Reload this Page >

Best money transfer and UK credit card

Best money transfer and UK credit card

Old May 30th 2018, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Auswifey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best money transfer and UK credit card

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good international money transfer company they’ve used? ( AUD to GBP )
Any reviews on OFx, TorFX? Can’t use TransferWise due to their max limit.

Also, would I be able to apply for a credit card in the UK when I have no credit rating there?
Hubby has never had a CC there either but does have a UK bank account.
No issues in Australia with credit for both of us.

Cheers
Old May 30th 2018, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best money transfer and UK credit card

Originally Posted by Auswifey View Post
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good international money transfer company they’ve used? ( AUD to GBP )
Any reviews on OFx, TorFX? Can’t use TransferWise due to their max limit.

Also, would I be able to apply for a credit card in the UK when I have no credit rating there?
Hubby has never had a CC there either but does have a UK bank account.
No issues in Australia with credit for both of us.

Cheers
This might be helpful:
https://moneytransfercomparison.com/

I used TorFx some years ago for GBP to USD and their service was excellent. You call and can speak to a dealer and there is some scope for negotiation, especially on large amounts.
Old May 30th 2018, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Look at Transferwise its a UK company and is fast and provides very good foex rates.

As for the credit card.....no credit record makes it impossible anyone will provide one. Try the pre paid visa and mastercard.
Old May 30th 2018, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

When you open a bank account then you will be able to get a debit card.
Some banks/card providers have a basic credit card with a very low limit and very high interest rate but if you clear your
balance each month then the interest rate does not apply.
Old May 31st 2018, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I was able, with my existing UK bank account and no UK credit history, to get a credit card from my bank and add my wife so she had a credit card. Has your hubby been denied a credit card as well?
Old Jun 27th 2018, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

Janelle is an unknown quantity at this point

When we returned to UK 5 years ago, I added my husband (USC, never lived in UK) to a Halifax account that I had kept all the years I was living in the US. They gave us debit cards, but "the computer said no" to giving us a credit card. This was somewhat mortifying given that we have excellent credit in the US. About two years later I discovered that Capital One have a credit card for people with poor or no credit history. The limits are very low, but we make sure to use it every month and clear the balance before it is due, and the limits have slowly risen. It's still nothing like the credit limit we had in the US, but it helps to build up a credit history in the UK and is useful to have. I hope this helps.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 10:42 am
Just Joined

jessy_ko is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not use any bank but only private company like transferwise, skrill, but I found something new on the market conotoxia.com/money-transfer and now I have all transfers money without fee, because they have promotion the end of July. You can try.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janelle View Post
When we returned to UK 5 years ago, I added my husband (USC, never lived in UK) to a Halifax account that I had kept all the years I was living in the US. They gave us debit cards, but "the computer said no" to giving us a credit card. This was somewhat mortifying given that we have excellent credit in the US. About two years later I discovered that Capital One have a credit card for people with poor or no credit history. The limits are very low, but we make sure to use it every month and clear the balance before it is due, and the limits have slowly risen. It's still nothing like the credit limit we had in the US, but it helps to build up a credit history in the UK and is useful to have. I hope this helps.
If (and only if) you indeed have "excellent credit in the US" you might consider applying, in the UK, for an American Express card. Not exactly a credit card, but near enough for 99% of purposes.