Best options available

Old Oct 7th 2013, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Bigead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best options available

HI, does anyone know the best option available for my mother?
My mother and father moved to Ireland 15 years ago to retire to my father’s family village. They lived in my grandmother’s house but after recently losing my father my mother wants to move back to the UK to be close to my sister and me. She is a UK citizen but has no major capital in the form of a property or savings. She is now 70 and her health is not great and I know she’d like to live out her final years here in the UK near her children and grandchildren but with no assets to sell and little savings hasn’t enough money to buy a property.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Best options available

Originally Posted by Bigead
HI, does anyone know the best option available for my mother?
My mother and father moved to Ireland 15 years ago to retire to my father’s family village. They lived in my grandmother’s house but after recently losing my father my mother wants to move back to the UK to be close to my sister and me. She is a UK citizen but has no major capital in the form of a property or savings. She is now 70 and her health is not great and I know she’d like to live out her final years here in the UK near her children and grandchildren but with no assets to sell and little savings hasn’t enough money to buy a property.
So move her in with either yourself or your sister.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by larrabee
So move her in with either yourself or your sister.
Not very helpful! She's an old lady who's had her independance for a long time. She wants her own space! Do you not think this has been offered??!!!!

Reall...............
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light

Not very helpful! She's an old lady who's had her independance for a long time. She wants her own space! Do you not think this has been offered??!!!!

Reall...............
No need to be rude. I am not a mind reader.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe contact the local council and see if she is eligible for elder housing benefits to help pay her rent. They will be able to tell you what benefits are available to her and what she needs to qualify.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by larrabee
No need to be rude. I am not a mind reader.
I would of thought you wouldn't have to be a mind reader.

Seriously..............
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Larrabee's response was a sensible solution to the problem but, as you say, she does not want to live with her children. Could you all get together and pay rent for her in a small place close to you? I am not sure what benefits she would be entitled to so maybe others here could advise on that.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
Maybe contact the local council and see if she is eligible for elder housing benefits to help pay her rent. They will be able to tell you what benefits are available to her and what she needs to qualify.
That will be my next step but was just doing a little research first as I'm always weary of councils and that if you don't ask the exact right question you won't get a full answer.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

That will be my next step but was just doing a little research first as I'm always weary of councils and that if you don't ask the exact right question you won't get a full answer.
Have a play about here to get an idea of what might be available...

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
lgabriel73 thank you for your input which is sensible and helpful. The replies I am receiving so far only go to prove my point about asking the exact right question.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rebs
Have a play about here to get an idea of what might be available...

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/
Thank you. Slightly different for mum as she doesn't reside in the UK. She does get a UK pension though as she was working up until she moved away.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 3:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

What happened to your grandmother's house? Was your mother not paying rent, or did she not own that?
Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What happened to your grandmother's house? Was your mother not paying rent, or did she not own that?
It was owned by my grandmother and when she passed left to the children. Mum and dad remained there but it was not all theirs. House prices in Ireland are so low she'd be lucky to get 6 months rent out of her share if it was sold. It'll probably go to one of the grand children who still live over there.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

People. I am not looking to shaft the system. My mother and farther both worked all thier lives in the UK untill they retired. They paid tax and all thier stamps. I am just trying now to find out what an old lady who worked all her life is entitled to to make her final years more comfortable. I know it won't be free and my sister and I will both help out as much as we can but neither are super rich and have bills of our own to pay.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 5:23 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

People. I am not looking to shaft the system. My mother and farther both worked all thier lives in the UK untill they retired. They paid tax and all thier stamps. I am just trying now to find out what an old lady who worked all her life is entitled to to make her final years more comfortable. I know it won't be free and my sister and I will both help out as much as we can but neither are super rich and have bills of our own to pay.
Some councils will provide sheltered housing for older adults in this situation. I think councils differ - I know of one person who was successful in a very similar situation (moved back to the UK from many years overseas).

I really think it's worth calling the council where she wants to live to ask the question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.