Wikiposts

Bath & Christchurch

Old Mar 12th 2013, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

bellarina is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Bath & Christchurch

Hi everyone

Bath and Christchurch are on my long list of places we are considering moving back to. Are there any areas we should definitely avoid? And any areas anyone can highly recommend?

There's been some great info on other areas we are interested in on this part of the forum (Weymouth & Exeter) and I've done some research on those places but unless I've missed it couldn't find much information on Bath & Christchurch.

Easy access to Bristol or Bournemouth airports would be good as we want to visit family in Europe.

DD is looking at studying abroad so being in a good school catchment area isn't important.

I've only ever been to Bath twice and that was on a couple of business trips so only had time for a very quick glance at the town but it looked gorgeous and I spent many childhood holidays in Dorset but never went to Christchurch.

Also got France on our relocation list but that's another thread LOL

Thanks
Old Mar 13th 2013, 1:45 am
Just Joined

brithampton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bath & Christchurch

Hi there - both are lovely places. I've been to Christchurch tons of times, but don't know much about living there - think it's quite a retirement place year-round and then obviously touristy in the summer. We have been researching Bath and have actually made the decision to move there and I couldn't be more excited. I've always loved the city, but don't really know it too much beyond the city centre. However, a friend who lives there recently sent this to me, which was a big help. We have now found a house to rent on a long-term lease and the next step is to do the school stuff. Looking to be there end of June/early July. Anyway, here is the info my friend sent, hope it helps:

Great places to live in Bath:

Anwhere central
Lansdown - can be quite grand, close to good schools
Larkhall- very homely, slightly villagey feeling - bit like Hampstead
Bear Flat - lots of young families, few decent local shops, good school
Combe Down- bits of it are gorgeous and remind me of Greenwich, London
Weston (although some of it can feel a bit 'Terry and June') - good value for money, close to Victoria Park (BIG hit with the children!)
Freshford - large village close to Bath with an excellent school, decent pub and a couple of good local shops (prob would be our first choice if we didn't live in Bath)

Agencies - we obviously trawled Right Move all the time but the best letting agencies seem to be Reside and Crisp Cowley.

Great company to use if you want to do a short term couple of weeks scouting trip is http://www.bathholidayrentals.com.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

bellarina is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Brithampton

Thanks very much for replying. That info is really helpful.

Bath is looking more appealing all the time. I've printed the page out and put it in my ever expanding folder of UK information!!

I'm hoping to get to make a trip back to the UK next year and if I do get there will do a bit of a reccie to Bath to check out those areas. I'd love to afford a place in central Bath but think I'd need to win the lotto first.

Thanks again
Old Mar 13th 2013, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

brithampton is an unknown quantity at this point

My pleasure! Good luck. I'll re-post when we move back in the summer and let you know how it really is! Hopefully signing a lease for a rental house in next few days - we've not actually seen the house in person, but my in-laws went and we've at least visited that road before a couple of times! I'm getting very excited and now have a busy few weeks ahead of us!