Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Been back almost a month now

Been back almost a month now

Old Oct 27th 2011, 8:13 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been back almost a month now

we had our first flurries of snow here in Albrrrrta yesterday
Old Oct 28th 2011, 1:22 am
Just Joined

auchrermuchty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Welshie82 View Post
I totally agree. I just got back to Calgary after spending two weeks in England job hunting. As I was flying over Alberta and getting ready to land I looked out on the boring, drab, brown countryside and didn't feel any connection to it whatsoever. I asked myself the same things: "How could I have lived here so long? How can I have seen beauty in this boring province?"

I shall certainly miss the Rockies but I won't miss Alberta in general. In fact, Canada as a whole hasn't felt like home in a very long time, it just took me a few years to realize that I guess.

Welshie.
Tottaly agree with you, been in Canada over 30 years its ok but drab, boring-like place so Americanized, also if I had a million quid I would flee to Europe its ok for immigants from third world I guess!
Old Nov 9th 2011, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Been back 3months in 10days........every thing is still good,apart from the house .Still havent found any thing bigger to rent and we cannot get a mortgage to buy any thing.So we are stuck for now.Other than the house i am settling quite well now.I do have my off days,but i think that is understandable,but all in all i love being back in the UK.
My son is settling ok too.He still needs to make friends after school,so just joined rugby to try and make some friends that way. I think every thing will take time,but i cannot see myself going back to live in-doors for 7 months out of the year.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 5:45 am
Just Joined

nvgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm so glad to hear of people here happy to return and fitting back in. We are flying back at the end of this month after 5.5 years in Vancouver, we have had 2 children since being here and I want to be back with family. It's only on this forum that I hear of others talk about that empty feeling I know so well. OH doesn't really want to return but understands family aspect and so is willing to, but he worries about kids growing up with bad attitudes, etc etc. As others report I keep getting from friends and family how the country has gone downhill, how I'll regret it, etc. I'm sticking to my guns though, we've sold the house, we're going and we'll see how it goes.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by nvgirl View Post
I'm so glad to hear of people here happy to return and fitting back in. We are flying back at the end of this month after 5.5 years in Vancouver, we have had 2 children since being here and I want to be back with family. It's only on this forum that I hear of others talk about that empty feeling I know so well. OH doesn't really want to return but understands family aspect and so is willing to, but he worries about kids growing up with bad attitudes, etc etc. As others report I keep getting from friends and family how the country has gone downhill, how I'll regret it, etc. I'm sticking to my guns though, we've sold the house, we're going and we'll see how it goes.
I really think it all depends on where you move back too.If you move back to a nice area,i think the people are differnet. I have found the kids ok although yes they are different to those being taught in Canada (alberta) I have found that some get away with using language at school,where as they would never tollerate that in Alberta.I have also found that bullying seems to be far more here than i ever heard of in my sons school in Alberta.I dont hink i would leave any thing laying aound either,where i found i could leave my bag in my trolley while i wet off and looked else where and knew it would be there when i got back.......over here,i doubt it would be !!!!!!!!!!
But i really feel at home,and my son has never experianced UK life,so ink its a great experiance for him too......good luck! i am sure all those void feelings will be filled when you return
Old Dec 26th 2011, 10:39 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass View Post
First of all i have never been on this "back home" site before.Infact i have never noticed it LOL!!!!!
Well after 10yrs in Alberta we are finally home. We are settling in Kendal in the lake district.Its a beautiful town and i can really see us beng here along time.
I am so very happy and surprised that my son is settling very well into school.I was almost sick to my stomach with worry about him.But i think i can settle now as he is doing well.
I keep having flash backs to what is was like living in Alberta.........there is no doubt its a beautiful country,but it stops there for us. There is nothing but an empty feeling.......infact i cant beleive i lived there for 10yrs,it doesnt seem real. It feels so right to be back in my home land. Does anyone else have those feelings????
YES INDEEDY! It's a stunning country and I struggle with that some days but I feel so much happier too. There's so much to look forward to now and life just seems interesting again. Glad you're so happy.
Old Dec 26th 2011, 10:42 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nvgirl View Post
There's some shocking areas that are well hidden elsewhere in the world. Our country is little so it's 'bad' bits are on display more. We live in a gorgeous village and life is quite idyllic in many ways. Choose your area well and you will be fine....better that fine I'm sure.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Been back 5 months now and moving again into a lovely rental in 4weeks time. The house has been a big thing for me to settle, as we lived in a beautiful house in Alberta.So when we moved into this house ,straight off the boat from Alberta (after 10yrs) it was a big shock to the system.Every thing else about being back ....we love! I think once we move into this other house,we will be settled %100.
There is so much more to do here,so much to see,so may places to go.
England is such a beautiful place....no matter what people say
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Been back 5 months now and moving again into a lovely rental in 4weeks time. The house has been a big thing for me to settle, as we lived in a beautiful house in Alberta.So when we moved into this house ,straight off the boat from Alberta (after 10yrs) it was a big shock to the system.Every thing else about being back ....we love! I think once we move into this other house,we will be settled %100.
Good luck with the move. Happy things are working out for you. I too cannot wait to explore the beauty that is England
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

tomparker is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree totally with this Cumbrian Lass
Old Jan 24th 2012, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Sammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of lightSammypeeps is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Cumbrian Lass, loved reading this thread and so happy that you have settled in so well and I am sure you are really excited about moving into your rental.

I find these stories of people moving back and filling that emptiness so heartwarming - can't wait till its my time. Hopefully this Summer I can post a thread in this section too!!

Good luck with your move, all the best

Last edited by Sammypeeps; Jan 24th 2012 at 3:23 pm. Reason: terrible spelling - haha
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sammypeeps View Post
Hey Cumbrian Lass, loved reading this thread and so happy that you have settled in so well and I am sure you are really excited about moving into your rental.

I find these stories of people moving back and filling that emptiness so heartwarming - can't wait till its my time. Hopefully this Summer I can post a thread in this section too!!

Good luck with your move, all the best
There are so many people returning to Blighty sammy,i would love to know just what % stay and what % leave over so many years.It would be so interesting. I also know of lots of people who would love to come back,but for some reason or other cant.
I am truely loving life back home now........the first few weeks,i was un settled,but still loved it.It was just the house thing that got to me.But now we are moving into a bigger house,i think we will settle %100. There is so much to see and do here ,and the people are so friendly and have great banter.I am sure you will love it too
Old Jan 25th 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, I know exactly what you mean re: that empty feeling.

Hubby and I both have it, it would seem.

It also doesn't help that our only family here (brother and S-I-L - the boring one) are so caught up in their own lives that we barely figure. I have aluded to them several times on various posts, but for me its a real issue.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sammypeeps View Post

Exactly how I feel as well
Old Jan 27th 2012, 7:45 pm
Lost in Space

Lots of luck in your new home. So glad the return is working so well for you.