Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Best relocation areas in the UK?

Old Nov 13th 2018, 11:56 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Many would disagree with that.

OP, they want to be within 90 mins of London? Some of their choices are slightly odd in that case, 90 mins isn't realistic for a lot of them. I live in the Reading area, if I can help with any specific questions about that? I love it as it's incredibly rural where I live, but we can be in London in an hour (or quicker with a fast train) and are also within an hour of the coast, Bath, Oxford, Windsor, New Forest, etc. Schools are amazing here, among the best in the country. No idea on the music scene I'm afraid, not my kind of thing, although of course Reading Festival is a huge one.

Does he need to commute to a particular part of London? That may well have a bearing on where will be within 90 mins.
Thanks for your help. My friends are entrepreneurs and work from home which is a convenience for them and takes much of the pressure off of their move. Their main goal in deciding not to live near London is to have a calm place to raise the kids. Fun music scenes near the burbs are usually more associated with midsize cities here in the States. Places like Nashville, Asheville, New Orleans, ect. Not a easy thing to find a calm suburbia location that has a vibrant music scene within 15 minutes of one's neighborhood in the UK. They might be asking for too much. But as a friend I don't mind asking a few questions on their behalf.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 12:00 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Bristol or Brighton might be worth a look
Those are on their list. Thanks for the confirmation and will look into them further. Do you think Bristol has a busier nightlife compared to Brighton?
Old Nov 14th 2018, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I'm not 100% sure because they have talked about a range more than a set purchase price. But he mentioned about 500k sterling. Their home here in the States has already sold and the majority of that will be used for the down payment. They use to live in my current neighborhood and the homes here on average are the exchange rate equivalent. I've been looking online with them and they have been searching for several months, but now their home is sold the move is far more real. Honestly, it's too bad they don't want to move to Scotland. Homes in the Glasgow area are amazing with a great deal of charm while still being in their price range.
That budget isn't going to get a lot in any of the better parts of those areas. For example, we used to live in Windsor, very close to Reading. That budget wouldn't get you a small terraced house.

I agree reed with the sentiment regarding Glasgow. I live south of Glasgow near the little town of Strathaven and think it is a great place for a family. Oh, and a flight to London takes 30 minutes and costs less than a train ticket from some of the locations they are looking at and Glasgow has one of the biggest music scenes in the UK. But, if they really don't want to, then with that budget, I would recommend somewhere in the Midlands as most would be within 90 minutes of London and being central give access to the UK easily and will give a lot more for their budget.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I would say very much so, Bath, York and Norwich are smaller attractive cities with everything you need. York and Bath are near much larger cities if required ie Bristol and Leeds, Norwich is About 2 hours from London. DurroundiSu areas of all 3 are just lovely, as I am from the North I like my Hills so norwich slightly looses out for me in that score but is much nearer to some wonderful beaches and coastline....But I would still feel a bit isolated in Norwich as getting to and from other cities it's all A roads which might be a blessing to some lol. Good luck
Old Nov 14th 2018, 9:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by verystormy

That budget isn't going to get a lot in any of the better parts of those areas. For example, we used to live in Windsor, very close to Reading. That budget wouldn't get you a small terraced house.

I agree reed with the sentiment regarding Glasgow. I live south of Glasgow near the little town of Strathaven and think it is a great place for a family. Oh, and a flight to London takes 30 minutes and costs less than a train ticket from some of the locations they are looking at and Glasgow has one of the biggest music scenes in the UK. But, if they really don't want to, then with that budget, I would recommend somewhere in the Midlands as most would be within 90 minutes of London and being central give access to the UK easily and will give a lot more for their budget.
My friends are wonderful people but I'm not sure if they are fully prepared for the change in lifestyle. In the states they lived in a nearly 5.000 square foot home and have become very accustomed to the additional space. I think he will do best in accepting the difference in housing options especially if they stick to their target areas. It will be more of a challenge for the wife and kids. I personally lived in Manchester and had such a great time there so I know first hand how budget friendly that area can be for a 500K price range.

Time will tell how determined they are to stick with that price range once on the ground in the UK and actually living there. I think then the reality of it all will help crystalize what are the biggest priorities in selecting a new home. Renting for several months will give them enough time for everything to make sense. But I agree with you that they might want to invest additional funds if their goal is to come close to the amount of space they had in the States. I noticed several special properties on Rightmove but many of them were about 650k-750K range.. Personally, i'd give Scotland another chance.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 9:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi, I would say very much so, Bath, York and Norwich are smaller attractive cities with everything you need. York and Bath are near much larger cities if required ie Bristol and Leeds, Norwich is About 2 hours from London. DurroundiSu areas of all 3 are just lovely, as I am from the North I like my Hills so norwich slightly looses out for me in that score but is much nearer to some wonderful beaches and coastline....But I would still feel a bit isolated in Norwich as getting to and from other cities it's all A roads which might be a blessing to some lol. Good luck
Bristol being near several other cities is a major selling point which could influence their final decision. I wonder if there are ferries which travel from Bristol to Dublin?
Old Nov 14th 2018, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Bristol being near several other cities is a major selling point which could influence their final decision. I wonder if there are ferries which travel from Bristol to Dublin?
In Ireland myself. Irish Ferries/Stena goes from Pembroke to Rosslare and Holyhead to Dublin. Otherwise you have Liverpool - Dublin with P&O but no Bristol. You also have Belfast Route.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 2:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
It'll get them a 3 bed detached, or a 4 bed semi in Windsor according to Rightmove? Where I live (near Reading) it would get them a decent family home. Not huge, but ok.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 3:45 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

My friends are wonderful people but I'm not sure if they are fully prepared for the change in lifestyle. In the states they lived in a nearly 5.000 square foot home and have become very accustomed to the additional space. I think he will do best in accepting the difference in housing options especially if they stick to their target areas. It will be more of a challenge for the wife and kids. I personally lived in Manchester and had such a great time there so I know first hand how budget friendly that area can be for a 500K price range.

Time will tell how determined they are to stick with that price range once on the ground in the UK and actually living there. I think then the reality of it all will help crystalize what are the biggest priorities in selecting a new home. Renting for several months will give them enough time for everything to make sense. But I agree with you that they might want to invest additional funds if their goal is to come close to the amount of space they had in the States. I noticed several special properties on Rightmove but many of them were about 650k-750K range.. Personally, i'd give Scotland another chance.

We are planning to return to the UK in 2020 after 24 years in Canada. We initially thought of relocating to Spain (warmer climate) but decided that as we wanted to be nearer family and friends we would settle back in our native Scotland albeit a totally different area all together. We did re-think out options and looked at Norfolk but again our move is to be closer to family.... Now we have decided that we will move back to Scotland, just not decided where yet and I can tell you that decision has brought us peace.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 6:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by vh3
We are planning to return to the UK in 2020 after 24 years in Canada. We initially thought of relocating to Spain (warmer climate) but decided that as we wanted to be nearer family and friends we would settle back in our native Scotland albeit a totally different area all together. We did re-think out options and looked at Norfolk but again our move is to be closer to family.... Now we have decided that we will move back to Scotland, just not decided where yet and I can tell you that decision has brought us peace.
You and your family must be over the moon with excitement that this new chapter will bring to you. How long have you been planning to return back to Scotland and will you be working once back in the UK? Do you have children that will remain back in Canada? Congrats on your decision and I hope it goes exactly the way you plan.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 8:07 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

You and your family must be over the moon with excitement that this new chapter will bring to you. How long have you been planning to return back to Scotland and will you be working once back in the UK? Do you have children that will remain back in Canada? Congrats on your decision and I hope it goes exactly the way you plan.

We have known we wouldn't retire here in Canada for the last couple of years and our family will find out our plans when we vacation next year. If all goes well, we will retire and settle down in August 2020. We don't have children therefore the decision to return was easy but I know we would have felt differently if that had been the case. We would not have changed our experience but now we want to travel to Europe, re investigate Scotland and visit parts of the UK we never did. The core things we miss have never gone away, family friends and humour.
Old Nov 15th 2018, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

PrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond repute

West coast of Scotland, of course!

Okay, I'm biased. That's where we're going when we move back next year.

Last edited by PrairieWriter; Nov 15th 2018 at 7:53 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2018, 8:02 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PrairieWriter
West coast of Scotland, of course!

Okay, I'm biased. That's where we're going when we move back next year.

We are planning a trip back next year. Starting off in Edinburgh, then the Borders up through Dunblane, Crieff and Perth before heading north to visit family. By the end of that trip we should have finalized exactly where do we want to be. We think we know where we will settle but just want to tour around, spend time in each place before making the big decision as to where.
Old Nov 15th 2018, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

PrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vh3
We are planning a trip back next year. Starting off in Edinburgh, then the Borders up through Dunblane, Crieff and Perth before heading north to visit family. By the end of that trip we should have finalized exactly where do we want to be. We think we know where we will settle but just want to tour around, spend time in each place before making the big decision as to where.
Edinburgh is gorgeous! Nicest city in Scotland, I think.

We had viewings lined up all around Ayrshire, Dumfries and also out on the peninsulas. Went to the first two viewings out on Kintyre and fell totally in love with everything about the place (the house, the location, the people, the remoteness, the microclimate etc). So we bought the second house we saw and canceled all the other viewings! Job done! We closed in September and my mum is taking care of the place until we get there next year. I'm very much looking forward to it. My husband is an artist (oil paints) and there's just endless inspiration, even in crummy weather. I am a writer, so we're both self employed, which is a definite bonus when you're that far out. Internet is only 5mbps, but should be upgraded to inland speeds by mid 2020 (according to BT). Let the adventures begin!

I hope you find a beautiful home in a perfect location for you! It's a big step, but hey, Scotland is a great country, isn't it.
Old Nov 15th 2018, 8:12 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PrairieWriter
Edinburgh is gorgeous! Nicest city in Scotland, I think.

We had viewings lined up all around Ayrshire, Dumfries and also out on the peninsulas. Went to the first two viewings out on Kintyre and fell totally in love with everything about the place (the house, the location, the people, the remoteness, the microclimate etc). So we bought the second house we saw and canceled all the other viewings! Job done! We closed in September and my mum is taking care of the place until we get there next year. I'm very much looking forward to it. My husband is an artist (oil paints) and there's just endless inspiration, even in crummy weather. I am a writer, so we're both self employed, which is a definite bonus when you're that far out. Internet is only 5mbps, but should be upgraded to inland speeds by mid 2020 (according to BT). Let the adventures begin!

I hope you find a beautiful home in a perfect location for you! It's a big step, but hey, Scotland is a great country, isn't it.
Wow, that is amazing finding your own idea of heaven on the second viewing... We are very much looking forward to returning home and know that where ever we decide there is no bad choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.