Been home 5 weeks now

Old Jul 17th 2011, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

bigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to all
Default Re: Been home 5 weeks now

I never paid any NI contributions while in America. I just paid the social security for the states. Never knew you could pay to Britain while abroad. I got approved for income based benefits.

I went to America at 24 and came back now at 28. To be honest, never really bothered to learn about laws or certain things to do with returning. Came home and went straight to the benefits place and had to prove i was home for good, 3 weeks later got approved for all the benefits we applied for and just waiting on the child benefit coming back now. Had no real bother with anything.
It is like we never left. Still registered at my own doctors etc etc. Just fell back into normal life. I never knew there was all this ordeal with benefits till reading this site.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:32 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigmattE
What do you mean by implication's in the future for my children?
I am British so they hold dual citizenship. I am unaware of any implication's. Have we overlooked something?
I was thinking of the financial, taxation and selective service issues when they get older. It's a long way off, but they will need to comply with US tax and financial regulations. This might become an issue earlier if they ever have UK bank or saving accounts that go over $10k, say if they are saving for university.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

bigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to allbigmattE is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nun
I was thinking of the financial, taxation and selective service issues when they get older. It's a long way off, but they will need to comply with US tax and financial regulations. This might become an issue earlier if they ever have UK bank or saving accounts that go over $10k, say if they are saving for university.
They would have to pay the US Government even if they never ever live there, ever in their life?
Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
Nice to see how quickly you can start claiming benefits in the UK.
Yes, makes me understand a little more why they didnt like the US!!!
Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:57 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

They would have to pay the US Government even if they never ever live there, ever in their life?
Yes, as they were born in the US they are automatically US citizens. This has some positives if they ever want to live and work in America, but if the live outside the US is makes taxes and finances more complex. Its actually rare to have to pay the US anything as there are allowances and credits for UK tax paid, but owning UK based unit trusts, ISAs and UK pensions all become difficult. Also the US citizen has to report foreign accounts over $10k so it can become a paperwork nightmare and if you get it wrong there a stiff fines.

Last edited by nun; Jul 17th 2011 at 7:00 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 7:38 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Yes, makes me understand a little more why they didnt like the US!!!
Nevemind

Last edited by rebeccajo; Jul 17th 2011 at 7:41 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
It's a good thing you are coming back here. You'll fit right in with the rest of the rude citizenry.
How is that rude.?? just a different way of thinking....if you wanted the govenment to take care of you, you should never have gone to the US to begin with..to be happy to come back to get on benefits..weird!!
Sounds to me like you are the rude one...kind of the Pot, Kettle thing
Old Jul 17th 2011, 8:23 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

How is that rude.?? just a different way of thinking....if you wanted the govenment to take care of you, you should never have gone to the US to begin with..to be happy to come back to get on benefits..weird!!
Sounds to me like you are the rude one...kind of the Pot, Kettle thing

You're right. I was just as rude as you.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

hhmm ok

I actually served in the US Army as a British citizen and after my medical discharge they did nothing to correct my severe spinal injuries from my service as i was not a citizen. So the British NHS is actually there to help. Oh and I am disabled from the military and not able to work for probably another few years and that is why I am getting any benefits. Think that's why it is there in the first place, to help people.

Go fly the US flag and think about the men and women who have died for that flag and the one's left with permanent disabilities from serving to protect your right to live under that flag.

Typical pig ignorant yank attitude. Learn facts before speaking.

Last edited by bigmattE; Jul 17th 2011 at 8:34 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

hhmm ok

I actually served in the US Army as a British citizen and after my medical discharge they did nothing to correct my severe spinal injuries from my service as i was not a citizen. So the British NHS is actually there to help. Oh and I am disabled from the military and not able to work for probably another few years and that is why I am getting any benefits. Think that's why it is there in the first place, to help people.

Go fly the US flag and think about the men and women who have died for that flag and the one's left with permanent disabilities from serving to protect your right to live under that flag

Typical pig ignorant yank attitude. Learn facts before speaking.

I apologize...
Old Jul 17th 2011, 8:54 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

hhmm ok

NHS is one of the few great things about Great Britain. As every resident gets it it's a bit different from benefits like job seekers allowance etc. Most people on benefits need them because they are old, infirm or in circumstances that prevent them from working. I can't praise the OP for his service as I believe many of the recent US and UK military adventures have been either illegal and or immoral, but he's someone in need and that's the criterion for getting help so he deserves it. Most people on benefits are like the OP and are not the "benefit cheats" of Daily Mail. When I come back getting on the NHS will be the first thing I do and I'll find out about other benefits if they are applicable, particularly in getting me a job or volunteer position as I've never worked in the UK

Last edited by nun; Jul 17th 2011 at 8:57 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

NHS is such a huge help. Due to my non citizenship I was unable for the VA and due to the fact I am classed as disabled I am unable to work. So I was not able to receive any help at all in the USA that other soldiers would have gotten.
I could not get health insurance either due to pre-conditions and all my med's cost around $1,800 per month. Medical life was a major role in coming home. Been a very difficult year for us. Being home, things are so much better and getting better. I am able to complete my degree while going through my medical operations and physical therapy etc.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:10 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

How is that rude.?? just a different way of thinking....if you wanted the govenment to take care of you, you should never have gone to the US to begin with
I think 'wanted the government to take care of you' is a little harsh.

What you have to understand is that most of us had no idea when we emigrated that the US was such a harsh culture and that a simple hand-up during hard times would be seen as 'wanting the government to take care of you.' Most of us just don't see it that way - we think that a basic social safety net is a human right, not something to be sneered at.

I think it's a shame that so many Americans have been conned into hating the idea of a social safety net - especially as so many of them need it. The rich do well in America but I don't understand how they convinced ordinary folk that they should have to struggle to survive. Nice con job though!
Old Jul 17th 2011, 10:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

What you have to understand is that most of us had no idea when we emigrated that the US was such a harsh culture and that a simple hand-up during hard times would be seen as 'wanting the government to take care of you.' Most of us just don't see it that way - we think that a basic social safety net is a human right, not something to be sneered at.
Unfortunately a few Brits think that way too.

I think it's a shame that so many Americans have been conned into hating the idea of a social safety net - especially as so many of them need it. The rich do well in America but I don't understand how they convinced ordinary folk that they should have to struggle to survive. Nice con job though!
I think it's things like Sarah Palin talking about the NHS Death Panels.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:55 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Unfortunately a few Brits think that way too.
Yes, that's why I said 'most' - Daily Mail readers are excluded

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.