Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

been back four weeks now....

been back four weeks now....

Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

andrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: been back four weeks now....

Originally Posted by Hayley

We have been looking into making the move sooner rather than later but having sat with the figures we would only be bringing back about 20 thous pounds :scared: not quite sure how far that would get us in rip off Britain But seriously that is a huge concern for us- we are torn between making the move and being poor or staying and being sad.
Hey Hayley, how its going? my wife and I faced a similar sort of decision....we haven't come back with a huge amount, enough for us to settle in and hopefully put down a deposit on a house as and when we get round to buying, but not much else.
its a tough call, this whole pay-off between money and happiness, but what eventually decided it for us was that we werent actually getting that much further ahead in vancouver anyway....why not move back home and 'struggle' there? I have no idea what situation you're in though.....its easy for me to say this now, but maybe if my wife and i were in a position to work another year or so and build up a bit of a nest-egg for the future, maybe we would have done so. as i say, i have no idea if thats the case for you or not....its a tough decision though, no doubt about it....
as to the baby/parent classes....yep, my wife and i were pleasantly surprised, both at the amount of stuff going on, and how easy it was to find out about. hope you figure out whats best for you....
Old Nov 20th 2006, 9:06 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewrob
Hey Hayley, how its going? my wife and I faced a similar sort of decision....we haven't come back with a huge amount, enough for us to settle in and hopefully put down a deposit on a house as and when we get round to buying, but not much else.
its a tough call, this whole pay-off between money and happiness, but what eventually decided it for us was that we werent actually getting that much further ahead in vancouver anyway....why not move back home and 'struggle' there? I have no idea what situation you're in though.....its easy for me to say this now, but maybe if my wife and i were in a position to work another year or so and build up a bit of a nest-egg for the future, maybe we would have done so. as i say, i have no idea if thats the case for you or not....its a tough decision though, no doubt about it....
as to the baby/parent classes....yep, my wife and i were pleasantly surprised, both at the amount of stuff going on, and how easy it was to find out about. hope you figure out whats best for you....
Thanks Andrewrob! this makes a lot of sense. We do feel like we are not getting ahead. I'd love to say that if we stay longer then we could build up more money but something always seems to come up (a sprinkler repair and a bill for my son's vaccinations this week made things hard- esp as these are not outgoings we would have in sprinkler free NHS Britain!)

Just that 20 thou seems so paltry- and house prices are going up in my area- perhaps by next summer the equity will have increased. just in a spin at the mo.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Andrewrob! this makes a lot of sense. We do feel like we are not getting ahead. I'd love to say that if we stay longer then we could build up more money but something always seems to come up (a sprinkler repair and a bill for my son's vaccinations this week made things hard- esp as these are not outgoings we would have in sprinkler free NHS Britain!)

Just that 20 thou seems so paltry- and house prices are going up in my area- perhaps by next summer the equity will have increased. just in a spin at the mo.
Just remember that Money doesn't buy happiness. I would rather be living simple but happy than rich and lonely.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 9:58 pm

Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Just remember that Money doesn't buy happiness. I would rather be living simple but happy than rich and lonely.
I'll remember that when I am living in my FIL's spare bedroom with hubs and my one year old!
All joking aside though- as del boy says "you know it makes sense!"
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

I can relate to everything in the last few posts. The exchange rate is so bad that we didn't get nearly as much for our dollars as we had hoped. We made a great amount on the equity from our US house but feel that a lot of it has disappeared, and it doesn't go very far in this housing market. I never could have imagined renting before but now that's what we plan to do and it doesn't bother me at all because I've come to realise that owning a house doesn't equal quality of life. We could buy a house in a run down town 60 miles away from my work and I wouldn't see my kids all week, or we can rent in a nice town and I can walk to work. It should have been a no brainer really. In the mean time, our equity will be earning interest so we'll be able to buy one day.

Yes, living in parents' spare rooms is hard! I'm in my old bedroom sitting at my old desk... feels like I'm 17 again!!!

Just an update on the job front... today was my first day and it went well. There was no traffic on the south side of the M25, I couldn't believe it! Took an hour to get there and an hour to get home, 40 miles each way. It took longer some days to get to my first job which was only 15 miles away, because it was towards London!
Old Nov 21st 2006, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Always21
I can relate to everything in the last few posts. The exchange rate is so bad that we didn't get nearly as much for our dollars as we had hoped. We made a great amount on the equity from our US house but feel that a lot of it has disappeared, and it doesn't go very far in this housing market. I never could have imagined renting before but now that's what we plan to do and it doesn't bother me at all because I've come to realise that owning a house doesn't equal quality of life. We could buy a house in a run down town 60 miles away from my work and I wouldn't see my kids all week, or we can rent in a nice town and I can walk to work. It should have been a no brainer really. In the mean time, our equity will be earning interest so we'll be able to buy one day.

Yes, living in parents' spare rooms is hard! I'm in my old bedroom sitting at my old desk... feels like I'm 17 again!!!

Just an update on the job front... today was my first day and it went well. There was no traffic on the south side of the M25, I couldn't believe it! Took an hour to get there and an hour to get home, 40 miles each way. It took longer some days to get to my first job which was only 15 miles away, because it was towards London!
Good to hear first day went well! I am worried about renting because I've heard it costs more than a mortgage in the UK?

I posted in the US forum but might as well pick your brain too if you don't mind- apart form the Realtor commission what costs were involved in your US home sale?
Old Nov 21st 2006, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear first day went well! I am worried about renting because I've heard it costs more than a mortgage in the UK?

I posted in the US forum but might as well pick your brain too if you don't mind- apart form the Realtor commission what costs were involved in your US home sale?
renting is a lot cheaper than mortgage. I am not sure how people are covering their investment mortgages let alone make a profit, pay the agency, repairs etc
Old Nov 21st 2006, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
renting is a lot cheaper than mortgage. I am not sure how people are covering their investment mortgages let alone make a profit, pay the agency, repairs etc
Perhaps they just bought before the property price increases? Good to know it's not as much as looks like it's renting for me also.