Basketball in England

Old Nov 8th 2004, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

truebrits is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Basketball in England

Hi, this forum has been great for myself and my wife, as we are seriously thinking about returning hom after 9 years away. We have found plenty of info about schools, etc, and found it extremely helpful. My oldest son (11) plays a lot of basketball, and we were wondering if anyone knows how big the basketball scene is in the Bournemouth area, or Dorset as a whole. Although we are not originally from that area, we want to be near the ocean as we live on the east coast here. We're actually going home over the new year, so I hope we don't have a big culture shock and decide to stay here after all! Right now all we can think is good points about England, so lets hope we haven't been wearing those rose-tinted specs
One thing we do much better than they do.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 8:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Basketball in England

Can't speak for that area, but it's normally pretty big in schools, well my old schools use to play it lots, there were county champion and nation wide type school competitions and that sort of thing, so I'm sure he'll be able to find something, if nothing else, a local sports centre would be able to help out find a team or something like that
Old Nov 9th 2004, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Basketball in England

Originally Posted by truebrits
Hi, this forum has been great for myself and my wife, as we are seriously thinking about returning hom after 9 years away. We have found plenty of info about schools, etc, and found it extremely helpful. My oldest son (11) plays a lot of basketball, and we were wondering if anyone knows how big the basketball scene is in the Bournemouth area, or Dorset as a whole. Although we are not originally from that area, we want to be near the ocean as we live on the east coast here. We're actually going home over the new year, so I hope we don't have a big culture shock and decide to stay here after all! Right now all we can think is good points about England, so lets hope we haven't been wearing those rose-tinted specs
One thing we do much better than they do.

My eldest loves basketball also. We came back to the UK in July. His school PE lessons have not included basketball as yet, and they have no team.... There seems to be little interest in our area as they are all football crazy. We are In Langley, Berkshire.

Heres a couple of links that may help you...

http://www.bournemouthbasketball.co.uk/

http://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/visito...ub%20Directory

The first link is an adult league team, but the second has a list of all sports... If they have a team in Bournemouth, then I would think there must be something for the kids surely...

We brought the basketball hoop/stand with us, so the kids do get to play when it's not raining... LOL.... Eldest seems to have adjusted well anyway, and is pretty good at football, so thats great....