Best decision ever!!

Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Best decision ever!!

Originally Posted by brits1
Your only telling the truth....if the truth hurts some people...well..thats life...agree on everything you have said.....just not brave enough myself to say it........................
Ithought I'd not come back to this forum, can't help myself!

Just because we're staying in Melbourne, doesn't mean I like everything here. I cannot agree with you more on those points Jojosan! I detest the advertising here, even the 6 o'clock news has way too much detail sometimes. My 10 yr old daughter was horrified when the newsreader was describing the torture and rape of a girl her age!

Another very annoying thing is the bloody old music in my local supermarket. S CLUB 7 never did it for me, and never will.
This country is WAY behind in the music scene. That's why Kylie et al all have to move over to the UK.

Anyway there are pro's and cons everywhere. It's just nice to bitch about what gets my goat sometimes.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flossy_1
Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the positive comments about the UK. I have heard so many negative reasons why not to move from Qld to UK. We have just sold our house with the intention of moving overseas but have now decided to move back to Hervey Bay Queensland where my family live for a while. The point about mozzies and other biting insects is very true. We are trying to find rental accomodation that will be away from insects because our 2 year old daughter comes up in welts. I am feeling uncertain about many things including the weather. We are moving from Toowoomba which has many cooler days to a place that gets very humid and sticky especially in summer. I hope that the move to the Uk does take place later in the year. I am disappointed that we are not going now but we were concerned that my husband who has British citizenship will have to move over for at least 4 months before the rest of us can secure our settlement visas. The cost for visas alone with be about $6000 as we have 4 children and myself to get them for. This fee is non refundable if we are declined not to mention the airfaire and living and setting up costs that my hubbie would need to spend to set up for us. He is an electrician and I am a newly trained teacher. I hear there is heaps of work for both of us. We would like to move to the Bristol area. Does anyone know about jobs. Is this move just a pipe dream? I am very frustrated and confused at the moment. I need a crystal ball to tell me my future.

Rach
Hi Rach - we're from the Bristol area and where we'll be returning. Try www.bristol-cyps.org.uk for teaching jobs in Bristol. Or tel 0117 9224027. My friend is a an NQT also, and the above site lists all vacant teaching posts.

You can get the eteach vacancy list emailed to you also.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

flossy_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jojosan
Hi Rach - we're from the Bristol area and where we'll be returning. Try www.bristol-cyps.org.uk for teaching jobs in Bristol. Or tel 0117 9224027. My friend is a an NQT also, and the above site lists all vacant teaching posts.

You can get the eteach vacancy list emailed to you also.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Jojosan

I will try those sites. I hope I did not go on too much but I am so sick of trying to make such big life decisions, especially ones that effect other family members also.

Are you moving back to Bristol?? If so when?
Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flossy_1
Thanks Jojosan

I will try those sites. I hope I did not go on too much but I am so sick of trying to make such big life decisions, especially ones that effect other family members also.

Are you moving back to Bristol?? If so when?

Yes we're going back to Bristol in August (unless I can somehow wangle an earlier return ) We haven't been here long enough (last Aug) to feel too entrenched yet; so just want my old life back. God, this whole malarky is such a learning experience: thought we'd done tons of homework, been here 3 times etc etc. Hey ho.

And no, you did not go on too much - sometimes its a bummer being the adult isn't it???

Hope all goes well with your plans.

Jo
Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by talbot
Yes, we do pay a bit extra for sports.
Seeing we don't pay council tax here, we don't mind forking out a bit here and there.

I reckon I'm on the wrong forum. I'm nae a "Returning Rover" so will obviously defend life here!!!!
Wait till you have childrein High School...both private and Government..My sons books for TEE subjects were over $500 and on top of his school fee's it's amazing....also school uniform has gone "up" school shorts are now $45.00 and his shir $35.00!!!!! I have two children in Government High Schools...had them in private....same teachers...same (ish) studies...just a hell of a lot more money.....AND just had my rates notice they will go up from $1450.00 to $1500.00......with children I find that here in Aus...your hand is never out of your pocket........and although our Doctors are fab (all from India oh no one is from England) and bulk billing....I still have to pay for my sons antibiotics which are not cheap.......................and their fees have just gone up for people like myself as they have now extended and bought in extra services so our fee's are now $45.00 instead of $36.00 and not so long ago it was all Bulked Billed..............those days are long gone.....and yes every sport my sos participate in have fee's....now we don't mind paying for these as Quoll says.....coaches etc have to be paid for..but it is the price rise that hits hard.....these things are not cheap......so less children in our current climate will do less sports....well something's got to give..........
Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

flossy_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes we're going back to Bristol in August (unless I can somehow wangle an earlier return ) We haven't been here long enough (last Aug) to feel too entrenched yet; so just want my old life back. God, this whole malarky is such a learning experience: thought we'd done tons of homework, been here 3 times etc etc. Hey ho.

And no, you did not go on too much - sometimes its a bummer being the adult isn't it???

Hope all goes well with your plans.

Jo
I am envious now as I would have really liked this move to be an overseas one. Oh well hopefully I can still organise it. People think we are crazy as we don't have family in the UK so would be going there because of the culture and experiences we can hopefully get. I am not chasing the grass is greener concept as we do have a nice life here. I just want to experience a different way of life. Please keep in touch as it would be lovely to know someone in Bristol if we get there.

Rach
Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mississippi
Not sure why everyone is returning to the UK, but our reason is because we have a 2 year old and a four year old and last July my OH's parents shouted us a holiday over to the UK for a month. On day two we just fell in love with the place - green grass, daylight savings, English pubs, English people, English humour - and the beautiful fields and buildings and history - and of course my OH's family and friends.

When we were visiting it was cool and a little damp and when people found out we were holidaying from Oz they apologised for the weather. We said - no way, we love the weather. It's great because in Brisbane it's too hot to go out during the summer so we stay indoors or do indoor activities. We actually came back with a little sun tan and that's just from being out and about, something we haven't done since we had our children. And don't get me started on the mozzies - can't go out at dusk or when it's rained and the little b#@(d#@s are everwhere and they love me and my two year old the best.

Another reason we are able to consider the move is because of the strength of the Australian dollar -it's almost 46p and also the cost of housing in Blighty is on the decline - so for us if we don't do it now, then it may be something we'll never get to do because of the cost.

Alas comments from UK family is "you're mad" etc, but it's not enough to deter us because nobody knows how dull Australia is - when you weren't born here - and although a lot of the postings here seem to be from Perth, the other coast isn't any more exciting - just as hot and wet and full of pests!

Can't wait until we eventually get to set foot back into the UK...it's the only thing keeping me going some days.
Excellent post...we were on holiday in the U.K lst March - May 07 and we had a wonderful time...we were building our new home in Perth at the time otherwise I think we would of just stayed...we came back to Perth and the comments we had when we arrived....well it shocked me just how much the U.K was being put down and mostly by people who had not been back in years or had never been to the U.K. It's not been an easy decision...but it was an all round yes by the family here....now we have started to let people know we are heading back home...some say the wished they had the "nerve"..some say we are mad...but you just have to go with your heart...and sometimes that might not be practical but practical is not always right.....good luck on your return....and as you said now is the best time with the strong $ dollar and a lowering of house prices in the U.K.....nothing at all against Aus...some really good times here...................just time for home........
Old Feb 17th 2008, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

mississippi is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with you about the great times in Oz, we've had many too, and have some wonderful Australian (and English) friends - but it's just not my cup of tea (or coffee). I'm from NZ and met my OH in England last century...we moved to Australia 6 years ago (from NZ), and honestly it just feels like we've been on a long "holiday". We don't regret moving here, but we've reached a time in our lives where we want to experience different things and we know Australia is no longer the place for us. If we never went to the UK last year, I imagine we'd still be in Australia (although in a cooler part as we are so over QLD).

So, we're not moving to the UK because we don't necessarily like Australia, we're moving because we think the UK is a great country and yes like every country it has it's problems, but it also has so many wonderful things about it and it certainly is far from dull (sorry Australians, but if you weren't born here, and aren't sport or beach mad - there's not a lot of things appealing to the rest of us).

And I would never tell someone not to come out, but would tell them to evaulate why they want to move here and to remind them that "the grass isn't always greener (or browner)".

I'm new to this forum and love it...a lot of what you guys have written has made me feel much more positive about our decision to move back, given that a few people think we're crazy!!!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mississippi
I agree with you about the great times in Oz, we've had many too, and have some wonderful Australian (and English) friends - but it's just not my cup of tea (or coffee). I'm from NZ and met my OH in England last century...we moved to Australia 6 years ago (from NZ), and honestly it just feels like we've been on a long "holiday". We don't regret moving here, but we've reached a time in our lives where we want to experience different things and we know Australia is no longer the place for us. If we never went to the UK last year, I imagine we'd still be in Australia (although in a cooler part as we are so over QLD).

So, we're not moving to the UK because we don't necessarily like Australia, we're moving because we think the UK is a great country and yes like every country it has it's problems, but it also has so many wonderful things about it and it certainly is far from dull (sorry Australians, but if you weren't born here, and aren't sport or beach mad - there's not a lot of things appealing to the rest of us).

And I would never tell someone not to come out, but would tell them to evaulate why they want to move here and to remind them that "the grass isn't always greener (or browner)".

I'm new to this forum and love it...a lot of what you guys have written has made me feel much more positive about our decision to move back, given that a few people think we're crazy!!!
Yes I thought the "yellow Van" was coming to take me away a few times.....but we know we are doing the right thing...just wished more people we knew here would be happy for us.....
Old Feb 17th 2008, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Yes I thought the "yellow Van" was coming to take me away a few times.....but we know we are doing the right thing...just wished more people we knew here would be happy for us.....
LOL Brits, I have been wondering about the little men in white coats coming to take me away - didnt know they had a yellow van though

Lots of folk here are really happy for you and very envious some of us are too!!!!

My DH's horoscope for this week was positive (he is a died in the wool skeptic!!!) that he would be able to give the person he loves the thing they desire most so I have told him it is his turn to go and buy the Tatts ticket - I have dibs on a thatched cottage in the South West with a few acres attached! Keep your fingers crossed for the Stars to do their bit!!!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quoll
LOL Brits, I have been wondering about the little men in white coats coming to take me away - didnt know they had a yellow van though

Lots of folk here are really happy for you and very envious some of us are too!!!!

My DH's horoscope for this week was positive (he is a died in the wool skeptic!!!) that he would be able to give the person he loves the thing they desire most so I have told him it is his turn to go and buy the Tatts ticket - I have dibs on a thatched cottage in the South West with a few acres attached! Keep your fingers crossed for the Stars to do their bit!!!

My fingers are crossed for you quoll!! I tried to give you some karma, but it wouldn't let me Very bossy these computer things....
Old Feb 17th 2008, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

My fingers are crossed for you quoll!! I tried to give you some karma, but it wouldn't let me Very bossy these computer things....
Aw thanks!!! I have always said that I would rather be lucky in love than lucky at gambling so I cant complain! DH is such a serious skeptic that if he did win something he probably wouldnt tell me because it would look too much like there might be some credibility in all the hocus pocus
Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Best decision ever!!

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
Tea dear Tea, it is Britain don't you know.
see! I've been brainwashed! Get me out of here!!