British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/bbc-radio-1-siriusxm-728018/)

SarahG Aug 9th 2011 12:29 pm

BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM

As of this morning it is no longer there! :frown:

They have a message being repeated that you can listen to the same music on other channels. I listened because I liked the shows. (I actually like Chris Moyles Breakfast Show)

I will be cancelling my subscription as the only reason I got it was for Radio 1!

Anyone know if there is anywhere else you can listen to it on delay? Don't fancy my chances at getting up at 1.30am to listen live on my computer! :eek:

nethead Aug 9th 2011 12:31 pm

Re: BBC Radio 1 on SiriusXM

Originally Posted by SarahG (Post 9547239)
As of this morning it is no longer there! :frown:

They have a message being repeated that you can listen to the same music on other channels. I listened because I liked the shows. (I actually like Chris Moyles Breakfast Show)

I will be cancelling my subscription as the only reason I got it was for Radio 1!

Anyone know if there is anywhere else you can listen to it on delay? Don't fancy my chances at getting up at 1.30am to listen live on my computer! :eek:

Really? I always listen to radio 1 in the car :frown: There wasn't any warning about that.

SarahG Aug 9th 2011 12:32 pm

Yeah, I got a bit of a surprise when the alarm kicked in this morning! I have already emailed Sirius and have written on their Facebook page. Won't do a lot of good but I wanted to vent!

Rusty Chainsaw Aug 9th 2011 12:58 pm

Just noticed this this morning. Very upset, especially right now as I have friends in areas where there's rioting and I want news updates. Us expats rely on the likes of Radio 1 as a voice from home, even though the music's crap.

Tuppence Aug 9th 2011 2:14 pm

Some more info on the thread I started in the Canadian forum...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=728005

Rusty Chainsaw Aug 9th 2011 2:27 pm

I have emailed Sirius with a complaint, and spoken to their customer care line - they tell me that the situation has been escalated. I encourage everyone to do the same.

hobbes79 Aug 9th 2011 3:09 pm

Utterly gutted by this change. My commute can be about an hour each way. Listening to Radio 1 actually made it quite enjoyable :eek:

Bob Aug 9th 2011 3:20 pm

Download podcasts for later playing?

nethead Aug 9th 2011 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 9547544)
I have emailed Sirius with a complaint, and spoken to their customer care line - they tell me that the situation has been escalated. I encourage everyone to do the same.

Just emailed them.

SarahG Aug 9th 2011 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw (Post 9547544)

Is escalated code for "oops we may have made a mistake"? I certainly hope so! :fingerscrossed:

nethead Aug 9th 2011 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by SarahG (Post 9547769)
Is escalated code for "oops we may have made a mistake"? I certainly hope so! :fingerscrossed:

Yeah I don't know what that means either. But they are all might miffed about it over in the Canada forum.

ukintexas Aug 9th 2011 4:28 pm

I've just spoken to someone at Sirius - seemed oblivous to what I was trying to say - then quoted "BBC Radio is no longer available but I can enjoy all the hits they played via a combination of the other channels". Am bummed! Have cancelled both mine and my husband's subscriptions :-(

dinosaur Aug 9th 2011 5:30 pm

Dropped Sirius (as it was) a while back and rolled cost into iPhone data plan, given availability of 3G when roaming and wi-fi at home.

Now, if I want live UK radio use WunderRadio app which allows access to Radiofeeds UK. Also many independent stations have their own apps (Capital, Absolute etc). Only thing is that these feeds are not timeshifted, which I must admit was the nice differentiator of SiriusXM...

cluedweasel Aug 9th 2011 6:13 pm

Not much use for a car, but I have a Logitech Squeezebox radio in the kitchen. It works over wi-fi and plays stations from all over the world. I have Radio 2, 4 and 5 as well as a couple of locals from the UK saved to the presets. Steve Wright is my morning DJ again! It also plays podcasts and Pandora. Not cheap, but for me it's priceless. I got mine on sale for $109. They go on sale quite often.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speake...s/devices/5847

For playing stuff in the car, I download BBC podcasts from iTunes and play them through my iPod.

ukintexas Aug 9th 2011 6:30 pm

I liked the fact that when you listened via Sirius, the time was adjusted so you were listening to the breakfast show at breakfast time here etc. Can't believe they've scraped it. They offered me a 50% reduction for the rest of my year's subscription, but I can't remember a time I've used one of their other channels so I said no! :angry_smile: