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 10:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Liverpool's in the North West of England, not the Midlands
Old Feb 7th 2019, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I've been chatting with my friends for the last few days during their stay in the Liverpool area, and based on what they have told me there is a lot to like about that region of the Midlands. My buddy says it definitely feels more casual and down to earth than other parts of the Midlands which they both think is a good quality. Living so near the ocean and being a ferry ride away from Ireland are two major upsides as well. The people felt very friendly and curious about them. My friends jumped on the road today for Scotland to spend time with his family.
Both of them are very glad to have made the trip over and are far better equipped and informed to decide on a place to call home. They pretty much like Birmingham and Manchester the most for Grammar schools for their kids which is a key priority in moving home. Having excellent music venues nearby is possible in any of the three cities so for them the deciding factors is which areas felt the most comfortable and that's the question they haven't answered. But the good part is they have narrowed their decision down to either Manchester or Birmingham.

They have hired an agent to find the right property in their desired school districts. I have my fingers crossed for them.
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Liverpool's in the North West of England, not the Midlands
Yes indeed!!

Now you'll have to wash your mouth out with faggots and peas.

Old Feb 7th 2019, 4:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Yes indeed!!

Now you'll have to wash your mouth out with faggots and peas.
LOL

Sorry about that. See what happens when you are not from a particular place.
I thought from the east coast to the west coast that center region of the UK was all encompassing the Midlands. I'm going to get a lot of things wrong when my wife and I move to the UK in a few years, but I guess that is normal. That learning curve is part of understanding somewhere new.
Maybe only Manchester and Birmingham are the key cities in the Midlands? Or maybe Liverpool is just north of the Midlands?

My friend's wife is going to go through all of this trying to figure out many of the basics that people take for granted if you've lived in a country for much of one's life. Driving on the wrong side of the road and car can feel very nerve racking. My wife enjoys reminding me that we drive on the wrong side of the road here in America. My friend's wife has not driven once while in the UK but she drove without any issues in the Netherlands. It's a process adapting to a different way of thinking and doing.

There can be missteps/misunderstandings just having simple conversations about the usual topics and doing so while attempting not to say something that might be seen as a little controversial because of customs and local norms. Never boring navigating in a new country. But that really is a fun process. Some things will be easy and others will take a little longer to get a handle on.
A good example is the metric system that is used commonly in most other countries but in the States not as often and usually for precise measuring or maybe depending on one's career. The metric system has not been fully applied in all areas that require measurement in America because when the government originally wanted to do a full change back in the 1970s the older generation was up in arms about having the new system forced on them.

In any case guess I better brush up on my UK geography or develop a taste for faggots and peas.

P.S. I couldn't even use the word of that first dish here in the States, not without getting some unwanted attention.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Feb 7th 2019 at 5:07 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2019, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

LOL

Sorry about that. See what happens when you are not from a particular place.
I thought from the east coast to the west coast that center region of the UK was all encompassing the Midlands. I'm going to get a lot of things wrong when my wife and I move to the UK in a few years, but I guess that is normal. That learning curve is part of understanding somewhere new.
Maybe only Manchester and Birmingham are the key cities in the Midlands? Or maybe Liverpool is just north of the Midlands?

My friend's wife is going to go through all of this trying to figure out many of the basics that people take for granted if you've lived in a country for much of one's life. Driving on the wrong side of the road and car can feel very nerve racking. My wife enjoys reminding me that we drive on the wrong side of the road here in America. My friend's wife has not driven once while in the UK but she drove without any issues in the Netherlands. It's a process adapting to a different way of thinking and doing.

There can be missteps/misunderstandings just having simple conversations about the usual topics and doing so while attempting not to say something that might be seen as a little controversial because of customs and local norms. Never boring navigating in a new country. But that really is a fun process. Some things will be easy and others will take a little longer to get a handle on.
A good example is the metric system that is used commonly in most other countries but in the States not as often and usually for precise measuring or maybe depending on one's career. The metric system has not been fully applied in all areas that require measurement in America because when the government originally wanted to do a full change back in the 1970s the older generation was up in arms about having the new system forced on them.

In any case guess I better brush up on my UK geography or develop a taste for faggots and peas.

P.S. I couldn't even use that first dish here in the States, not without getting some unwanted attention.
It is tough. Manchester is most definitely in the north and not the Midlands. It used to be in the county of Lancashire before the new metropolitan areas were defined.

Google is your friend

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midlands

https://www.britannica.com/place/Midlands
Old Feb 7th 2019, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by durham_lad

It is tough. Manchester is most definitely in the north and not the Midlands. It used to be in the county of Lancashire before the new metropolitan areas were defined.

Google is your friend

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Midlands

https://www.britannica.com/place/Midlands
I like faggots and peas ... tripe on the other hand definitely something to wash your mouth out with 🤮
Old Feb 8th 2019, 7:09 am
Banned

Faggots are made from pig's heart, liver and the belly area?

The pictures of them seen on the web are not that off putting but like most food in any country the appeal of a particular food comes down to what local norms and customs dictate, and due to trends. Sometime I feel that the national dish in America is the cheese burger because there are two million ways to make the "better burger". But truth be told our national dish really is Chinese food and even with that fact it does depend on what region of the States we're talking about. In the south the most popular food by far is comfort food aka southern food.

I could actually live on macaroni and cheese casseroles, and let me say, no where in the world is this dish made better than in the southeastern united states. But there are also dishes in the States that can create a gag reflex such as ambrosia, pickled pig feet, liver pudding, liver mush, and chitterlings. And the amazing thing is that some of those dishes can be "doctored up" and made to taste better. Chitterlings for example are considered to be a gourmet dish in France. Why, I have no idea.

Last edited by UkWinds5353; Feb 8th 2019 at 7:22 am.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 6:18 pm
Banned

Here's a home near Liverpool.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 6:21 pm
Banned

This home is near Liverpool in Wirral.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 6:24 pm
Banned

Same price home but near Manchester. Pound for pound you get more property in Liverpool.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 7:02 pm
Banned

This home is in Bolton near Manchester. There are a lot of options available even if the cost is higher. My friends want to see what the effects Brexit might have on the greater property situation before they buy. They'll probably rent for about 3 to 6 months before buying, unless of course if the perfect property were to come out from hiding. They have seen a lot of properties and those they liked the best not surprisingly are closer to the dimensions of their house in the States. And that is a big reason they are watching with some anxiety how Brexit will affect the exchange rate after march. Will the pound gain strength against the dollar or will the dollar get closer to parity. Brits moving home from the States are paying 30% more for a property because of the exchange rate and not including stamp duty. The homes my friends like the most cost between 800-900k, but they can afford up to 700k. A difference in the exchange rate could make that more difficult if not impossible, or more possible. I sent them a lot of pictures of homes to consider and his wife particularly appreciated some of my selections even going so far to say that I have a knack for picking comfortable homes. The next two months is going to be interesting.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

This home is near Liverpool in Wirral.
I have 2 brothers who live in the Wirral.
There is a pretty good school system in this area. My 2 nieces moved from Indonesia and have done well.
One is at Liverpool Univeristy doing math and sciences and one is continue to excel at High school.

Old Feb 8th 2019, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Faggots are made from pig's heart, liver and the belly area?

The pictures of them seen on the web are not that off putting but like most food in any country the appeal of a particular food comes down to what local norms and customs dictate, and due to trends. Sometime I feel that the national dish in America is the cheese burger because there are two million ways to make the "better burger". But truth be told our national dish really is Chinese food and even with that fact it does depend on what region of the States we're talking about. In the south the most popular food by far is comfort food aka southern food.

I could actually live on macaroni and cheese casseroles, and let me say, no where in the world is this dish made better than in the southeastern united states. But there are also dishes in the States that can create a gag reflex such as ambrosia, pickled pig feet, liver pudding, liver mush, and chitterlings. And the amazing thing is that some of those dishes can be "doctored up" and made to taste better. Chitterlings for example are considered to be a gourmet dish in France. Why, I have no idea.
I was brought up on offal my kinda food but very really eat anymore.
Old Feb 8th 2019, 10:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sammy2018

I have 2 brothers who live in the Wirral.
There is a pretty good school system in this area. My 2 nieces moved from Indonesia and have done well.
One is at Liverpool Univeristy doing math and sciences and one is continue to excel at High school.

My friends said Liverpool was a place they plan to enjoy once back in the UK for good. His direct quote was a fun night out is a great way to describe Liverpool. They're not moving until spring so there is still a ways to go before the big move.

You have a lot of family there and I'm sure they are looking forward to your return. How does your partner feel about the move to the UK? Looking forward to it as much as you? Has your partner ever lived in the UK before?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.