Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Nov 23rd 2018, 6:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by GeniB
(Something a Northerner would never.
dream of doing. as its ill mannered)
Believe me, they would. I've lost count of the number of times a Northerner has sneered at my 'posh' accent.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, What a lovely informative and accurate post , I am a born and bred manucunian and very proud of where I am from. Having travelled the globe and lived overseas I am still always picked up on my accent (although I sound nothing like Liam and Noel Gallagher lol) and usually by southerners. I find the British to be some of the nicest people I have met and "us Northerner's" to be some of the friendliest. North Lancashire and Cumbria have some excellent areas, superb scenery and all at very reasonable prices compared to some areas mentioned in previous threads.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Come to Yorkshire and receive a proper welcome as shown by this promotional video for Yorkshire Airlines.*

*No such thing
Old Nov 25th 2018, 4:29 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Well a BIG thumbs up for daring to mention Manchester Most British ex-pats would have been horrified at such a suggestion not many years ago. I come from the Lancashire / Cheshire border area just half an hour from Manchester and altho i found it a fabulous area to grow up in .( Lake District / Derbyshire,Southport ,Morecombe and Blackpool all within spitting distance ) Even though it now has the BBC in Manchester ( good as dammit , over the bridge in Salford ) Best shopping mall in the country at the Trafford centre Even though it has two of the worlds top football teams . Man U and Man C... It still retains the stigma of a century of disdain from London and the southern counties. It still retains a myriad of disadvantages against the south. which this couple will have to contend with for their children.
The best schools are deemed to be in the south( apart from some private schools) ie thats where the money is ,so thats where its spent. These schools have 'fast tracks ' into higher education A far higher proportion of kids from the south make it into Oxbridge, which belies the higher population in the Northern conurbations . etc
Do they want their kids 'picked up' on their northern accent all the time. ? Might seem a small thing, but it drove me mad as an Ex-pat in the Netherlands. Every single southerner I met, picked me up on it over the 30 yrs I lived there. (Something a Northerner would never.
Job prospects would most likely be far higher in the south than the north.For them and for their kids. in the future. ( Altho that changed for the first time this year .More IT jobs offered in the north than the south)
Believe me i HATE to say this because having family in both the north and the south of the country I know the north is far superior in quality of life ,work / life balance. than the south .which is now grossly overcrowded ,making travel on the roads and rail a nightmare for many.
They have so many things to take into account. then. Its going to be a matter of making a list of what is really important for them( including weather )
As the guy comes from Scotland but can work from home I would seriously consider the Lake District. It's a wealthier area of the north though so housing is expensive. in which case I would rent for a year .As the Kids are young this won't matter so much. It is deemed the most beautiful area of the country by many, close to motorways and all amenities .Manchester less than an hour and a half away. road and rail links to London.
In any event I would seriously suggest renting wherever they go. It will give them a chance to settle without commitment and take a good look around the country before they decide if its for them.Good luck to them
What a thoughtful post and thank you for your input. My friends are very excited looking forward to the change in culture. He is for sure the driving force behind this move she is happy about it as well but mostly because it's his dream to raise their children in the UK. She is also a UK citizen but has never lived there as an adult so this will be more of a cultural change for her and their kids.They don't strike me as the kind of people that would be overly impressed with status. Both of them are self accomplished and hard working, and they are the types to be fully aware how fortunate it is to be alive. Being here and having your health makes you a very wealthy person. Everything in addition to that is a plus.

And I don't think they get too caught up chasing after the Jones. Liking a particular area or town because it has more status is such a trendy thing which as you mentioned can change over time. That is very true here in the States as well. Figuring out what area to call home might take a few visits. They definitely don't know which area is going to be the best fit. He and she are very down to earth people and enjoy nights out for the adults and that usually includes music. And now that their kids are a bit older going out on the town is not so problematic. But at the same time they do want a town which offers excellent schools and health care.

I like Manchester because it feels like a place that has it all. City life with suburbia just on the outskirts and several cities nearby. And it doesn't come across as a stuck up place ,"look at me I am extremely important".But again that is my opinion of the place one which they might totally disagree with once they arrive next month to see for themselves. A tame quiet village will definitely put their feet to sleep. Going to be interesting to hear their thoughts once they've truly checked out various locations. Think their stay is for nearly one month that should be more than enough time to figure it all out.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol..so funny...I will show this to my freind in otley.

​​​​​​
Old Nov 26th 2018, 6:57 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Just another reason to like Manchester.
Old Nov 27th 2018, 5:32 am
Banned

Well a BIG thumbs up for daring to mention Manchester Most British ex-pats would have been horrified at such a suggestion not many years ago. I come from the Lancashire / Cheshire border area just half an hour from Manchester and altho i found it a fabulous area to grow up in .( Lake District / Derbyshire,Southport ,Morecombe and Blackpool all within spitting distance ) Even though it now has the BBC in Manchester ( good as dammit , over the bridge in Salford ) Best shopping mall in the country at the Trafford centre Even though it has two of the worlds top football teams . Man U and Man C... It still retains the stigma of a century of disdain from London and the southern counties. It still retains a myriad of disadvantages against the south. which this couple will have to contend with for their children.
The best schools are deemed to be in the south( apart from some private schools) ie thats where the money is ,so thats where its spent. These schools have 'fast tracks ' into higher education A far higher proportion of kids from the south make it into Oxbridge, which belies the higher population in the Northern conurbations . etc
Do they want their kids 'picked up' on their northern accent all the time. ? Might seem a small thing, but it drove me mad as an Ex-pat in the Netherlands. Every single southerner I met, picked me up on it over the 30 yrs I lived there. (Something a Northerner would never.
Job prospects would most likely be far higher in the south than the north.For them and for their kids. in the future. ( Altho that changed for the first time this year .More IT jobs offered in the north than the south)
Believe me i HATE to say this because having family in both the north and the south of the country I know the north is far superior in quality of life ,work / life balance. than the south .which is now grossly overcrowded ,making travel on the roads and rail a nightmare for many.
They have so many things to take into account. then. Its going to be a matter of making a list of what is really important for them( including weather )
As the guy comes from Scotland but can work from home I would seriously consider the Lake District. It's a wealthier area of the north though so housing is expensive. in which case I would rent for a year .As the Kids are young this won't matter so much. It is deemed the most beautiful area of the country by many, close to motorways and all amenities .Manchester less than an hour and a half away. road and rail links to London.
In any event I would seriously suggest renting wherever they go. It will give them a chance to settle without commitment and take a good look around the country before they decide if its for them.Good luck to them
GeniB

Two things are obviously apparent. You have a great deal experience living in the UK and knowing the culture, and I don't. I stayed there for a handful of years before my wife and I realized it wasn't the best fit. I mentioned to my friends that are moving to the UK about your thoughts of the north versus south bias in GB and he totally agreed with it. But he did say there were some other differences. May I ask you a few questions?
Between the north & south UK, which in general is more friendly, progressive thinking, and more diverse? If jobs are not a concern when deciding where to live in the UK what three cities would be your top choices?

Thanks GeniB
Old Nov 28th 2018, 4:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
May I ask you a few questions?
Between the north & south UK, which in general is more friendly, progressive thinking, and more diverse? I

Ooooo. This will be interesting.

Bit like the accent/dialect thing. I've had plenty of UK northerners be a bit unpleasant over my UK southern accent & that's here in New Zealand for goodness sake. No idea why the need but it can be tiresome. I wouldn't dream of making comment.

Given the movement of people - South/North & North/South within the UK over the past few decades , I'd be surprised that there is any real divide as such these years. Decades ago perhaps but not so much so now. At least only for those that make it that way.

BEVS
Bournemouth born and bred.
South West England.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 11:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by BEVS
Ooooo. This will be interesting.

Bit like the accent/dialect thing. I've had plenty of UK northerners be a bit unpleasant over my UK southern accent & that's here in New Zealand for goodness sake. No idea why the need but it can be tiresome. I wouldn't dream of making comment.

Given the movement of people - South/North & North/South within the UK over the past few decades , I'd be surprised that there is any real divide as such these years. Decades ago perhaps but not so much so now. At least only for those that make it that way.

BEVS
Bournemouth born and bred.
South West England.
Thank you BEVS

I have a feeling my friends will meet a great many people like yourself once back in the UK.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 11:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Between the north & south UK, which in general is more friendly, progressive thinking, and more diverse? If jobs are not a concern when deciding where to live in the UK what three cities would be your top choices?
I'm not sure you can divide North/South like that, you could maybe compare London v a northern City, but IME our village 'down south' is as friendly as you can get despite the north having a friendlier reputation. Maybe you'd say the south is more diverse, but again it depends on if you're comparing like for like or not, certainly a small village in Hampshire won't be anywhere near as diverse as Manchester etc.

Not sure how long ago GeniB left the UK, but some of their opinions seem to be from quite a while ago! Things have changed a lot IMO.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Not "North and South UK" but "North and South England"
Old Nov 28th 2018, 7:44 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by scot47
Not "North and South UK" but "North and South England"
True Scot47. My error . I did mean England.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 5:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm not sure you can divide North/South like that, you could maybe compare London v a northern City, but IME our village 'down south' is as friendly as you can get despite the north having a friendlier reputation. Maybe you'd say the south is more diverse, but again it depends on if you're comparing like for like or not, certainly a small village in Hampshire won't be anywhere near as diverse as Manchester etc.

Not sure how long ago GeniB left the UK, but some of their opinions seem to be from quite a while ago! Things have changed a lot IMO.
christmasoompa

What factors do you think has changed the most about the class system in the last 15 years which would demonstrate less of a north versus south bias? Do you think diversity is embraced as much in smaller cities in the north versus the south? And has Brexit made diversity less acceptable in smaller cities in the northeast(York-Grimsby)-northwest(Blackpool-Liverpool) versus the southeast(Dover-Brighton)-southwest(Bristol-Reading) regions?

May I ask you what's your thoughts on Reading, Watford, and St Albans in terms of friendliness, diversity, and community spirit? My friends mentioned to me tonight that they are open to increasing their housing budget. I think they've come to terms with the reality that quality housing + good schools + entertainment = more money lol. They want to hit the ball out the park the first time so they don't have to move but one time in the UK, from the rental to a home purchase. Their new budget is 700K.

I'm still trying to figure out where can they actually have it all for their budget. Moving to a interesting area with fun music venues plus friendly people that will knock on your door to welcome a new person to the neighborhood doesn't happen everywhere. Very soon they will be on holiday and will hopefully feel a connection after viewing several places.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Believe me, they would. I've lost count of the number of times a Northerner has sneered at my 'posh' accent.
Your kidding ? right ? NEVER ever heard of that and i have met hundreds of ex-pats during 30 yrs in the EU....
Old Nov 29th 2018, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

GeniB

Two things are obviously apparent. You have a great deal experience living in the UK and knowing the culture, and I don't. I stayed there for a handful of years before my wife and I realized it wasn't the best fit. I mentioned to my friends that are moving to the UK about your thoughts of the north versus south bias in GB and he totally agreed with it. But he did say there were some other differences. May I ask you a few questions?

Thanks GeniB
Thats a huge question which I don't think it would be fair for me to answer anymore. I haven't lived in the uk for over 30 yrs ,altho I visit a lot. I love both parts of the North and parts of the South. My family contains both Southerners and Northerners. ( and no we don't divide on accents Only football teams) The North has the reputation of being the friendlier (I would say..less suspicious ) of strangers to their area's but that I feel must have changed over the years in the larger cities. at least.
If I went back to the UK now I would avoid cities like the plague ,but that could be an age and experience thing. The only city I would want to live in now would be Antwerp. Not much help to you there then
It is still a case of try it and see for yourself. .London is obviously going to come up as the most progressive and diverse don't you think? However its pretty impossible to live in it now. My family from Cambridge and Oxford would say either of those university cities would be ideal ( and I would agree ) If your academic and prize that above all else ,and you have a pretty healthy budget live there .
Its a hugely diverse country I think you just have decide how you want to live ,then find the where .Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.