Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Best pint of Guinness in the District?

Best pint of Guinness in the District?

Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:53 pm
IPM
Forum Regular

IPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to allIPM is a name known to all
Default Best pint of Guinness in the District?

Advice urgently needed. Thanks.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best pint of Guinness in the District?

Originally Posted by IPM
Advice urgently needed. Thanks.
Yes.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 12:02 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

There are literally hundreds of fantastic stouts available in the US. Guinness isn't one of them. Bit like going to China and asking for Uncle Ben's.

Probably.

Never been to China.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

PaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant future

Good luck! All the Guinness I have found here is WAY too cold. Pity, as it completely ruins the flavour.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
There are literally hundreds of fantastic stouts available in the US. Guinness isn't one of them. Bit like going to China and asking for Uncle Ben's.
Agreed. As someone who knows their beers do you have any recommendations for stouts in MA Tonrob?. I quite like the Wachusett Milk Stout but it's hard to get hold of atm as they have only just started to roll it out. I'm sure there is a lot better out there.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 2:51 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Agreed. As someone who knows their beers do you have any recommendations for stouts in MA Tonrob?. I quite like the Wachusett Milk Stout but it's hard to get hold of atm as they have only just started to roll it out. I'm sure there is a lot better out there.
Just come back from a beery weekend in NYC, so going to cast the net a little wider and list a few of my general northeast favorites at the moment:

Dogfish Head Chicory Stout (DE)
High and Mighty Two Headed Beast (MA)
Sebago Lake Trout Stout (ME)
Captain Lawrence Espresso Stout (NY)
Sixpoint Diesel (NY)
John Harvard's Espresso Stout (MA)
Le Cheval Blanc Noire (QC)

Don't get me started on the porters...

While we're on the subject of dark beer - gotta do a big shout out to Alex Hall, a guy from Brighton who moved to Brooklyn a few years back and is now a self-styled cask ale activist in and around NYC. (If you see a beer engine on a bar in the city then chances are he was instrumental to some degree in putting it there). He's just co-founded the Wandering Star brewery, located in Pitsfield, MA - I sampled a cask mild of theirs' in Brooklyn at the weekend and it was absolutely superb.

Afterthought: Just checked out Beeradvocate, and they list 746 American Stouts and no fewer than 1,144 American Porters! Better get my drinking trousers on....

Last edited by tonrob; Mar 17th 2011 at 2:55 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

velkyal is an unknown quantity at this point

Just come back from a beery weekend in NYC, so going to cast the net a little wider and list a few of my general northeast favorites at the moment:

Sixpoint Diesel (NY)

While we're on the subject of dark beer - gotta do a big shout out to Alex Hall, a guy from Brighton who moved to Brooklyn a few years back and is now a self-styled cask ale activist in and around NYC. (If you see a beer engine on a bar in the city then chances are he was instrumental to some degree in putting it there). He's just co-founded the Wandering Star brewery, located in Pitsfield, MA - I sampled a cask mild of theirs' in Brooklyn at the weekend and it was absolutely superb.

Afterthought: Just checked out Beeradvocate, and they list 746 American Stouts and no fewer than 1,144 American Porters! Better get my drinking trousers on....
And the most award winning Dry Irish Stout in the US is made not 15 miles from my flat - Starr Hill Dark Starr, and damned fine it is too.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Sixpoint Diesel (NY)
Cracking, thanks

Now just need to find a better liquor store.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I had a very nice beer the other day, I think it was called a Left Hand Milk Stout. I think it's from Colorado.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

velkyal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I had a very nice beer the other day, I think it was called a Left Hand Milk Stout. I think it's from Colorado.
that is a lovely beer for sure! Had it on cask here and it was heaven in a glass.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

BHAFC14 is on a distinguished road

Sixpoint Diesel (NY)

Alex is one of the founders of Glastonwick – a celebration of beer, music and poetry held every year in Coombes, West Sussex during June. I went to it when it used to be held at Shoreham Airport and it was a wonderful day out.

I had a beer with him a while ago at the Rattle N Hum in NYC which I believe is still one of his favourite haunts. Hope that Wandering Star is a success – he deserves it.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 12:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And if you want a half decent, cheap pint, Trader Joes have some nice pint bottles for $2.50 stout and ale aren't half bad.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 12:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Cracking, thanks

Now just need to find a better liquor store.
Shouldn't be hard to find Sebago stuff, it's around a lot and not bad.

Quite a lot of decent brews from up in Maine. Gritty's also do a lovely stout, not seen it sold all that much out of Maine though, but if you find it, so far not found a bad style they've done.

The Lobster ale is also a nice one to check out
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:03 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Sounds like the result of erm, ok!
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:05 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I think if you really MUST have something from England or the UK, Samuel Smiths travel really well, the Taddy-Porter is nice for one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.