British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Been back almost a month now (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/been-back-almost-month-now-733541/)

Cumbrian Lass Sep 25th 2011 7:49 am

Been back almost a month now

First of all i have never been on this "back home" site before.Infact i have never noticed it LOL!!!!!
Well after 10yrs in Alberta we are finally home. We are settling in Kendal in the lake district.Its a beautiful town and i can really see us beng here along time.
I am so very happy and surprised that my son is settling very well into school.I was almost sick to my stomach with worry about him.But i think i can settle now as he is doing well.
I keep having flash backs to what is was like living in Alberta.........there is no doubt its a beautiful country,but it stops there for us. There is nothing but an empty feeling.......infact i cant beleive i lived there for 10yrs,it doesnt seem real. It feels so right to be back in my home land. Does anyone else have those feelings????

Karrie72 Sep 26th 2011 11:36 am

Re: Been back almost a month now

Congratulations on your move back and trust your instincts. I too anticipate having that feeling you describe when I finally move back. I'm in the USA but yes it's an empty feeling I have about the place. I only feel truly alive when I'm back home and I can't wait to feel that way everyday once more. I'm glad your son is doing well. I have two boys and I'm very worried about how they'll manage.

Irish Guinness Sep 26th 2011 1:15 pm

Know what you mean we have just got back from holidays in the u.k. and I loved every minute of my stay,we stayed in the Cotswolds,Chester,then went to visit my cousin in Berkshire.
Even though I have been in Oz fpr 40 plus years I still find it hard to settle,especially after having been home for a few weeks.
Pleased that you have settled back :thumbsup:

brits1 Sep 27th 2011 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass (Post 9640618)
First of all i have never been on this "back home" site before.Infact i have never noticed it LOL!!!!!
Well after 10yrs in Alberta we are finally home. We are settling in Kendal in the lake district.Its a beautiful town and i can really see us beng here along time.
I am so very happy and surprised that my son is settling very well into school.I was almost sick to my stomach with worry about him.But i think i can settle now as he is doing well.
I keep having flash backs to what is was like living in Alberta.........there is no doubt its a beautiful country,but it stops there for us. There is nothing but an empty feeling.......infact i cant beleive i lived there for 10yrs,it doesnt seem real. It feels so right to be back in my home land. Does anyone else have those feelings????

Great news and so glad for you all. Enjoy the lovely weather promised for this week, its just an extra bonus for you in that lovely part of the world. All the best

iaink Sep 27th 2011 12:36 pm

Time to change that profile location:thumbup:

bettyboo67 Sep 27th 2011 4:06 pm

Absolutely! I am very happy to be back and don't even think about Canada, I know that when I came back to the UK for trips it was as if my life in Canada didn't exist. Someone asked me the other day what I missed from there and all I could think of was sushi and some of my work mates!
We too were totally focused on the kids settling into school to the exclusion of almost everything else and we need not have worried as they settled in from day 1 and seem very happy.:D

We love the area we are in and I for one love being back in Glasgow, I think Glasweigans are some of the friendliest people in the UK, I love it that I find it hard to get a word in edgeways these days as I was never very good at small talk and that was all I seemed to get in BC.
The only cloud on the horizon is the job market but we haven't given up hope yet, had my first interview today(:fingerscrossed:) . As someone else wrote you just have to keep your nerve and keep plugging away.
Hope it all continues to go well for you Cumbria Lass.

Welshie82 Sep 27th 2011 11:18 pm

infact i cant beleive i lived there for 10yrs,it doesnt seem real. It feels so right to be back in my home land. Does anyone else have those feelings????

I totally agree. I just got back to Calgary after spending two weeks in England job hunting. As I was flying over Alberta and getting ready to land I looked out on the boring, drab, brown countryside and didn't feel any connection to it whatsoever. I asked myself the same things: "How could I have lived here so long? How can I have seen beauty in this boring province?"

I shall certainly miss the Rockies but I won't miss Alberta in general. In fact, Canada as a whole hasn't felt like home in a very long time, it just took me a few years to realize that I guess.

Welshie.

cheeky_monkey Sep 30th 2011 5:29 pm

Lucky you...winters is almost upon us again in Alberta :thumbdown:..times like this that i feel the need to come home.

Welshie82 Sep 30th 2011 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 9650254)
Lucky you...winters is almost upon us again in Alberta :thumbdown:..times like this that i feel the need to come home.

I heard a rumour it's supposed to snow in Calgary tomorrow. I had hoped I would be able to leave without seeing any snow, wishful thinking apparently.

Cumbrian Lass Sep 30th 2011 9:42 pm

so glad we came home when i hear the snow on its way.I couldnt bare another winter there,and i heard this winter is going to be alot worse than the last one......if it can get any worse.Sorry folks : (

Piff Poff Oct 4th 2011 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Welshie82 (Post 9650353)
I heard a rumour it's supposed to snow in Calgary tomorrow. I had hoped I would be able to leave without seeing any snow, wishful thinking apparently.

Pah! It's almost like it's the law to start mentioning flurries from Oct 1st onwards, I mean, we all know it's coming so they will get it right one day if they mention it everyday:rolleyes:

Orangepants Oct 7th 2011 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Welshie82 (Post 9645257)
I totally agree. I just got back to Calgary after spending two weeks in England job hunting. As I was flying over Alberta and getting ready to land I looked out on the boring, drab, brown countryside and didn't feel any connection to it whatsoever. I asked myself the same things: "How could I have lived here so long? How can I have seen beauty in this boring province?"

I shall certainly miss the Rockies but I won't miss Alberta in general. In fact, Canada as a whole hasn't felt like home in a very long time, it just took me a few years to realize that I guess.

Welshie.

I agree - when you are ready to go - you are ready. I lived in the Cayman Islands for 14 years and always loved flying over the Florida Keys and Cuba, looking out over the reef and the beautiful blue clear sea and landing in Cayman but once I knew I wanted to leave - that sight just never held the same appeal (for the next two years)..and I always felt a crushing feeling as though I would never get out... (and I had a great life there but my heart was elsewhere). Change is good for the soul :) Kendall is an amazing part of the country and where I would settle if I ever make it back to the UK.

Cumbrian Lass Oct 7th 2011 3:50 am

I never ever thought i would settle back in the UK so easily. Apart from the house not being big enough for all our stuff,we have settled in Kendal very very fast. Its still early days and we still have friends to make,but it actually feels like HOME.I never ever felt that in Canada,there was always some thing missing and i couldnt tell anyone who asked me what it was.But now i really know.......its that HOMELY feeling.:D
My son has spent just about all his life in Canada ,but surprisingly he too has slotted in here.He does have a bit to catch up on,especially French,geography and history.But he seems very interested in the subjects in the school here,where every thing seemed boring over there.He wasnt interested in the school work over there nor his homework,but i have seen a big change in 6 weeks,and he is getting stuck in and is willing to work hard.:thumbsup: He was bullied for a day or so,which i jumped on right away,and all was sorted out within a day or so.Now he seems very happy.:eek: Once he was happy ,so was I....now loving life:thumbsup::thumbsup:

lilybilly101 Oct 9th 2011 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass (Post 9662456)
I never ever thought i would settle back in the UK so easily. Apart from the house not being big enough for all our stuff,we have settled in Kendal very very fast. Its still early days and we still have friends to make,but it actually feels like HOME.I never ever felt that in Canada,there was always some thing missing and i couldnt tell anyone who asked me what it was.But now i really know.......its that HOMELY feeling.:D
My son has spent just about all his life in Canada ,but surprisingly he too has slotted in here.He does have a bit to catch up on,especially French,geography and history.But he seems very interested in the subjects in the school here,where every thing seemed boring over there.He wasnt interested in the school work over there nor his homework,but i have seen a big change in 6 weeks,and he is getting stuck in and is willing to work hard.:thumbsup: He was bullied for a day or so,which i jumped on right away,and all was sorted out within a day or so.Now he seems very happy.:eek: Once he was happy ,so was I....now loving life:thumbsup::thumbsup:

So great to hear how happy you are. It's such a relief isn't it? Well done and I hope your days ahead continue to be happy. You're living in a beautiful place.

Sunshine111 Oct 26th 2011 12:15 pm

Hi Cumbrianlass, fantastic to hear you have settled back so well. Think we arrived back at similar times. (early August) been back x2 months and feel exactly the same. We left Oz (Perth) and am absolutely lurving being home"!!! We are still out of sorts trying to catch up with things but ohh sooooo worth it. Was also really worried about my oldest son, settling into school too but he has settled soooo well, and has made lots of friends. We have moved to a new area in Sussex and great community just going to take time to make friends, but everytime i go outside and see that beautiful countryside i am in awe!!