Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best PLaces to Live article

Best PLaces to Live article

Old Mar 22nd 2019, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best PLaces to Live article

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
Thanks for the responses. I know that everyone here thinks I should go for a visit first. I have reasons that this is not a choice for me. I will not put my dog in a kennel, I hate flying and I can't just take time off of my business. With all due respect, I wish people would stop telling me to do that. I need to figure out the best place to land for perhaps 6 months, rent a small house with a yard for my dog, and search around from there. My budget will allow for about $900-1,000 per month. I will either rent a car or buy one used. I want a safe, nice area no matter what. If that means living further north, ok. I don't want a crappy little place. I want a decent home. I am open to Scotland or England.

I hope to get more ideas, but it seems some people here are tired of my questions and critical of the time it has taken me to get to my moving.
Everyone's life is different.

Any more ideas about locations, as usual, are greatly appreciated.
Scotland is certainly somewhere to consider. We moved from Australia in 2016 and are now in central Scotland. .we hadn't lived here previously, but it has many advantages. The countryside is stunning and house prices are generally much cheaper, with the exception of Edinburgh. For example, we live in a very pretty tiny village in stunning countryside that would be well within your budget. We don't have a shop in the village, but there is a small town in walking distance that has everything - 2 supermarkets, a good range of independent shops such as butchers, bakers, greengrocer and others as well as doctors and vets.

Downside, the weather is significantly wetter and colder than southern England and we get a fair amount of snow - it is well into Spring and we are expecting snow this weekend.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Tahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really nice

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
Thanks for the responses. I know that everyone here thinks I should go for a visit first. I have reasons that this is not a choice for me. I will not put my dog in a kennel, I hate flying and I can't just take time off of my business. With all due respect, I wish people would stop telling me to do that. I need to figure out the best place to land for perhaps 6 months, rent a small house with a yard for my dog, and search around from there. My budget will allow for about $900-1,000 per month. I will either rent a car or buy one used. I want a safe, nice area no matter what. If that means living further north, ok. I don't want a crappy little place. I want a decent home. I am open to Scotland or England.

I hope to get more ideas, but it seems some people here are tired of my questions and critical of the time it has taken me to get to my moving.
Everyone's life is different.

Any more ideas about locations, as usual, are greatly appreciated.
Hi there!

your question (and the responses you received) got me thinking: is there an alternative way of looking at your conundrum? So here are some thoughts you might like to consider.

Firslty, lets look at your rental budget: you indicated a budget of $1000/ month. Assuming that’s right - that equates to around £9000/year. Looking at typical rent to valuation ratios - a typical annual rent might be between 3% and 6% of the value of the property. With a lower percentage being applicable to the South East and 6% being found in cheaper areas - such as the North West. If we pick say 5% as a figure, the property you’d be trying to rent would be valued at say £185,000.

Why is this a useful figure? Well in my view - it helps narrow your search substantially. Now you said you wanted a decent place, with garden for dog. I would argue you’re not going to find such a place in the South East of England for £185k or so. Similarly - you can rule out the South West, London, the Home Counties and most major cities (Bristol, Oxford, Manchester, Liverpool, York etc). You’re left with a broad area say North of Birmingham to say the Scottish border and probably beyond.

And before you say “Yes, but I’ve found this lovely little cottage on the south coast that’s going for £600 a month and it’s just perfect” - I’d respond with “You might get lucky - but you might equally spend months looking for that once in a blue moon property that doesn’t comply with the “rules” I’ve suggested above - so if you’re short of time, focus on the areas that are likely to yield an acceptable result.

Secondly - temperature.

What's he on about? Simple, the further North you go the colder on average it gets. My wife didn’t want to move to the North West because she reckons it’s five degrees (F) colder on average. So moving further North might be too cold for you.

Thirdly - facilities.

You have to decide if you want to live in the middle of nowhere (relatively speaking) or in a town with facilities - shops, docs, pub etc. I’d argue that you should be looking at more built up areas - a. because facilities in my view come in handy (especially as one gets older) but b. and perhaps more importantly - you have more choice of rental properties likely to be on offer. So that means you have more chance of finding something you like more quickly.

So what's the conclusion?

well there isn’t one really - but I’d look at Lytham in the North West - I’m familiar with the area and there’s a ready supply of decent houses for rent in your price bracket - and there are some nice cafes and restaurants. Plus there’s easy access to the lakes, and a major airport (Manchester).

Otheriwse, I’d take a look at Cheshire smaller towns. But I’d say don’t bother looking at locations you’re unlikely to be able to afford.

Hope the the above helps - and thanks for letting me pontificate!

final note: all the above figures are just examples - do your own maths!
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tahiti_Bound
Hi there!

your question (and the responses you received) got me thinking: is there an alternative way of looking at your conundrum? So here are some thoughts you might like to consider.

Firslty, lets look at your rental budget: you indicated a budget of $1000/ month. Assuming that’s right - that equates to around £9000/year. Looking at typical rent to valuation ratios - a typical annual rent might be between 3% and 6% of the value of the property. With a lower percentage being applicable to the South East and 6% being found in cheaper areas - such as the North West. If we pick say 5% as a figure, the property you’d be trying to rent would be valued at say £185,000.

Why is this a useful figure? Well in my view - it helps narrow your search substantially. Now you said you wanted a decent place, with garden for dog. I would argue you’re not going to find such a place in the South East of England for £185k or so. Similarly - you can rule out the South West, London, the Home Counties and most major cities (Bristol, Oxford, Manchester, Liverpool, York etc). You’re left with a broad area say North of Birmingham to say the Scottish border and probably beyond.

And before you say “Yes, but I’ve found this lovely little cottage on the south coast that’s going for £600 a month and it’s just perfect” - I’d respond with “You might get lucky - but you might equally spend months looking for that once in a blue moon property that doesn’t comply with the “rules” I’ve suggested above - so if you’re short of time, focus on the areas that are likely to yield an acceptable result.

Secondly - temperature.

What's he on about? Simple, the further North you go the colder on average it gets. My wife didn’t want to move to the North West because she reckons it’s five degrees (F) colder on average. So moving further North might be too cold for you.

Thirdly - facilities.

You have to decide if you want to live in the middle of nowhere (relatively speaking) or in a town with facilities - shops, docs, pub etc. I’d argue that you should be looking at more built up areas - a. because facilities in my view come in handy (especially as one gets older) but b. and perhaps more importantly - you have more choice of rental properties likely to be on offer. So that means you have more chance of finding something you like more quickly.

So what's the conclusion?

well there isn’t one really - but I’d look at Lytham in the North West - I’m familiar with the area and there’s a ready supply of decent houses for rent in your price bracket - and there are some nice cafes and restaurants. Plus there’s easy access to the lakes, and a major airport (Manchester).

Otheriwse, I’d take a look at Cheshire smaller towns. But I’d say don’t bother looking at locations you’re unlikely to be able to afford.

Hope the the above helps - and thanks for letting me pontificate!

final note: all the above figures are just examples - do your own maths!
I'm afraid you backed into the wrong conclusion by looking at rental returns to come to freehold values to come to viable areas to search.

There are tons of properties in the West Country - which is dog and pet friendly, safe and mild (inland less so) - listed at below 800 a month with a garden. The West Country has high property values in general but low rental costs because there simply isn't the means to pay high rents for the average citizen (apart from in Bristol and Exeter) which is why so many properties are rented through housing associations. The only other area which commands higher rents is (south) South Hams.

So, areas around Truro/Falmouth, Lostwithiel, Totnes, Exmouth/Sidmouth area, Taunton, Frome, Castle Cary/Bruton, Wareham/Purbeck, Bradford-on-Avon, even Cirencester??, would be good for six months starter period and then quite possibly longer-term. Plenty of community life, some well-known at the national level. What is more, a car is not absolutely necessary. All of these places have rail links, except Cirencester, which is four miles away in Kemble.

"affordability, social activities, shopping, transportation, weather, safety, medical, dental and veterinary services?" - all boxes ticked. As I say, inland can be decidedly chillier in winter.

There is of course a problem with using the prerequisites that Halifax used for quality of life because the OP isn't looking for areas of high employment or small class sizes so this particular survey doesn't put forward the normal best quality of life areas such as Craven, Purbeck/West Dorset and North Cornwall and Fowey but indeed Eden tops most lists, in England.
Old Mar 24th 2019, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

vicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Best PLaces to Live article

Originally Posted by verystormy

Scotland is certainly somewhere to consider. We moved from Australia in 2016 and are now in central Scotland. .we hadn't lived here previously, but it has many advantages. The countryside is stunning and house prices are generally much cheaper, with the exception of Edinburgh. For example, we live in a very pretty tiny village in stunning countryside that would be well within your budget. We don't have a shop in the village, but there is a small town in walking distance that has everything - 2 supermarkets, a good range of independent shops such as butchers, bakers, greengrocer and others as well as doctors and vets.

Downside, the weather is significantly wetter and colder than southern England and we get a fair amount of snow - it is well into Spring and we are expecting snow this weekend.
We're looking at the Scottish Borders area for a move back to the UK - it's close(ish) to family and the education system seems closer to NZ than England, commuting to Edinburgh would also be an option so more job prospects. Just wondered if you have any tips verystormy? Rental properties appear to be scarce and we're focused on finding somewhere with a good secondary school. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Mar 24th 2019, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Caroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond reputeCaroline in Arizona has a reputation beyond repute

My cousin lives in Peebles and we were there for 4 days last October. He’s been there with his family for over 20 years. It is beautiful with a great and lively high street and he absolutely loves it. Super walks along the river. He commutes each day into Edinburgh for his job either by car or by bus. Best wishes.
Old Mar 24th 2019, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vicejw
We're looking at the Scottish Borders area for a move back to the UK - it's close(ish) to family and the education system seems closer to NZ than England, commuting to Edinburgh would also be an option so more job prospects. Just wondered if you have any tips verystormy? Rental properties appear to be scarce and we're focused on finding somewhere with a good secondary school. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks
My wife’s sister and her son and grandchildren have lived in Balerno for over 30 years. It is a lovely area with great bus services into Edinburgh. We love visiting there.
Old Mar 25th 2019, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Rental situation seems to be bad everywhere these days unfortunately. No clue about job prospects around Edinburgh but I drove to Belfast this weekend from the Republic of Ireland and must say that the city center was really nice and they've done a lot in recent years. Compared to other city centers in the UK it looked clean and it was very easy to walk to places but no idea what kind of work is available. But if you've been living in the Republic of Ireland for so long, you do realise that the UK is a strange place and it's probably more so in Northern Ireland than Scotland but there are similarities and England is really a complete different country. I do feel that the Republic of Ireland is closer to New Zealand in many ways.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m just back from a 10-day stay in Northern Ireland. No doubt my impressions are coloured by the fact that we had blue(ish) skies every day and it didn’t rain once but I must say the place was looking great. There seems to be a lot of interest in protecting the environment (check out the Billy Neill playing fields where the council is incorporating biodiversity wetlands into a project to improve sports facilities). Beekeeping is growing in popularity and I noticed quite a few “honey for sale” signs outside private houses. There are funky little cafes opening everywhere (eg Loaf pottery & cafe in Crawfordsburn where the Conservation Volunteers association was out planting a little community garden this week).
As ever, people like to chat and every day brought conversations with complete strangers. Although I fear this is one tradition that will eventually disappear as everybody under 30 is wearing ear pods and glued to an electronic device.

All in all, Northern Ireland really feels like it’s on the up. I kept bumping into 30-something Spaniards who had moved there to live and work. When I inquired what had prompted the move from Spain, they told me Belfast is fast becoming a tech hub, but with far lower living costs than Dublin.
One young couple even said that after 5 years in Ireland they couldn’t cope with the summers in Alicante any more because their skin had changed!!
Old Mar 29th 2019, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
I’m just back from a 10-day stay in Northern Ireland. No doubt my impressions are coloured by the fact that we had blue(ish) skies every day and it didn’t rain once but I must say the place was looking great. There seems to be a lot of interest in protecting the environment (check out the Billy Neill playing fields where the council is incorporating biodiversity wetlands into a project to improve sports facilities). Beekeeping is growing in popularity and I noticed quite a few “honey for sale” signs outside private houses. There are funky little cafes opening everywhere (eg Loaf pottery & cafe in Crawfordsburn where the Conservation Volunteers association was out planting a little community garden this week).
As ever, people like to chat and every day brought conversations with complete strangers. Although I fear this is one tradition that will eventually disappear as everybody under 30 is wearing ear pods and glued to an electronic device.

All in all, Northern Ireland really feels like it’s on the up. I kept bumping into 30-something Spaniards who had moved there to live and work. When I inquired what had prompted the move from Spain, they told me Belfast is fast becoming a tech hub, but with far lower living costs than Dublin.
One young couple even said that after 5 years in Ireland they couldn’t cope with the summers in Alicante any more because their skin had changed!!
I definitely have to explore Northern Ireland more. We only managed to stay around Belfast, because it was just a day trip but as you say it's definitely an option and many people often forget Northern Ireland.
I can imagine that for people wanting a smaller compact city with lower housing costs, it's a great alternative. There seems to be many nice coastal areas that still aren't far from city. From Hollywood past Helens Bay to Bangor, you seem to still have housing options that look affordable.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi vicejw
Edinburgh is an expensive city because of the pressure on the housing market due to the parliament.
They have built lots of apartments near the river to help ease the housing problem but many of the apartments have been bought as 2nd homes.
In Edinburgh, many people feel that their children need to go to the "correct" school (private and expensive) and therefore there is pressure to live in an area close to the chosen school.
Ordinary people are having to move further and further out of the city to find affordable homes.
My SIL moved to Edinburgh 25 years ago and had to live 20 miles from Edinburgh to find an affordable home.
I am not a fan of Penicuik itself but the surrounding countryside is beautiful especially if you like walking or skiing (dry sky slope nearby).
Edinburgh is a nightmare by car and the ring road is badly congested during rush hour.
I never take my car to Edinburgh.
I would look at areas with good transport connections into Edinburgh. I would have a look at the Borders Railway link which was re-opened a few years ago.
Have a look at the results table for public schools in Scotland
Scotland schools league tables.
HTH
Old Mar 30th 2019, 10:59 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

It might be better to rent a holiday cottage for a short time. It would be furnished, and provide dishes, linens, tv, pot and pans, etc. The electricity and gas would be on, and there would be WiFi. When you rent a house in the UK, you the renter, have to pay the council tax (property tax). Since you have not lived in the UK before, renting a house and getting everything set up would be quite confusing. Lots of the places on that list are very expensive.

I was in Hereford last summer and found it very nice. Good shopping, cafes, Saturday market, park, river, cathedral. Train station in town, and National Express coaches. I think it would be affordable for you.