Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Basic questions about returning

Basic questions about returning

Old Jul 1st 2020, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Basic questions about returning

Originally Posted by Streetlegal
Good point. I didn't think of that!
Ed
In theory, you could lose your PR status the very next day if you'd shown intent to leave the U.S.
However:
You should file an I-407 if you are intending to give up your GC. This makes it official.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Streetlegal is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi neil: forgive me, but what is PR status?
Old Jul 1st 2020, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Hi neil: forgive me, but what is PR status?
Permanent Resident - what your Greencard gives you.
Old Jul 1st 2020, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Oh, yes, duh.

The only thing I would worry about re. losing PR is whether it might impact my pension or cause complications, though I'm sure I've read, at least for SS, citizenship is not a criterion.

The alternative would be to go for citizenship.

Cheers
Ed
Old Jul 1st 2020, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, yes, duh.

The only thing I would worry about re. losing PR is whether it might impact my pension or cause complications, though I'm sure I've read, at least for SS, citizenship is not a criterion.

The alternative would be to go for citizenship.

Cheers
Ed
I can confirm that citizenship does not affect your SS. I very much doubt it would affect other pensions either. If you have legally been employed and paying into a pension scheme they cannot discriminate on citizenship and withhold your pension.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, mate. Really appreciate your helpfulness. I didn't reply earlier because I have had a medical emergency and I'm not in the best shape right now.

Which brings me to an important question:

On my greencard, I could theoretically return to UK for up to 6 months. Would I be able to register with a GP and use the NHS in this time? Is there a problem if I am a greencard holder, or a threshold of time I need to be back in the UK for?

I have managed, in the past, to very occasionally use the NHS but I have always been really anxious about declaring my address etc. In fact, one time they made me pay for a consultation (when I was still able to go to my parent's home when they were alive and a doctor took umbrage against something I said).
Old Jul 7th 2020, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, mate. Really appreciate your helpfulness. I didn't reply earlier because I have had a medical emergency and I'm not in the best shape right now.

Which brings me to an important question:

On my greencard, I could theoretically return to UK for up to 6 months. Would I be able to register with a GP and use the NHS in this time? Is there a problem if I am a greencard holder, or a threshold of time I need to be back in the UK for?

I have managed, in the past, to very occasionally use the NHS but I have always been really anxious about declaring my address etc. In fact, one time they made me pay for a consultation (when I was still able to go to my parent's home when they were alive and a doctor took umbrage against something I said).
You can’t use the NHS unless you are a tax resident. A year after returning I needed to go to the hospital and had to bring in proof of address and proof of being entitled to live in the U.K. In my case it was my U.K. passport and a utility bill. Once I had my hospital number assigned I haven’t been asked again, and I have had 2 outpatient surgeries.