Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best PLaces to Live article

Best PLaces to Live article

Old Mar 19th 2019, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute
Question Best PLaces to Live article

Can anyone comment on these places in terms of affordability, social activities, shopping, transportation, weather, safety, medical, dental and veterinary services?

Thanks,
DG

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-01-26/...e-uk-revealed/
Old Mar 19th 2019, 5:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best PLaces to Live article

That's a peculiar list, most of them aren't even specific places but just general areas. So a bit hard to comment. But pretty much everywhere in the UK will give you access to public transport, shopping, vets, etc, etc. It's a small island so nowhere is too far away. Just the affordability bit that varies hugely!
Old Mar 19th 2019, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That's a peculiar list, most of them aren't even specific places but just general areas. So a bit hard to comment. But pretty much everywhere in the UK will give you access to public transport, shopping, vets, etc, etc. It's a small island so nowhere is too far away. Just the affordability bit that varies hugely!
Do you know what areas mentioned are affordable (middle class, for lack of a better term) and still quite nice?
Old Mar 19th 2019, 6:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
Do you know what areas mentioned are affordable (middle class, for lack of a better term) and still quite nice?
Depends on your definition of affordable - what sort of budget and for what sort of property?
Old Mar 20th 2019, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That's a peculiar list, most of them aren't even specific places but just general areas.
They're all District Councils - so the specificness depends on the local borders (eg City of St Albans is a District that sounds like a specific place, but Wiltshire would have to be done as a single entity on that list as they went unitary about a decade ago).
Old Mar 20th 2019, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone comment on these places in terms of affordability, social activities, shopping, transportation, weather, safety, medical, dental and veterinary services?

Thanks,
DG

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-01-26/...e-uk-revealed/
We have visited a lot of the town's mentioned in the article and some areas mentioned, in general North Yorkshire is a very nice area to live with easy access to essentials, the ribble valley is a lovely area in Lancashire not near any large cities as such is known for being a very good area to live especially in the South, homes are generally cheaper here than say Manchester or Leeds.
It's a hard thing to way up really, weather in the North in certain areas might not be as good as in the south east, the south west tend to be similar to the north west but a bit warmer, for a smallish island the weather can differ just "down the road" lol,
A lot of the areas mentioned most people could not afford to live there due to the house prices. In general, good/nice areas in the north, east/west Midlands, parts of the south west, Anglia are cheaper than in the south east and parts of the home counties.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 9:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
They're all District Councils - so the specificness depends on the local borders (eg City of St Albans is a District that sounds like a specific place, but Wiltshire would have to be done as a single entity on that list as they went unitary about a decade ago).
They are yes, but that's what I mean, far too broad an area! Some of them are huge areas, so not helpful at all as there's a big variation depending on where in that area you are.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

PrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond repute

Probably best to come over for a short tour of the country before picking a place to live. It’ll make your decision so much easier. A personal look is so much better than basing a place to live on the views of forum members, as they’ll all have different opinions and preferences. Take Yorkshire for example: the difference between a rental in the Yorkshire Moors National Park and a rental in, say, Morley is utterly profound.

If you really want to move, hop on a return flight (Icelandair has some very cheap deals for folks willing to hustle through the throng at Reykjavik airport) and take a few National Express coaches through the areas you’re thinking of moving to. Youth hostels offer very cheap accommodation if you need to make the trip on a budget. I’d doubt you’d regret a trip like this if you did decide to pull the trigger and move permanently.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 4:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by PrairieWriter
Probably best to come over for a short tour of the country before picking a place to live. It’ll make your decision so much easier. A personal look is so much better than basing a place to live on the views of forum members, as they’ll all have different opinions and preferences. Take Yorkshire for example: the difference between a rental in the Yorkshire Moors National Park and a rental in, say, Morley is utterly profound.

If you really want to move, hop on a return flight (Icelandair has some very cheap deals for folks willing to hustle through the throng at Reykjavik airport) and take a few National Express coaches through the areas you’re thinking of moving to. Youth hostels offer very cheap accommodation if you need to make the trip on a budget. I’d doubt you’d regret a trip like this if you did decide to pull the trigger and move permanently.
Couldn't agree more but OP has discounted a visit each time it's been suggested previously. S/he is moving permanently within the next month so I don't think will have time to visit now. Hopefully s/he can find somewhere s/he is happy with.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the responses. I know that everyone here thinks I should go for a visit first. I have reasons that this is not a choice for me. I will not put my dog in a kennel, I hate flying and I can't just take time off of my business. With all due respect, I wish people would stop telling me to do that. I need to figure out the best place to land for perhaps 6 months, rent a small house with a yard for my dog, and search around from there. My budget will allow for about $900-1,000 per month. I will either rent a car or buy one used. I want a safe, nice area no matter what. If that means living further north, ok. I don't want a crappy little place. I want a decent home. I am open to Scotland or England.

I hope to get more ideas, but it seems some people here are tired of my questions and critical of the time it has taken me to get to my moving.
Everyone's life is different.

Any more ideas about locations, as usual, are greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 6:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for the responses. I know that everyone here thinks I should go for a visit first. I have reasons that this is not a choice for me. I will not put my dog in a kennel, I hate flying and I can't just take time off of my business. With all due respect, I wish people would stop telling me to do that. I need to figure out the best place to land for perhaps 6 months, rent a small house with a yard for my dog, and search around from there. My budget will allow for about $900-1,000 per month. I will either rent a car or buy one used. I want a safe, nice area no matter what. If that means living further north, ok. I don't want a crappy little place. I want a decent home. I am open to Scotland or England.

I hope to get more ideas, but it seems some people here are tired of my questions and critical of the time it has taken me to get to my moving.

Please don't be defensive. Prairiewriter may well not know your history on the board, and will have had no idea that lots of us have suggested you visit first already. She simply thought it was a helpful suggestion.

Dollars or pounds? If dollars, going to be quite tight. But if it's pounds, then that will cover most areas other than the pricey south east & central London etc.

Nobody minds you asking questions, but you have essentially been asking the same question for a few years now, in lots of different threads, and I'm really not sure what else people can add if you're not prepared to visit to narrow down areas yourself. Lots of people have taken so much time to help you already, there's little that can be added to that. Asking about the whole of England and Scotland is just so vague, if you can do a bit of research yourself and narrow it down to a more specific area (even just a county) it would help people give you more tailored advice. Rightmove and Google Streetview should help with that. From the info you've given in your first post, and the budget you've given, I think that probably 85% of the country would give you what you're after, it's so hard to give more specific suggestions to you.

You had planned to move in the next couple of weeks, but I assume that's not happening now? Don't overthink it, get a flight booked, dog transported and sort a short term rental in the area you think you may want to live in. You could still be here in the spring if you take that leap. Go for it!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 20th 2019 at 6:15 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. I may pm you later....thinking about your advice....
Old Mar 21st 2019, 10:13 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Wales can get stuffed then?
Old Mar 21st 2019, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

We live in N Yorkshire on the edge of the N York Moors National Park, and where we live is small but has doctors surgeries, supermarkets, cafes and excellent bus services to larger towns plus lots of open spaces to walk your dog. When we moved in 2016 we rented a very nice 3 bed bungalow with a good size garden for £750/month. From what I know the prices have not changed much.

Good luck wherever you decide to move.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 2:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Wales can get stuffed then?
reading this while watching Masterchef, so I'm now wondering whether it would make a good skills test for the next series! What would you stuff your whale with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.