Reload this Page >

Benefits in the UK (London)

Benefits in the UK (London)

Old Feb 24th 2012, 9:22 am
Just Joined

markrod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Benefits in the UK (London)

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So there you go then. That's what you need to focus on with the job centre.

It became impossible for you to remain in the USA (no home, no job there) and you returned to a part of the UK where you had history and have family. Since being back you've applied for work at X, Y and Z and you've arranged transport (the loan of a bike) to help you with that.

Your work intentions are displayed by you being on the course.

Now while it might seem daft to tell the job centre you're on a course they arranged, that course may not have started at the time the decision was made and/or the person making it wouldn't necessarily have considered it anyway.

Some staff simply apply a qualifying period of actual residency. It's wrong, but some do it. Examples are in the other threads here.

Your appeal might have more chance of success if you focus on the bolded parts.

You probably feel that you've said this to them already, and you may well have done.

But, typically, people are often shocked by this decision and haven't realised the importance of getting the full story over, believing that being British overrides everything else. It doesn't, as you've now discovered.

So the decision may have been made on the original information - probably recorded on an enquiry form. You need to make sure all this extra stuff is recorded so they can reconsider it all.

Have you done anything else that someone re-establishing themselves would do? Opened or resurrected a UK bank account; registered with a doctor; signed on with an agency.

If so, get that across too.

Probably the best you can hope for is for them to change their minds based on this new information.

A compromise alternative is giving up on the claim you made, but making another one from a current date and they may accept you are "more" resident now than you were before, if you see what I mean. Better to lose the first few weeks than to lose out indefinitely.
i cant get a bank acout yet because my driving photocard got to be renew for change of adress which i have sent off for i am registered whith a doctor and i made copys of the of my email account shows i logon to jobwebsites and my copys of the courses that i am on and copys of jobs that i got a interview for next monday and a copy from a job asking me to fill out the app and send it back to them i got a a tb card from were i was staying in chicago in the homless shelter
Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:14 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

You said the difficulty you had with writing clearly on this thread, was caused by having to use your nephew's laptop. I have a suggestion. Join the Brighton library. They have free internet access: http://www.brighton.library.on.ca/computers.html
Old Feb 24th 2012, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Editha
You said the difficulty you had with writing clearly on this thread, was caused by having to use your nephew's laptop. I have a suggestion. Join the Brighton library. They have free internet access: http://www.brighton.library.on.ca/computers.html
the jobcentre said you have to pay to go on the net at the library I went
to the jobcentre to put in my appeal and the push bike I borrow to get around on I locked it up and went to get some shoes for the job interview someone nick the vike
Old Feb 24th 2012, 9:38 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markrod
to the jobcentre to put in my appeal and the push bike I borrow to get around on I locked it up and went to get some shoes for the job interview someone nick the vike
I'm very sorry, the link to "Brighton Library"on my last post was to a Brighton in Canada!

Here is the right link.. It does say that computer use is free, so the person in the job centre got it wrong.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 9:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

OMG bloody thieves you get a job very soon.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 10:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if they still do it but a few years ago the job centre were very happy to give a grant (to those eligible) for things like a bike if it helped with finding work.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry to hear about the bike MarkR-what rotten scumbags!

Btw; it seems to me that if you have been in a homeless shelter in Chicago you can cope with anything! You are making a good effort so keep going! Editha's tip about the library sounds great. Give it a go. Libraries can provide a lot of free resources, of at least they do here.

Again; sorry about the bike kiddo.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 8:47 am
Just Joined

MellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really nice

Hi markrod - you may want to check the council's job website out: https://ig5.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_Brigh...4.asp?newms=se. They've been advertising some of the summer jobs over the past few week. (My husbands has an interview to be a train driver on the Volks next week - I've seen jobs for the tennis courts/bowling grounds as well).
Old Feb 25th 2012, 7:31 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Ya know what? The longer I read this thread the more I think it's a wind up!!!Nobody pays at the library for the first hour on the Internet

Shoes for interviews??

Nicking your Vike??

Methinks you are having us on Mister Troll and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that you live in Australia.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 9:55 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Ya know what? The longer I read this thread the more I think it's a wind up!!!Nobody pays at the library for the first hour on the Internet

Shoes for interviews??

Nicking your Vike??

Methinks you are having us on Mister Troll and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that you live in Australia.
I wondered whether he was a troll as well, but if he is in Australia, then he has done a lot of research on claiming benefits in the UK.
Old Feb 25th 2012, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Well? MarkR? Yes or no?

It's such a cynical world now, has it reason to be?
Old Feb 26th 2012, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

The same thought crossed my mind...but his situation was so pathetic, I had to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'd almost rather he was a troll than be living that harsh reality, know what I mean?
Old Feb 26th 2012, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Montfan72
The same thought crossed my mind...but his situation was so pathetic, I had to give him the benefit of the doubt. I'd almost rather he was a troll than be living that harsh reality, know what I mean?
Yes I do.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MellD
Hi markrod - you may want to check the council's job website out: https://ig5.i-grasp.com/fe/tpl_Brigh...4.asp?newms=se. They've been advertising some of the summer jobs over the past few week. (My husbands has an interview to be a train driver on the Volks next week - I've seen jobs for the tennis courts/bowling grounds as well).
yes I no that's who I got a interview with cityclean for Brighton&hove council my bike got stolen at worthing on chapel road opposite tesco between 4pm-4.50pm I went to tesco then to 21 to by some shoes then I came back to find the bike was nicked or as the yanks say stolen I would not live in aus
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Editha
I wondered whether he was a troll as well, but if he is in Australia, then he has done a lot of research on claiming benefits in the UK.
you mind not taking the piss pal i have goldenharr symdrome and was born with one eye oki might not be a gooding looking bloke but i not a troll thankyou

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.