Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Benefits in the UK (London)

Benefits in the UK (London)

Old Dec 5th 2011, 5:12 am
Just Joined

MrBritUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Benefits in the UK (London)

Ok, So being as clueless as I can be about the UK having been away so long. I am wondering if I will be entitled to any benefits when I return next year. I have been living in the US now for 28 years and I am now 44 years old/young. My house here in the Silicon Valley is under water and I would like to call it a day here in the US. I plan on finding work as soon as I can like most people returning home. I don’t want to be on the dole forever. That is if I even qualify. I also have read in the many threads that people use the term benefits but do not state what kind of benefits one may be entitled to. So would it be unemployment benefits. Housing benefits and how much would it be. I would like to know what I am facing when returning home. First steps to take etc.

Thanks for reading
Old Dec 5th 2011, 8:40 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benefits in the UK (London)

Originally Posted by MrBritUSA
Ok, So being as clueless as I can be about the UK having been away so long. I am wondering if I will be entitled to any benefits when I return next year. I have been living in the US now for 28 years and I am now 44 years old/young. My house here in the Silicon Valley is under water and I would like to call it a day here in the US. I plan on finding work as soon as I can like most people returning home. I don’t want to be on the dole forever. That is if I even qualify. I also have read in the many threads that people use the term benefits but do not state what kind of benefits one may be entitled to. So would it be unemployment benefits. Housing benefits and how much would it be. I would like to know what I am facing when returning home. First steps to take etc.

Thanks for reading
Hi

Your post has had 60 views and no replies, so I don't think it is likely many people can answer your questions as we are all in different circumstances, I returned here 9 months ago after almost 30 years in Australia, so like me you will be on a HUGE learning curve.

You may find this the best site to help you with starting to do your homework.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/index.htm

Jobseekers Allowance is £65.00 per week for a single person, so don't start booking your trips to Paris just yet.

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 5th 2011 at 8:46 am.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Optimistic Pessimist is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for reading
Hi Mr BritUSA

Firstly Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) falls into 2 types. One is Contribution based and requires you to have paid sufficient UK national insurance for the previous 2 tax years. It is only paid for 6 months.

The 2nd type of JSA is means-tested (ie they look at your other income) If you have capital over a certain amount (think its £16,000) u will not qualify for this.

If you are over the UK retirement age, then Pension Credit may be available.

Housing and Council Tax Benefit are also means-tested and have the capital limits.

The benefits will also require you to meet the 'habitual residence test'. You may not meet this immediately on arrival.

Have a look at thes websites:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...rk/DG_10018757.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...y/benefits.htm

Hope that helps
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Also search this forum for thread titles about JSA and Habitual residence. There are quite a few of them and they have good information including pitfalls and successes.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 4:58 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimistic Pessimist

Firstly Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) falls into 2 types. One is Contribution based and requires you to have paid sufficient UK national insurance for the previous 2 tax years. It is only paid for 6 months.
Qualifying for Job Seekers allowance also depends on the Class of NI you have been paying. Class 2 voluntary NI payers are not eligible for job seekers allowance.
Old Dec 5th 2011, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Life for those of working age on any kind of out-of-work benefits in the UK is set to become a whole lot tougher within the next year or so.....Ian Duncan Smith, the Coalition Government (Conservative dominated) Work and Pensions Minister responsible for the administration and control of all welfare benefits, will soon be announcing all the new measures to be introduced by 2013.

This will incude the introduction of one single benefit to cover all out of work welfare payments of any kind - to be called the Universal Credit.

The conditions of entitlement will become much more stringently controlled and continued eligibility will depend on a variety of factors. One such may well include time limits of eligibility.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_191344
Old Dec 6th 2011, 12:36 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Life for those of working age on any kind of out-of-work benefits in the UK is set to become a whole lot tougher within the next year or so.....
I'm not so sure things will actually prove to be much tougher. Very few of the other "tough" changes over decades actually proved to be tough.

Some of the changes introduced in 1988 cut back some allowances for a few people, but those already benefiting continued to gain from them.

This will incude the introduction of one single benefit to cover all out of work welfare payments of any kind - to be called the Universal Credit.
Rather like until 1988 when a similar single welfare benefit applied to unemployed, sick, lone parents, pensioners, carers

The conditions of entitlement will become much more stringently controlled and continued eligibility will depend on a variety of factors. One such may well include time limits of eligibility.
It will take a tough government not to water down proposals by the time they hit the statute book. Thatcher didn't manage to be tough when it came to benefits legislation.

A new Enterprise Allowance will also be created to assist unemployed people starting to work for themselves.
That existed about 30 years ago too.

simplify the system, making it easier for people to understand, and easier and cheaper for staff to administer
Sadly, when they did that in 1988, simplification meant ending those fiddly, but useful, allowances for people who had real additional expenses for disabilities while giving extra allowances to people who didn't have such expenses.

improve work incentives
Bringing back the Unemployment Review Officer? Ooh, I'm coming over all nostalgic.

smooth the transitions into and out of work
Bringing back entitlement to cover until first wages and the cost of fares until then?

reduce in-work poverty
Ah. Now that might be a benefit cut.

I remember when nu-labour increased benefit allowances for kids by a lot. It gave an awful lot of people on low incomes something like an extra £30 a week per child whether they were on Income Support or in work and on Housing Benefit.

Of course, because this increased the number of people qualifying for low income benefits, poverty levels officially increased (what with there being more on benefits ) even though it meant families were much better off as a result.

So, in reverse, they could cut people's income to make them worse off but, Hey Presto, poverty levels go down.

cut back on fraud and error
So they're going to increase staff pay to encourage recruitment and retention so staff can gain the necessary experience to do the job well? That'll be the day.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Some in work benefits too, if they are income based i.e. Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits.

Much of the "continued eligibilty" has already started, along with other changes already in and a lot more changes to come, starting from next month.

If people take the time to read about Universal Credits, they may get a shock as it is the biggest overhaul since welfare payments began. All three political parties are supporting it.

Last edited by formula; Dec 6th 2011 at 8:05 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
If people take the time to read about Universal Credits, they may get a shock as it is the biggest overhaul since welfare payments began. All three political parties are supporting it.
I think you might find that there's more than 3 political parties represented in the House of Commons?
Old Jan 6th 2012, 12:13 am
Just Joined

alicet is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there - the big thing here is passing the habitual residence requirements - unfortunately no hard core guidance exists for what this means, but generally you have to show that you intend to stay here long term and that you have some connections/rationale for being here. Its a pretty tricky business best take advice from Citizens Advice Bureau and expect it not to be straightforward!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 9:49 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by alicet
Hi there - the big thing here is passing the habitual residence requirements - unfortunately no hard core guidance exists for what this means, but generally you have to show that you intend to stay here long term and that you have some connections/rationale for being here. Its a pretty tricky business best take advice from Citizens Advice Bureau and expect it not to be straightforward!
And the many threads about it I mentioned in post number 4

(sorry...don't mean that to sound sarcastic)
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 12:12 am
Just Joined

markrod is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for reading
good luck i moved to the usa in 2001 to 2012 i got back to england on 10th of jan sign on 18th of jan they said i was entittle for job seekers aollows i been waiting for a cheque to come in the post i phone they upon 16th of feb they said they not going to give me any money becaise i not been in england long enough i was born here my mum,brothers,sister,cousins,nephew,nieces,were born here live here i work for the council fro 1987-2001 payed taxes they said i pass the right to resdice in the uk but fail the habitual test but i can still sign on to job seekers aollows what a load of bullshit mybe if i just came over on the bannna boat i would get houseing jsa benfits the lot ithey decide it on the 6th of feb i have got no leeter about it i had to ring they up to ask for a letter they did not know a letter was not sent out

Last edited by markrod; Feb 22nd 2012 at 12:16 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 3:10 am
Oscar nominated

@markrod

I think I see why they ruled against you.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

markrod is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
@markrod

I think I see why they ruled against you.
whats that then
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

Id suggest the you appeal the decision, you are within your rights to do so and have nothing to lose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.