Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

been back four weeks now....

been back four weeks now....

Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: been back four weeks now....

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Hey, sorry to hear you're having a crap day isn't it exhausting, all these feelings and turmoil going on inside? Just hold onto the knowledge you are going home soon, it'll all be over and you'll be back where you belong. Keep your chin up
Thanks Tracey that really means a lot.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:59 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
Sounds as though your really happy.
After reading the last two posts of people now back in the UK I cannot wait to go home.
I am particuarly low today and its so nice to hear that people have made it back and are starting over.
Good Luck may it continue to be good.
Hi there - just want to say sorry you are feeling a bit down today - it's strange how some days are worse than others isn't it? Some days you can cope, others you just feel like crap! Keep looking forward to the future and hopefully you'll be back home before too long - take care
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Louise it does not help when you are bored either.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Happy you're loving being home, I'm gonna have to stop coming into this forum 'cause I'm getting more and more homesick.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by andrewrob
...and all I can say is that I'm loving being back home. After all those years away, its the best feeling in the world being back where I belong. Of course I'm still in 'holiday mode', so to speak (I should be starting work next week). for anybody who remembers, i posted a little bit before, just before i was leaving canada to move home.
Here are few of the things that have really struck me since I've been back...
First off, we live in one of the beautiful, fascinating, historic countries in the world. pretty much anywhere you live, you can take a drive out and within 15 minutes hit some beautiful countryside, historic building, a great pub, idlyic village....its amazing how accesible it all is. we drove down today to Broadway, on the Worcs, Oxon border, and it was great..the village, with rows of golden-hued buildings, mooching round the shops, walks up into the hills surrounding it then a pint and a meal in the pub afterwards....there ain't nothing on earth can beat that. nothing.
our one year old daughter has been settling in just fine. its been easy to get info on the activities around for parents and babies. one of the big concerns my wife had was how much stuff there would be to do for her and our one year old daughter....playgroups, reading classes, swimming activites etc, particularly as we were moving to a small town (Droitwich in worcestershire, for those who know it). it was easy though..we took a trip down to the local community info centre on the high street, they called a telephone and the next day we got an extensive list of activites around the town for parents and children....very helpful.
its great being back somewhere that culturally you feel much more in tune with...the tv programs, radio, picking up the newspaper, whatever it is. Britain is a very vibrant place, lots of stuff going on. And also the great mass of people are friendly, decent people....its a bit rough around the edges at times, but there's a vibrancy to life here which is fantastic.
Being back amonst family is great too, of course. it was our daughters first birthday last weekend and we had a big get together to see everybody....it was good to see people, but also sad in a way, because it was a reminder of all the times that have been missed when i was away.
so life is very very good so far. I could ramble on a bit here, but you get the idea. its early days, and we'll see how jobs and work and the future unfold, hopefully for the best but the time away has really opened my eyes to my own country...not that I was unhappy when i moved away, or didn't love it anyway, but being overseas can really sharpen your appreciation of this damp little island. I'm not blind to some of the problems Britain faces, but nor am i blind to what a fundamentally great country it is either, a country i love very much and which i'm very glad to call my home again.
All the beat
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

...and all I can say is that I'm loving being back home. After all those years away, its the best feeling in the world being back where I belong. Of course I'm still in 'holiday mode', so to speak (I should be starting work next week). for anybody who remembers, i posted a little bit before, just before i was leaving canada to move home.
First off, we live in one of the beautiful, fascinating, historic countries in the world. pretty much anywhere you live, you can take a drive out and within 15 minutes hit some beautiful countryside, historic building, a great pub, idlyic village....its amazing how accesible it all is. we drove down today to Broadway, on the Worcs, Oxon border, and it was great..the village, with rows of golden-hued buildings, mooching round the shops, walks up into the hills surrounding it then a pint and a meal in the pub afterwards....there ain't nothing on earth can beat that. nothing.
our one year old daughter has been settling in just fine. its been easy to get info on the activities around for parents and babies. one of the big concerns my wife had was how much stuff there would be to do for her and our one year old daughter....playgroups, reading classes, swimming activites etc, particularly as we were moving to a small town (Droitwich in worcestershire, for those who know it). it was easy though..we took a trip down to the local community info centre on the high street, they called a telephone and the next day we got an extensive list of activites around the town for parents and children....very helpful.
its great being back somewhere that culturally you feel much more in tune with...the tv programs, radio, picking up the newspaper, whatever it is. Britain is a very vibrant place, lots of stuff going on. And also the great mass of people are friendly, decent people....its a bit rough around the edges at times, but there's a vibrancy to life here which is fantastic.
Being back amonst family is great too, of course. it was our daughters first birthday last weekend and we had a big get together to see everybody....it was good to see people, but also sad in a way, because it was a reminder of all the times that have been missed when i was away.
so life is very very good so far. I could ramble on a bit here, but you get the idea. its early days, and we'll see how jobs and work and the future unfold, hopefully for the best but the time away has really opened my eyes to my own country...not that I was unhappy when i moved away, or didn't love it anyway, but being overseas can really sharpen your appreciation of this damp little island. I'm not blind to some of the problems Britain faces, but nor am i blind to what a fundamentally great country it is either, a country i love very much and which i'm very glad to call my home again.
I know it's early days, but you sound sooooooooooo very HAPPY all the best for the future
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome home! I have been saying exactly the same thing since I've been back about how accessible everything is. The countryside is amazing; there are footpaths and bridleways everywhere and there are always other people enjoying it even when it's cold. I know the US had amazing countryside too but it just didn't seem to be as open. Also on the topic of accessibility, we went to a couple of exhibitions in London last week. We walked right into the Royal Institute of British Architects (which is not just a museum) and had to find the exhibit ourselves because nobody spoke to us... no security checks or anything! That just wouldn't happen in the US!

Why didn't we appreciate the idyllic little villages and the history before we left, eh? I went shopping in Guildford so many times growing up but never visited the castle which is just one block away from the high street! I have corrected that now.

Good luck with the job when you start. I've had one job which didn't work out since being back, but I start a new one tomorrow! 45 mile commute. :scared:
Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Couldnt have put it any better myself... Welcome home!
Old Nov 20th 2006, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to another happy returnee
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

so glad you are happy.
..another positive thread?
Thats so good to see
take care
c
Old Nov 20th 2006, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Its great to read that you are home and happy.

I keep reading of people who have gone back and feel very envious. More so when you bring things to our minds.

Its like eating chocolate reading your posts - it makes my mouth water. Lol

Dreamaway - Hold in there. We all have those gut wrenching days, and we all know how hellish they are. I have had days where I have been so low, that as soon as i got home, i went to bed as it was the best and the safest place to go.
I hope you have a better one tomorrow.

Whisky
Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:22 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

So glad you are happy and enjoying England. It's so nice to read of some happy folks back home again.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Always21]Welcome home! I have been saying exactly the same thing since I've been back about how accessible everything is. The countryside is amazing; there are footpaths and bridleways everywhere and there are always other people enjoying it even when it's cold. I know the US had amazing countryside too but it just didn't seem to be as open.
QUOTE]

I'll 3rd that,

yes the Uks countryside is VERY accessible and there within minutes , my experience in NZ and here in illinois USA is that the countryside isnt accessible, you have to drive for hours/miles to find somewhere and then check you are actually allowed there in the first place. I find the US is either a recreational park area where you are allowed to go (on the path with dog on leash) or a no go area, that is very limiting and does make you feel a bit stiffled. I visited Lancashire in May and with a friend bought some pies made some coffee and drove out in to the hills and just walked through farm and valley and had a pint or two, something that is just not done in the USA. Despite it being coola nd drizzly i found the whole thing so relaxing and totally the opposite to that which many people here call recreation.....going to the strip mall, by comparison heaven and hell!!

bugman.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

andrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Always21
Welcome home! I have been saying exactly the same thing since I've been back about how accessible everything is. The countryside is amazing; there are footpaths and bridleways everywhere and there are always other people enjoying it even when it's cold. I know the US had amazing countryside too but it just didn't seem to be as open. Also on the topic of accessibility, we went to a couple of exhibitions in London last week. We walked right into the Royal Institute of British Architects (which is not just a museum) and had to find the exhibit ourselves because nobody spoke to us... no security checks or anything! That just wouldn't happen in the US!

Why didn't we appreciate the idyllic little villages and the history before we left, eh? I went shopping in Guildford so many times growing up but never visited the castle which is just one block away from the high street! I have corrected that now.

Good luck with the job when you start. I've had one job which didn't work out since being back, but I start a new one tomorrow! 45 mile commute. :scared:
Thanks!!! good luck with the new job, hope you can settle into it. i start next week with Barnado's ...its actually a step down from what my previous position....the money is OK, not great (though its actually a little better on a strict pound-dollar comparison than my old job in vancouver) but it gets me working at least.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:09 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

so very pleased it's going great for you andrewrob- can't wait till I'm there.

My son is one in 2 weeks and it is great that you have found so much to do- you can't beat mum's and tots groups. I remember my maternity leave here and I didn't see a soul (my hubbie needed the car for work so that left me stranded) I had been worried that I would find a similar situation in Blighty- you've put some fears to rest

We have been looking into making the move sooner rather than later but having sat with the figures we would only be bringing back about 20 thous pounds :scared: not quite sure how far that would get us in rip off Britain But seriously that is a huge concern for us- we are torn between making the move and being poor or staying and being sad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.