Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Been a while, but I'm home...

Been a while, but I'm home...

Old Apr 3rd 2012, 3:06 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Been a while, but I'm home...

Not sure if any of the old posters are still around but..

After living in Georgia for a while and then cross country to Texas, my wife and I are back in the UK. After the economy went crazy in the States and I was laid off, we stuck it out as long as we could but eventually enough was enough.

I flew back to the UK in February 2011 and began looking for work. Didn't take long but it was a while before we could get the wife's Visa sorted but she landed safe and sound on New Year's Day this year. We got the acceptance notice on the 23rd December so it was a nice xmas gift as well as a bang up way to start the New Year. Was rough going being apart for so long but we made it through.

We're both in full time work now and just moving into our own rental place tomorrow after crashing with family and friends.

Took a while for me to readjust to England, felt like a model village with all the small toy cars but all seems okay now. I miss my creature comforts in the States but we firmly believe this was the right move.

Wife is enjoying it here and loves the free health care and over the counter meds that deal with her migraines. Everything is perfect once more.

We both still have a soft spot for Texas and I would have loved to have stayed there if possible, but circumstances changed. Maybe one day we'll head back there, who knows what the future holds.

The important thing is that we have our sanity again after a rough couple of years and a bit of extra cash in our pockets (except when we fill the car ).

To our old friends here, we hope you are all well. This forum was a great place for me to deal with my home sickness while I was out in the US and many of you got we through those dark times.

But now, time to start another chapter in life's great story.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 11:01 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been a while, but I'm home...

Originally Posted by rincewind

After living in Georgia for a while and then cross country to Texas, my wife and I are back in the UK. After the economy went crazy in the States and I was laid off, we stuck it out as long as we could but eventually enough was enough.

I flew back to the UK in February 2011 and began looking for work. Didn't take long but it was a while before we could get the wife's Visa sorted but she landed safe and sound on New Year's Day this year. We got the acceptance notice on the 23rd December so it was a nice xmas gift as well as a bang up way to start the New Year. Was rough going being apart for so long but we made it through.

We're both in full time work now and just moving into our own rental place tomorrow after crashing with family and friends.

Took a while for me to readjust to England, felt like a model village with all the small toy cars but all seems okay now. I miss my creature comforts in the States but we firmly believe this was the right move.

Wife is enjoying it here and loves the free health care and over the counter meds that deal with her migraines. Everything is perfect once more.

We both still have a soft spot for Texas and I would have loved to have stayed there if possible, but circumstances changed. Maybe one day we'll head back there, who knows what the future holds.

The important thing is that we have our sanity again after a rough couple of years and a bit of extra cash in our pockets (except when we fill the car ).

To our old friends here, we hope you are all well. This forum was a great place for me to deal with my home sickness while I was out in the US and many of you got we through those dark times.

What a great thread, glad everything is working out for you, must have been so hard being away from each other for so long but you made it!
I'm 6 months away from coming home and, like you, I've found this forum helps no end. I really enjoyed reading your story, all the best for the future and thanks for sharing

Last edited by MissBetty; Apr 3rd 2012 at 11:08 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I am still around, glad things are working out well for you.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

A lovely post. I hope life keeps getting better and better for you!
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I see that you are living in Farnham, Surrey.

I used to live in Guildford, and travelled the Hogsback each morning to work in Newbury.

Is "The Bush Hotel" still THE hotel in Farnham?
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 11:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Well hello!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 6:55 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I am still around, glad things are working out well for you.
Hi Sally, hope all is well with you. We didn't sleep much last night, too excited about moving today, lol
Old Apr 4th 2012, 6:56 am
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I see that you are living in Farnham, Surrey.

I used to live in Guildford, and travelled the Hogsback each morning to work in Newbury.

Is "The Bush Hotel" still THE hotel in Farnham?
Bush is there as is the Hog's Back Hotel although that's a Ramada place now.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 3:19 pm
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

Ooooh! Congratulations! I love to read these posts about people being nice and settled back in the UK! It give hope to all of us waiting to go back!

I currently live in Georgia myself, and while I *like* it here, it doesn't come close to blocking the call of England!

Also- LOVE your username, I'm a HUGE Pratchett fan!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 12:24 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey been ages hasn't it?
I'm still homesick, still got an unquiet mind about where I should be living my life...but not quite as submerged in homesick-depression as I was the first three years here.
Nice to have an update on you and the mrs
Old Apr 11th 2012, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

nice to hear a happy story. I am also moving back May 1st. I am scared, nervous, excited a whole bundle of emotions. Hoping I am able to make ends meet. I don't plan on owning a car, my sister says transporation in Elgin Scotland is good. That's one less expense, petrol, road tax etc and am looking forward not to having lots of medical expenses and prescription costs. I also suffer migranes and that medicine is not cheap. Looking forward to being able to walk to the shops and being around family.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 8:43 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind

Hello stranger,

It's so nice to see you. Had no idea you had moved back, but so pleased that things are going well for you.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 4:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I was just wondering how things were going the other day, glad things are going well!