British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/bbc-radio-1-siriusxm-728018/)

SarahG Aug 9th 2011 12:29 pm

BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 
As of this morning it is no longer there! :frown:

They have a message being repeated that you can listen to the same music on other channels. I listened because I liked the shows. (I actually like Chris Moyles Breakfast Show)

I will be cancelling my subscription as the only reason I got it was for Radio 1!

Anyone know if there is anywhere else you can listen to it on delay? Don't fancy my chances at getting up at 1.30am to listen live on my computer! :eek:

nethead Aug 9th 2011 12:31 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 

Originally Posted by SarahG (Post 9547239)
As of this morning it is no longer there! :frown:

They have a message being repeated that you can listen to the same music on other channels. I listened because I liked the shows. (I actually like Chris Moyles Breakfast Show)

I will be cancelling my subscription as the only reason I got it was for Radio 1!

Anyone know if there is anywhere else you can listen to it on delay? Don't fancy my chances at getting up at 1.30am to listen live on my computer! :eek:

Really? I always listen to radio 1 in the car :frown: There wasn't any warning about that.

SarahG Aug 9th 2011 12:32 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 
Yeah, I got a bit of a surprise when the alarm kicked in this morning! I have already emailed Sirius and have written on their Facebook page. Won't do a lot of good but I wanted to vent!

Rusty Chainsaw Aug 9th 2011 12:58 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 
Just noticed this this morning. Very upset, especially right now as I have friends in areas where there's rioting and I want news updates. Us expats rely on the likes of Radio 1 as a voice from home, even though the music's crap.

Tuppence Aug 9th 2011 2:14 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 
Some more info on the thread I started in the Canadian forum...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=728005

Rusty Chainsaw Aug 9th 2011 2:27 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 
I have emailed Sirius with a complaint, and spoken to their customer care line - they tell me that the situation has been escalated. I encourage everyone to do the same.

hobbes79 Aug 9th 2011 3:09 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 
Utterly gutted by this change. My commute can be about an hour each way. Listening to Radio 1 actually made it quite enjoyable :eek:

Bob Aug 9th 2011 3:20 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 
Download podcasts for later playing?

nethead Aug 9th 2011 3:23 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 9547544)
I have emailed Sirius with a complaint, and spoken to their customer care line - they tell me that the situation has been escalated. I encourage everyone to do the same.

Just emailed them.

SarahG Aug 9th 2011 3:43 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 9547544)
I have emailed Sirius with a complaint, and spoken to their customer care line - they tell me that the situation has been escalated. I encourage everyone to do the same.

Is escalated code for "oops we may have made a mistake"? I certainly hope so! :fingerscrossed:

nethead Aug 9th 2011 3:44 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 

Originally Posted by SarahG (Post 9547769)
Is escalated code for "oops we may have made a mistake"? I certainly hope so! :fingerscrossed:

Yeah I don't know what that means either. But they are all might miffed about it over in the Canada forum.

ukintexas Aug 9th 2011 4:28 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 
I've just spoken to someone at Sirius - seemed oblivous to what I was trying to say - then quoted "BBC Radio is no longer available but I can enjoy all the hits they played via a combination of the other channels". Am bummed! Have cancelled both mine and my husband's subscriptions :-(

dinosaur Aug 9th 2011 5:30 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 
Dropped Sirius (as it was) a while back and rolled cost into iPhone data plan, given availability of 3G when roaming and wi-fi at home.

Now, if I want live UK radio use WunderRadio app which allows access to Radiofeeds UK. Also many independent stations have their own apps (Capital, Absolute etc). Only thing is that these feeds are not timeshifted, which I must admit was the nice differentiator of SiriusXM...

cluedweasel Aug 9th 2011 6:13 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 
Not much use for a car, but I have a Logitech Squeezebox radio in the kitchen. It works over wi-fi and plays stations from all over the world. I have Radio 2, 4 and 5 as well as a couple of locals from the UK saved to the presets. Steve Wright is my morning DJ again! It also plays podcasts and Pandora. Not cheap, but for me it's priceless. I got mine on sale for $109. They go on sale quite often.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speake...s/devices/5847

For playing stuff in the car, I download BBC podcasts from iTunes and play them through my iPod.

ukintexas Aug 9th 2011 6:30 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 
I liked the fact that when you listened via Sirius, the time was adjusted so you were listening to the breakfast show at breakfast time here etc. Can't believe they've scraped it. They offered me a 50% reduction for the rest of my year's subscription, but I can't remember a time I've used one of their other channels so I said no! :angry_smile:

yasicat Aug 9th 2011 7:07 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 
Called Sirius corporate in New York to lodge my complaint - secretary or assistant was very nice, sounded weary, said that she has been fielding these calls all day and doesn't know exactly what the status is (key people are out of the office and apparently there are lots of upper management/heavy hitter meetings going on), but she is keeping a list of complaints, and she said that canceled stations have been brought back due to subscriber anger, so she definitely encouraged lodging your complaint with Sirius in a number of ways.

Sirius corporate number 212-584-5100.

Also, lots of posts on Facebook at the Sirius XM "fan" page (what a laugh, now), and the Get Radio 1 back page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Get-BB...75713435831140

Sue Aug 9th 2011 9:10 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 
I was gutted this morning too when I got in the car and switched radio on only to get that stupid automated message. Called to complain and was told to listen to Channel 118 instead (BBC World Service). Hung up in disgust.

I only subscribe to listen to Radio 1 and the time delay was a huge bonus as it meant listening to Chris Moyles etc. If they don't bring it back then I will cancel my subscriptions.

tigerbaywarrior Aug 10th 2011 4:48 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 
(Hope this doesn't violate our forum rules)

Other email addresses worth emailing our frustrations to:

[email protected]
- Senior Director Music Programming

[email protected]
- Office of Sirius XM CEO

[email protected]

Keep the ball rolling on this one! We fight hard enough, we will get our Radio 1 back!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-...49342075147833
http://www.facebook.com/SaveRadio1inNorthAmerica

Sorry Mods - I am incensed!! (Or angry).

SarahG Aug 10th 2011 4:56 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 
BBC Radio 1 have apparently said the following in regards to SiriusXM dropping the station from their channel line up.


We're sorry you're currently unable to enjoy Radio 1 via Sirius/XM. The
deal which allowed Radio 1 to be broadcast in America recently finished
and has unfortunately, at the moment, has not been renewed by Sirius/XM.
We're not sure if this is a final decision, so if may be worth
contacting them directly to express your view, but we would like to
thank you for listening up until now.

Kind Regards,

Radio 1

lyonsden1193 Aug 10th 2011 5:04 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 

Originally Posted by yasicat (Post 9548288)
Called Sirius corporate in New York to lodge my complaint - secretary or assistant was very nice, sounded weary, said that she has been fielding these calls all day and doesn't know exactly what the status is (key people are out of the office and apparently there are lots of upper management/heavy hitter meetings going on), but she is keeping a list of complaints, and she said that canceled stations have been brought back due to subscriber anger, so she definitely encouraged lodging your complaint with Sirius in a number of ways.

Sirius corporate number 212-584-5100.

Also, lots of posts on Facebook at the Sirius XM "fan" page (what a laugh, now), and the Get Radio 1 back page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Get-BB...75713435831140

OK all the upper management being in meetings is code for F off you bloody nuisance!!! I get this 5 days a week with every corporate entity I call.

Sorry to burst your bubble... but Sirius really dont give a sh*t!!.

kimilseung Aug 10th 2011 5:12 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 
How old are you people? isn't radio one for 12 year olds?
I have not listened since John Peel died, and not regular to his show since the early 80's, so I may be a tad out of touch.

lyonsden1193 Aug 10th 2011 5:18 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 9550817)
How old are you people? isn't radio one for 12 year olds?
I have not listened since John Peel died, and not regular to his show since the early 80's, so I may be a tad out of touch.

Well I guess you must have decent radio where you are.. around here it is diabolical how inane the radio stations are, and, without exception every one of them seems to have a library of about 14 records they keep playing over and over.

Bring back DLT, JPeel, J Walker ... I would even tolerate Tony Blackburn:eek:

Bob Aug 10th 2011 5:39 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193 (Post 9550832)
Well I guess you must have decent radio where you are.. around here it is diabolical how inane the radio stations are, and, without exception every one of them seems to have a library of about 14 records they keep playing over and over.

Clearwater, the rush to the bottom of the swamp for radio :lol:

SarahG Aug 10th 2011 5:45 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 
Statement from BBC Worldwide Press Office

Anian Aug 10th 2011 6:27 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM
 

Originally Posted by ukintexas (Post 9547897)
I've just spoken to someone at Sirius - seemed oblivous to what I was trying to say - then quoted "BBC Radio is no longer available but I can enjoy all the hits they played via a combination of the other channels". Am bummed! Have cancelled both mine and my husband's subscriptions :-(

I hope you told them that you are cancelling because you can hear the same music via a combination of other music sources.


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:20 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.