Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

From belgium to the uk!Rly need help !

From belgium to the uk!Rly need help !

Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all
Default Re: From belgium to the uk!Rly need help !

Originally Posted by kwazywabbit
You might want to look here before you say the are not SF http://www.specialoperations.com/For...n/2nd_Para.htm

Having served with the British Military and along side The French Foreign Legion. i can confirm they are some of the best soldiers i have met and fought with....

To Join the army you must be a Citizen of a Commonwealth country or those with British Overseas Territories Citizenship.
So if you meet those requirements and you want to join up i would recommend joining the paras as over 80% who make into the SAS come from this regiment.
Their is a 97% failure rate to join the SAS Regiment...
Nice post! Totally agree with the comments you posted, IMO the original poster is going to have an extreme uphill struggle fulfilling his dream.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

Originally Posted by garfield250
Nice post! Totally agree with the comments you posted, IMO the original poster is going to have an extreme uphill struggle fulfilling his dream.

Thanks.. I have met lots of wanna be's and a lot who struggled to even pass basic training.. It takes a certain individual to pass selection and get badged..
most folks who join don't even think about it until later on in there career..
Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kwazywabbit
Thanks.. I have met lots of wanna be's and a lot who struggled to even pass basic training.. It takes a certain individual to pass selection and get badged..
most folks who join don't even think about it until later on in there career..
The guy I knew back in the UK had served around 6 years with the D&D's before taking selection. He said that he never thought of applying until he was asked by his CO if he had ever considered it.
As I said in an earlier post he was a very quiet unassuming type of guy, but a hell of a nice guy.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:39 am
Just Joined

1clemp1 is an unknown quantity at this point

The guy I knew back in the UK had served around 6 years with the D&D's before taking selection. He said that he never thought of applying until he was asked by his CO if he had ever considered it.
As I said in an earlier post he was a very quiet unassuming type of guy, but a hell of a nice guy.
Guys i'know what you'r saying about its a hard passrate,
I passed actualy already everythng,
5Km run=22.49Minutes, (SAS rate is 24.5min)
Walked 55KM whit a total bagage of 60kilo, (SAS rate is 60km but whit 45kilo)
Fitness program isnt a problem for me,i fitness for already 4years,
Compass skils isnt a problem,Climbing skills neither,
I trained my whole life guys, im not a regular 1,
But i decided to join the DELTA FORCE, (They train whit the SAS 6times a year), Cause america got a crisis now,Green berets are recruiting REGULAR civilians, and the delta force is recruiting REGULAR ARMY SOLDIERS ,

I mean that those civilians and soldier may try to pass the qualification, so it's a good opportunity for me!(I hope it will be still like this in 2years)...

Greetings
David
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:21 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, according to the FFL website they are listed as an elite fighting unit due to the "espirit de corps" training due to the large number of overseas recruits within its ranks.
I`ve been reading some stuff about the Foriegn Legion and the "Morale Code" of honour that they have, is certainly just as important as the military training that they give out. I think the fact that anybody thats up to it can join, regardless of race, nationality, social class and educational level etc. The romance of the legion seems to come from the fact that men on the run used to go off to join them, men wanting to forget something etc whilst becoming part of what is an international very elite unit.

The legion is the stuff of legend and like most legends its built around certain almost mythical events. I read that one of the most legendary events of the Legion took place in Mexico in 1862, when a legion company that contained 62 soldiers was ambushed by some 2.000 revolutionaries!!! They fought almost until the last man, with not even a thought of surrender and down to the last round of ammunition! When finally out of ammunition the remaining few then decided to bayonet charge the enemy!!! Now when an elite fighting force is built up on legends like this, it is indeed very special. It kind of puts to shame the modern soldier, that spends his time complaining about not having the correct equipment for the right terrain etc.

I think the OP should consider himself lucky if he were to be accepted into the legion. It also has a large number of people in it from the ex-Soviet sates as well.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
I`ve been reading some stuff about the Foriegn Legion and the "Morale Code" of honour that they have, is certainly just as important as the military training that they give out. I think the fact that anybody thats up to it can join, regardless of race, nationality, social class and educational level etc. The romance of the legion seems to come from the fact that men on the run used to go off to join them, men wanting to forget something etc whilst becoming part of what is an international very elite unit.

The legion is the stuff of legend and like most legends its built around certain almost mythical events. I read that one of the most legendary events of the Legion took place in Mexico in 1862, when a legion company that contained 62 soldiers was ambushed by some 2.000 revolutionaries!!! They fought almost until the last man, with not even a thought of surrender and down to the last round of ammunition! When finally out of ammunition the remaining few then decided to bayonet charge the enemy!!! Now when an elite fighting force is built up on legends like this, it is indeed very special. It kind of puts to shame the modern soldier, that spends his time complaining about not having the correct equipment for the right terrain etc.

I think the OP should consider himself lucky if he were to be accepted into the legion. It also has a large number of people in it from the ex-Soviet sates as well.
No military background myself, but wanted to stick my head above the parapet.........

I can't quite understand why the OP isn't considering the FFL - certainly easier to join than the other elite forces he has talked about, and he won't get a more rigorous training.
I used to think the FFL was all mystique and men on the run etc, but I've learnt far more recently and its a fascinating history. However, what I really wanted to do here was to agree with your comment about the Code of Honour. It runs so strongly through their lives in and after the Legion; having a wonderful close friend who spent many years in the Legion, the one thing that stands out about him is his complete loyalty and comradeship. Would do anything for true friends, support them to the end, and would never go back on his word; would never leave them in trouble or in a dodgy situation, een if he isn't comfortable being there himself. Very unusual to find these days, the whole idea of blood-brothers and never leaving your wingman is often talked about within the Forces, but to see it practised afterwards on civilian life is far rarer. Trying to live up to the ideals isn't always easy for the friends, but I do try
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

1clemp1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No military background myself, but wanted to stick my head above the parapet.........

I can't quite understand why the OP isn't considering the FFL - certainly easier to join than the other elite forces he has talked about, and he won't get a more rigorous training.
I used to think the FFL was all mystique and men on the run etc, but I've learnt far more recently and its a fascinating history. However, what I really wanted to do here was to agree with your comment about the Code of Honour. It runs so strongly through their lives in and after the Legion; having a wonderful close friend who spent many years in the Legion, the one thing that stands out about him is his complete loyalty and comradeship. Would do anything for true friends, support them to the end, and would never go back on his word; would never leave them in trouble or in a dodgy situation, een if he isn't comfortable being there himself. Very unusual to find these days, the whole idea of blood-brothers and never leaving your wingman is often talked about within the Forces, but to see it practised afterwards on civilian life is far rarer. Trying to live up to the ideals isn't always easy for the friends, but I do try
There is a differents between elite, and super soldiers ...
Heard about russian GRU ? Top secret force killed 150soldiers whit 8man,whitout any dead soldier... FFL has a great code of honour, but... they are elite,not super ... Look at tchesjiene vs russia, those 150soldiers where like the FFL, people form the whole world fighted until the last man versus russia ... They were elite, But the gru Are super Highly trained soldiers,People say's that a bullet can't kill them, Thats what an SF is!And i want to be like that, Look at the delta force they got an underground base hell k'nows where, they only now its in the SOPS FORT, But yeh ,

Anyway guys! Thx for the information!
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:11 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1clemp1
Heard about russian GRU ? Top secret force killed 150soldiers whit 8man,whitout any dead soldier... FFL has a great code of honour, but... they are elite,not super ... Look at tchesjiene vs russia, those 150soldiers where like the FFL, people form the whole world fighted until the last man versus russia ... They were elite, But the gru Are super Highly trained soldiers,People say's that a bullet can't kill them, Thats what an SF is!And i want to be like that, Look at the delta force they got an underground base hell k'nows where, they only now its in the SOPS FORT, But yeh ,

Maybe you should go to a MOD recruiting office first, that may bring you down to earth a bit. You're getting a bit ahead of yourself here. Special forces are not easy to get into, it is more than how fast and far you can run. They have the pick of the crop and there are a lot more evaluations to go through than just the physical, attitude plays a big role. They are not looking for super heroes. Whether you think you are qualified or not does not mean you will be accepted. They can choose the best of the best.

Few if any special forces will ever talk about or tell you what they do, least of all talk about their exploits. The UK special forces don't go around to see how many they can shoot without being shot. It's not quite as gung ho and romantic as you may think.

So, if you got into the British armed forces, spent some time there, did not get accepted into the air service, what's plan B? I would suggest you have a long talk with a recruiter.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 1clemp1

Special Force personnel are picked because they have displayed mental and physical attributes that set them apart from other service personnel. It is not about physical prowess alone.
From the content of your post it would appear that you are somewhat gung ho and indeed more of a maverick.
The Special/Elite Forces do not seek glory they do a job which for the most part receives no accolades or recognition.
Being in an Elite or Special Forces unit is not the be all and end all, serving in any unit in a countries military brings its rewards, why not be satified in joing the military rather than look at being "the one that won the war single handedly" It seems a rather idealistic attitude.