Best options available

Old Oct 7th 2013, 5:25 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best options available

contact your local age concern folks in your town http://www.ageuk.org.uk/about-us/local-partners/ & speak to one of their friendly advisers & tell them what you've told us. It is my understanding that your mother will not have to complete the qualifying habitual residence test (six months) to qualify for housing. Sheltered housing with a warden is likely best for her & local councils have these available especially when someone is elder & in need of care.

I do think from her immediate return to the UK she will need to stay with one her children for a short period till a place is found for her.

Other option is a private landlord rental - then she will claim housing allowance (rent paid for)

Give it a try

Last edited by not2old; Oct 7th 2013 at 5:28 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigead
People. I am not looking to shaft the system. My mother and farther both worked all thier lives in the UK untill they retired. They paid tax and all thier stamps. I am just trying now to find out what an old lady who worked all her life is entitled to to make her final years more comfortable. I know it won't be free and my sister and I will both help out as much as we can but neither are super rich and have bills of our own to pay.
..... so, since she has to rent somewhere, contact your local council to find out what elderly/sheltered accommodation they have and whether they have any currently available suitable for her (there usually is a waiting list for such accommodation).

- Contact Age Concern to find out what accommodation they can offer.

- Contact private sheltered accommodation places to find out rental costs and whether as a family you could afford to pay the costs.

- Look around for private rental housing.

At the end of the day if she/and the family cannot afford accommodation in the UK for her, it might be better to stay in Ireland. You can always visit her.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Not very helpful! She's an old lady who's had her independance for a long time. She wants her own space! Do you not think this has been offered??!!!!

Reall...............
People. I am not looking to shaft the system. My mother and farther both worked all thier lives in the UK untill they retired. They paid tax and all thier stamps. I am just trying now to find out what an old lady who worked all her life is entitled to to make her final years more comfortable. I know it won't be free and my sister and I will both help out as much as we can but neither are super rich and have bills of our own to pay.
It honestly did not occur to me that you had asked her to move in with you, as initially you did not mention that you had.
We have seen other examples on this forum of people trying to palm off their elderly relative on the system and I had a pretty strong knee jerk reaction. Obviously I was wrong about your situation and I apologize for that.

I wonder if you could persuade mum to come for a "visit" and perhaps if all goes well, she settles in and enjoys being around you and her grandchildren, she might not want to leave after all?
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larrabee
So move her in with either yourself or your sister.
Originally Posted by larrabee
No need to be rude. I am not a mind reader.
'Rude' is subjective isn't it? Your first response was blunt, and got a matching reply!

Originally Posted by michali
Larrabee's response was a sensible solution to the problem but, as you say, she does not want to live with her children. Could you all get together and pay rent for her in a small place close to you? I am not sure what benefits she would be entitled to so maybe others here could advise on that.
Possibly. Sensible solution. Not sensibly put.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What happened to your grandmother's house? Was your mother not paying rent, or did she not own that?
Yes. Agreed, I did wonder this also. It's a fair question.

Bigead: approach the relevant Council and get on their waiting list. Their application form will allow you to put what extenuating circumstances you feel will enhance her assessment for any priority.
Also approach not for profit social landlords in the applicable area and do the same thing.

Private retirement rentals are more expensive, but she would stand a far greater chance of getting one of these.
Dependent on financial circumstances, you will need to approach the relevant Council for Housing Benefit allowance to assist with that rent as has been said.

The pressure on the 'social' system is so high that unless her circumstances are utterly dire, it is more than likely that the wait will be some time.

Good luck to you.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

Alternatively, call the Citizens Advice Bureau and explain the situation. They should be able to either answer questions or tell you who to call.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you are. In some places there is housing available. In others - not much chance. Where I am on my Scottish island, you could get Social Hosuing tomorrow because of population loss. In English cities - more diffikcult. Finding accommodation is the key. Once that is done, she should get housing benefit.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Bigead is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by not2old
contact your local age concern folks in your town http://www.ageuk.org.uk/about-us/local-partners/ & speak to one of their friendly advisers & tell them what you've told us. It is my understanding that your mother will not have to complete the qualifying habitual residence test (six months) to qualify for housing. Sheltered housing with a warden is likely best for her & local councils have these available especially when someone is elder & in need of care.

I do think from her immediate return to the UK she will need to stay with one her children for a short period till a place is found for her.

Other option is a private landlord rental - then she will claim housing allowance (rent paid for)

Give it a try
Thanks. Sounds like good advice.