Been back 8 weeks

Old Sep 20th 2006, 3:09 am
Just Joined

milligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Been back 8 weeks

Originally Posted by joh117
Well I do not regret for one minute moving back to the UK. Hubby had a job lined up which he has been in now for a month. I am still applying have had 3 interviews but so far no success however that will not put me off and I will keep trying.

We move into our house today it has taken 5 wks for the sale to go through. Luckily there was no chain so we are very pleased to be finally back into our own home. We got a mortgage through the HSBC not the best deal but they accepted all our Oz employment history whereas some wouldnt.

Not got the car on the road yet but should have by the end of next week. It has been in Derby getting the KPH changed to MPH and then can be put through its SVA test ready for registration.

Our stuff arrived in perfect condition thanks to OSS Worldwide.

I love being back. I have my life back I have people fighting over babysitting duties to give me my much missed nights out. I drove through York this morning dropping my hubby off at work and it is such a beautiful city with so much history and I felt happy to be back. The sun is shining with clear blue skies today and I just feel so happy to be back.

I find that clothes are cheaper than I remember here and food shopping is no more expensive than Oz. I love been able to buy bananas again at a reasonable price!!

It is great to catch up with family and friends and when I need a chat not have to think what time is it before I make the call.

I went to Mothercare the other day and I decided it was a good job I did not have my baby in the UK as I would have gone mad the choice here is unbelievable compared to Oz. Even in the supermarkets there is much more choice on baby products than I had in Oz.

Anyway I love been back and do not miss Oz at all and I do not feel bad about that. I will return for holidays when not sure But I do know we made the right decision. There is more to life than the beach, sun, large house and garden. We may be mortgaged to the hilt but we are happy. Regrets none what so ever glad we did it but glad we came home

Jo
Great to hear all the positive thoughts and feelings on your return to the Uk.

We are certainly considering moving back to the Uk - we are from Scotland- but as so many have said before me it is a far scarier decision to make going back to the Uk than it was to leave!

My biggest concern is that I will constantly wonder "what if we stayed". We haev been here in NZ for over 3 years and although I liked it I don't love it as much as i thought I would especially now we have a baby. God you're a million miles away from everybody that really give a hoot about you.

My husband and I have had zero nights out on our own since our baby was born and that's not just cos of lack of babysitters but lack of dosh! I want my life back and that feeling of shopping til I drop and a decent haircut. Hairdressers are sh**e here well where I live anyway!

Sometimes I want to just jump on the next plane out of here and then the fear factor kicks in.

I see that Amanda (we've spoken on your thread) and Albion2 are here in NZ and looking to go back. We all seem to share the same thinking and reasoning for returning. Reassuring to know I am not the only one having a change of heart.

Milligano
Old Sep 20th 2006, 4:57 am
Just Joined

Albion2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there - yes you are certainly not alone in your thinking...I am a bit over Kiwis telling me arrogantly that I will be back sooner rather than later, especially ones who have never been to the UK. Interestingly, those that have lived there have been much more positive about our move. One said if it wasn't for her son needing to be near his dad (they are separated) she would be on the plane back to Blighty like a shot!

I find that on sunny days like today I wonder why I want to go but then I think of all the summer days in the UK (and i hate the humidity here in the middle of summer) and I feel better again!

Plus I think you are right about family and close friends being important - you have convinced me that I am making the right decision to go home and have a baby. I want to be able to have the occasional night out and my kids to benefit from close family around them.

But having said all that the fear factor is definitely there. What if we don't find nice place to live/ decent jobs etc etc but I think thats a normal feeling when you are uprooting your life.

Caroline PS know a good English hairdresser in Auckland if you live here!

Originally Posted by milligano
Great to hear all the positive thoughts and feelings on your return to the Uk.

We are certainly considering moving back to the Uk - we are from Scotland- but as so many have said before me it is a far scarier decision to make going back to the Uk than it was to leave!

My biggest concern is that I will constantly wonder "what if we stayed". We haev been here in NZ for over 3 years and although I liked it I don't love it as much as i thought I would especially now we have a baby. God you're a million miles away from everybody that really give a hoot about you.

My husband and I have had zero nights out on our own since our baby was born and that's not just cos of lack of babysitters but lack of dosh! I want my life back and that feeling of shopping til I drop and a decent haircut. Hairdressers are sh**e here well where I live anyway!

Sometimes I want to just jump on the next plane out of here and then the fear factor kicks in.

I see that Amanda (we've spoken on your thread) and Albion2 are here in NZ and looking to go back. We all seem to share the same thinking and reasoning for returning. Reassuring to know I am not the only one having a change of heart.

Milligano
Old Sep 20th 2006, 10:19 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to add that we are glad we moved back to UK as well. I am so glad to be "home" - the feeling of relief and happiness is overwhelming we are in torquay and it is cold and raining but i wouldnt want to be anywhere else
Old Sep 20th 2006, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

milligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Albion2
Hi there - yes you are certainly not alone in your thinking...I am a bit over Kiwis telling me arrogantly that I will be back sooner rather than later, especially ones who have never been to the UK. Interestingly, those that have lived there have been much more positive about our move. One said if it wasn't for her son needing to be near his dad (they are separated) she would be on the plane back to Blighty like a shot!

I find that on sunny days like today I wonder why I want to go but then I think of all the summer days in the UK (and i hate the humidity here in the middle of summer) and I feel better again!

Plus I think you are right about family and close friends being important - you have convinced me that I am making the right decision to go home and have a baby. I want to be able to have the occasional night out and my kids to benefit from close family around them.

But having said all that the fear factor is definitely there. What if we don't find nice place to live/ decent jobs etc etc but I think thats a normal feeling when you are uprooting your life.

Caroline PS know a good English hairdresser in Auckland if you live here!
No I don't - I'm in Taupo. But if I got the chance I would make an appointment and travel up there to get a decent haircut!

I am sure you'll find a nice place to live and jobs. We've been looking at s1jobs.com and s1homes.com. We're moving back to be close to family so it limits our choice which is good. And you can always move house. God we moved countries!

Isn't it weird that we are more frightened going back to a country we lived most of our adult lives yet we moved here knowing very little but up sticks and came without too much fear even though it was even more riskier?

I'm over the whole "I came here for the climate and lifestyle" the long and short of it is you can't enjoy these things if your heart isn't in it cos it lies elsewhere i.e. home in the UK.

When are you thinking of heading back and to where?
Old Sep 21st 2006, 1:25 am
Just Joined

Albion2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ya - yes I know what you mean about the lifestyle and climate..And really over the 'its a better place for children' thing too. I got really cross with my mother in law the other day. I told her in no uncertain terms what a load of crap that was. Since when did Kiwi kids go to Europe on school trips, get to go to London museums etc, chances to sing in Albert Hall etc and also a decent education - somewhat lacking here I feel...just my opinion but based on my partners experience and other kiwis..

Yes wierd how its scary going home. Think its a bit to do with pride - i.e we left for a reason and now we heading back there and what if the reasons we left are still there and we feel we have made a mistake!! But hell - I realise the grass is always greener and you can always come back if you really want to. Not sure that will happen though!!

We are heading back in March (getting married in April) and back to Brighton to be near family and friends. I don't want to start all over somewhere else and its a great city! What about you?
Old Sep 21st 2006, 2:40 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theguitardoctor
I'm glad that you are happy, but I had the same view 2 years ago...now I want out of the UK again !!!

I guess the novelty wore off for me.....although I may think differently living in York...it's a very beautiful city.
Living on a council estate in Burnley isn't fantabulous?
Old Sep 24th 2006, 1:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Albion2
Hi ya - yes I know what you mean about the lifestyle and climate..And really over the 'its a better place for children' thing too. I got really cross with my mother in law the other day. I told her in no uncertain terms what a load of crap that was. Since when did Kiwi kids go to Europe on school trips, get to go to London museums etc, chances to sing in Albert Hall etc and also a decent education - somewhat lacking here I feel...just my opinion but based on my partners experience and other kiwis..

Yes wierd how its scary going home. Think its a bit to do with pride - i.e we left for a reason and now we heading back there and what if the reasons we left are still there and we feel we have made a mistake!! But hell - I realise the grass is always greener and you can always come back if you really want to. Not sure that will happen though!!

We are heading back in March (getting married in April) and back to Brighton to be near family and friends. I don't want to start all over somewhere else and its a great city! What about you?
Hi if we go back it will be to Scotland located either near Edinburgh or Glasgow - probably somewhere in between so hubby can commute for work & also be in the countryside rather than city living.

Agree pride has got a lot to do with it as well as a the constant "remember why you left in the first place" swirling about in your head. I think you have to follow your heart though even if your head tells you differently - that's where I'm at. It makes more sense to stay but it is hard to reconcile this when your heart is heavy with sadness cos you really want to be with the people who mean the most to you and you to them.

That being said my hubby has just been offered a great job in AKL of all places! It isn't helping one bit. I might need that hairdresser after all!