Banks Accounts in England

Old Jun 19th 2007, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Banks Accounts in England

Hi everyone,

We just wanted to know how you can open a bank account in the U.K, we left the U.K 9 years ago and do not have any current bank accounts. We are hoping to move back near Manchester Aug 07, we have a west pac account here in Perth. We will be staying with my father in law until we either rent (which we would prefer and have a good look around) or buy. Any tips would be really helpful.

Kev and Jackie in Perth :unsure:
Old Jun 19th 2007, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Chipotle will become famous soon enoughChipotle will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Banks Accounts in England

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi everyone,

We just wanted to know how you can open a bank account in the U.K, we left the U.K 9 years ago and do not have any current bank accounts. We are hoping to move back near Manchester Aug 07, we have a west pac account here in Perth. We will be staying with my father in law until we either rent (which we would prefer and have a good look around) or buy. Any tips would be really helpful.

Kev and Jackie in Perth :unsure:
Hello there

I find the info on this FREE website very very useful when having to decide on utilities, banks, etc. Check out the Forum too (top right hand corner). It's addictive!

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

Best of luck

Chipotle
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

gettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant future

we moved back 10 years ago and had real probs opening anything and I think it may have got more difficult since then! the problem was the phrase "habitual residence" in other words you must been resident the last 26 weeks! did it eventually with a builsing society passbook account, then I ifstarted Uni and the banks were falling over themselves to open a student account!! if you want more info how we did it then pls PM me but I know from my work that it is even tighter now but there are ways round it , if you need anything let me know and I might be able to let you know some ideas on how to proceed
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:16 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter tried recently on our return as she'd closed hers. Most of the banks wanted either passport and utility bills or driving licence with your address on. Lloyds TSB though only wanted to see her passport.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried HSBC in Perth. They have branches in the UK so transfering the account to the UK would be easier than trying to open an account.

Here's a link.
http://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/hsbcpremier/assistance

Other than that.... If your father in law would transfer a utility bill to your name it will help prove you live there. Most banks will expect wages paid in monthly for current accounts. Driving license changed to that address also.

Sorry I can't help more. We kept our UK account when we left for USA, so still had it when we returned 7 yrs later. Just kept it open by family paying the odd cheque in at christmas for the kids. Barclays had our US address for correspondence.

I have heard quite a few do well with HSBC though.

Good luck. Weather here is dam hot right now with intermittant flooding... LOL
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

You're a sight for sore eyes. How the hell have you been?

Originally Posted by honeymommy
Have you tried HSBC in Perth. They have branches in the UK so transfering the account to the UK would be easier than trying to open an account.

Here's a link.
http://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/hsbcpremier/assistance

Other than that.... If your father in law would transfer a utility bill to your name it will help prove you live there. Most banks will expect wages paid in monthly for current accounts. Driving license changed to that address also.

Sorry I can't help more. We kept our UK account when we left for USA, so still had it when we returned 7 yrs later. Just kept it open by family paying the odd cheque in at christmas for the kids. Barclays had our US address for correspondence.

I have heard quite a few do well with HSBC though.

Good luck. Weather here is dam hot right now with intermittant flooding... LOL
Old Jun 19th 2007, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Norm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to allNorm71 is a name known to all

We went back in Febuary for a short spell and opened up a joint bank account with my dad. We didn't need and bills and that sort of stuff. Hubby did need to show his passport and that was it. The bank account was approved. Good job really because a couple of months later hubby lost his job and we now have to return. Having that account is going to hold us in good stead for the residencie thing.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
You're a sight for sore eyes. How the hell have you been?
Will Post an update so I don't disrupt this thread.