Bank Question

Old Nov 3rd 2015, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

andrewnovell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bank Question

Hello,

I have around $45,000 in savings in a USA bank account. I am planning to move back permanently to the UK in the spring. I know I will be able to go on accessing my account from there with my Visa Cards, but what is the most cost effective way to move this to the UK? I will be making regular large transactions there to start with (for rent, shopping, etc.) and don't know if I should take a large sum with me somehow to cover my way until I am settled.

Also, another problem is that after 12 years of being away I don't have a bank there and it will take me a while to get one again I imagine. Is there some kind of simple bank account I can open there without too much hassle to get me going again and to hold my money?

I have explored the site, but can't find a clear thread for this topic. If I'm missing it perhaps you can just point me in the right direction. Cheers.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 1:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Question

There are a myriad BE threads on on-line exchange/remittance companies. Search xe.com or worldfirst as they seem to get mentioned on most threads, however not all are licensed to operate in the US.

Xe.com belongs to Western Union and so is licensed in the US, but isn't the most competitively priced, though is still much better than using a bank.

Before you can use any on-line remitter you will need to register by providing the same sort of information you need to open a bank account - proof of name, address, date of birth, and an ID such as a DL or passport.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 4th 2015 at 1:28 am.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 12:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewnovell
Hello,

Also, another problem is that after 12 years of being away I don't have a bank there and it will take me a while to get one again I imagine. Is there some kind of simple bank account I can open there without too much hassle to get me going again and to hold my money?

I have explored the site, but can't find a clear thread for this topic. If I'm missing it perhaps you can just point me in the right direction. Cheers.
The advice I always give when this question is asked is, open an offshore account in the Isle of Man. The reason is simple; UK banks are not too willing to open a new account for a non UK resident, especially if he's a U.S. Person. IoM offshore bank accounts, by contrast, are designed for this situation.

I have a current account with Lloyds in IoM that works exactly like a UK account. It has a ATM/debit card, cheque book, etc. I used it with no problem in UK to order furniture from IKEA, set up utilities, standing orders etc.

You apply online then have to mail them your proof of residence, identity and so forth. (Notarized photocopy of passport, U.S. Utility bill, etc.)
Old Nov 5th 2015, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Robin1234, I might be interested in IOM offshore accounts. Can you provide link or pm me? How much do you need to have in account? Would make my trip overseas bit easier me thinks..
Old Nov 5th 2015, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Oh gawd - just checked out how much you need to invest.. It's not for me. Would this be a good thing for someone to do if.. a Brit moves home for good and after age 60 has access to US retirement accounts? Transfer funds over there. Not talking social security.. Probably daft idea..
Old Nov 5th 2015, 9:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Robin1234, I might be interested in IOM offshore accounts. Can you provide link or pm me? How much do you need to have in account? Would make my trip overseas bit easier me thinks..
Originally Posted by fulwood
Oh gawd - just checked out how much you need to invest.. It's not for me. Would this be a good thing for someone to do if.. a Brit moves home for good and after age 60 has access to US retirement accounts? Transfer funds over there. Not talking social security.. Probably daft idea..
No, this isn't an investment, just an ordinary bank account! I honestly don't know what the minimum initial deposit or the minimum balance you need to maintain in order to avoid a monthly fee. But I think it is relatively modest.

I still get my US Social Security deposited in my US bank account. But we do get a couple of pensions deposited in the IoM account.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 9:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

I believe you need to maintain a balance of 2,500 pounds at Lloyds Bank, IoM, sterling current account, in order to avoid a monthly fee. Lloyds is just an example, there are a few other banks there with current accounts. Most banks there just have savings accounts and such, or "private banking" type services..
Old Nov 6th 2015, 12:43 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I believe you need to maintain a balance of 2,500 pounds at Lloyds Bank, IoM, sterling current account, in order to avoid a monthly fee. Lloyds is just an example, there are a few other banks there with current accounts. Most banks there just have savings accounts and such, or "private banking" type services..
Many of the banks are getting more restrictive. I have an account with a bank there which is part of the RBS Group, but a while ago they changed the rules and now no longer offer new current accounts to non-IOM residents. They appear quite happy that I am now US resident, but will no longer open up new accounts for US residents.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

I am interested in this too. What banks will still allow you to open an account from the US? I think HSBC is one, but we don't have one in our area of Florida.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 9:20 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Perth
I am interested in this too. What banks will still allow you to open an account from the US? I think HSBC is one, but we don't have one in our area of Florida.
Why does it need to be a bank that has a local presence where you currently live, though? In the case of Lloyds Bank International in the Isle of Man, for instance, you apply online, and then you send them notarized copies of certain documents related to your identity and residence (passport, U.S. Bank statement, utility bill etc.) When the account is set up, you fund it, and you have an operating bank account with a debit/ATM card, check book, online access, ability to pay bills online etc.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Why does it need to be a bank that has a local presence where you currently live, though? In the case of Lloyds Bank International in the Isle of Man, for instance, you apply online, and then you send them notarized copies of certain documents related to your identity and residence (passport, U.S. Bank statement, utility bill etc.) When the account is set up, you fund it, and you have an operating bank account with a debit/ATM card, check book, online access, ability to pay bills online etc.
This sounds good robin. Will take a look. Thanks!
Old Nov 8th 2015, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

I opened an HSBC account online in the USA. We live in Virginia and was given an account in Buffalo New York.

I think the nearest branch to us may be in DC.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
I opened an HSBC account online in the USA. We live in Virginia and was given an account in Buffalo New York.

I think the nearest branch to us may be in DC.
That's good to know. I have heard good things about their premium account. Just need to look into it a little more.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 1:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That's good to know. I have heard good things about their premium account. ....
Not sure why, people complain about the high fees and/or extraordinarily high minimum balance requirements. Also their customer service is notoriously bad. And they have closed or sold many of their branches in NY, which was the only state where they had much of a branch network anyway. I banked with HSBC when I was in NY, and wasn't impressed.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not sure why, people complain about the high fees and/or extraordinarily high minimum balance requirements. Also their customer service is notoriously bad. And they have closed or sold many of their branches in NY, which was the only state where they had much of a branch network anyway. I banked with HSBC when I was in NY, and wasn't impressed.
Oh, well thanks for that. What other options are there? Would robin's suggestion for Lloyds in the IOM be a better bet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.