Been Home 4 Days

Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Barbara1133 is on a distinguished road
Default Been Home 4 Days

Well, after months of anticipation, nerves, and frantic activity, I'm finally home in London. Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to post my flight details on the website because I was so down to the wire as far as time was concerned I completely forgot.

I will say that I didn't give myself quite enough time to do this comfortably, and should have allowed at least 3 weeks after finishing work to get ready rather than 2 weeks. Still, after several small coronaries and racing around getting rid of furniture, clothes and all kinds of accumulated rubbish after the shippers had left with the few things I decided to keep, I'm finally here. I paid a small fortune in excess baggage on Air New Zealand, which made me angry considering that a couple of years ago most of it would have gone as free baggage allowance. Still, I'm home now.

I have a few leads on jobs from contacts at my last job in Los Angeles, and am hoping something will pan out. Otherwise, I'll keep plugging away until something clicks. I'm lucky in that I'm based in Central London. Even so, I have absolutely no regrets about leaving the USA and I don't miss L.A. one little bit. I know it's early days, but even now it feels completely normal for me to be back home.

Can't believe I'm finally here.

Old Aug 16th 2011, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been Home 4 Days

Good luck with the job hunting!

Never mind about the flight tracker - we do like to cheer people home but we can still cheer now!!! Hope it all goes brilliantly for you!
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Good luck with the job hunting!

Never mind about the flight tracker - we do like to cheer people home but we can still cheer now!!! Hope it all goes brilliantly for you!
Forgive my ignorance, but what is this flight tracker thing?

PS: Good luck with job hunting. Btw, what made you go back?
Old Aug 17th 2011, 1:37 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Flight tracker is in the Rovers return at the top, we can all track you heading home.

Good luck with the job hunt Barbara
Old Aug 18th 2011, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome news Barbara ( I will have to catch up and read your "story") well done and good luck with the Job search!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:22 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome home. We're out near Windsor, but get into Central London a fair bit as we love it.

What type of work do you do?
Old Sep 4th 2011, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Barbara1133 is on a distinguished road

I've been incredibly lucky. I found a job less than two weeks after moving home. I work as a legal secretary. I expected to look for several months before finding anything. I applied for a number of jobs online, and received calls from some agencies. One turned out to be a winner - they set me up with three interviews in one day, all with major US law firms in the City of London. I received callbacks for the next day with two, and offers at both. I took what I hope is the best offer, and start tomorrow. Needless to say, I'm nervous, but I've done this line of work for years so hopefully I will be okay!

I just want to say to anyone out there, if you're prepared to work, there are jobs. At least in London. I'm still getting calls about my CV, which is very comforting.

I feel no regret whatsoever about leaving L.A., and I think I've made the right choice.

Old Sep 5th 2011, 6:28 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barbara1133
I've been incredibly lucky. I found a job less than two weeks after moving home. I work as a legal secretary. I expected to look for several months before finding anything. I applied for a number of jobs online, and received calls from some agencies. One turned out to be a winner - they set me up with three interviews in one day, all with major US law firms in the City of London. I received callbacks for the next day with two, and offers at both. I took what I hope is the best offer, and start tomorrow. Needless to say, I'm nervous, but I've done this line of work for years so hopefully I will be okay!

I just want to say to anyone out there, if you're prepared to work, there are jobs. At least in London. I'm still getting calls about my CV, which is very comforting.

I feel no regret whatsoever about leaving L.A., and I think I've made the right choice.

WOWSER!!!! VERY well done and a big CONGRATS to you.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

alicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nicealicat26 is just really nice

Congratulations on the new job! It's good to hear that you still got calls about jobs after you got your job. I really am starting to believe that job-wise the US is far behind the UK right now in terms of job opportunities available.

Keep us posted
Old Sep 7th 2011, 11:22 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow is right! Congratulations!

I am a Legal Secretary as well. I didn't want to work in Central London, so concentrated my job search locally when we first moved back last year. I was actually offered (and accepted) a job with a law firm in Windsor about 4 weeks after we got here. I worked there half-a-day and quit. Loads of red flags at that place but it did prove to me that the Legal Secretarial market is strong.

I'm now working in the Principal's office at a university and am very, very happy.

We love London!

Have fun!
Old Sep 8th 2011, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations- I am so pleased to hear your news, have been reading your posts for months now!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:52 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Great going on the job front, is this a record lol?