Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Bad news - lost our dog on flight home

Bad news - lost our dog on flight home

Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad news - lost our dog on flight home

Originally Posted by dunroving
- is this true even for a 3-year rabies shot?
I thought Manc1 was referring to 12 mths from the blood test for DEFRA...I have amended my post so it reads a little clearer. Someone said a while ago they almost ran over the 12 mth timeline.

It is true in the US the rabies shot is good for 3 yrs...not sure about other countries.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 26th 2007 at 8:03 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
- is this true even for a 3-year rabies shot?
never heard of the 3yr rabies shot? ours here is just 1 yr and you must not go 1 day past. my pets are due their renewal jan 08 so will ask about the 3yr one.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
never heard of the 3yr rabies shot? ours here is just 1 yr and you must not go 1 day past. my pets are due their renewal jan 08 so will ask about the 3yr one.
For dogs it's 3 yrs...although a few weeks ago we were stopped by Canadian Immigration. They insisted the rabies shots were only valid for 2 yrs.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Here it is:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...37&postcount=2

Correct...although from the US it's tick and tapeworm...not sure about Aus. The blood test after the rabies shot is valid for 12 mths...although if you arrive in the UK 1 day over your pet will be put into quarantine.

Thanks Jerseygirl. Jeeez its a major operation to combine house sale, dog treatments, flights and organizing a house and transportation once you reach your destiny. I suggest it should be mandatory chill out time for 2 weeks for anyone that goes through this.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

For dogs it's 3 yrs...although a few weeks ago we were stopped by Canadian Immigration. They insisted the rabies shots were only valid for 2 yrs.
hmmm will check at my vets here in january...they stipulate 1 year only for cats and dogs on the rabies paperwork, i've just checked it however that may be just for texas.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by manc1
Thanks Jerseygirl. Jeeez its a major operation to combine house sale, dog treatments, flights and organizing a house and transportation once you reach your destiny. I suggest it should be mandatory chill out time for 2 weeks for anyone that goes through this.
Couldn't agree more. I'm sure if you have any questions with any of the above there will be someone on here who will be able to help you. Good luck.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

hmmm will check at my vets here in january...they stipulate 1 year only for cats and dogs on the rabies paperwork, i've just checked it however that may be just for texas.
I wonder if we are getting our wires crossed. Do you mean rabies shots for dogs and cats in general for Texas or are you referring to the DEFRA/Pet PP timeline?
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

I wonder if we are getting our wires crossed. Do you mean rabies shots for dogs and cats in general for Texas or are you referring to the DEFRA/Pet PP timeline?
we could be. i am referring to the rabies shot that is required for pets to come to the usa initially. we have to have it renewed annually and is required by DEFRA to export back to the uk.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

we could be. i am referring to the rabies shot that is required for pets to come to the usa initially. we have to have it renewed annually and is required by DEFRA to export back to the uk.
LOL So was I initially...then got side tracked by Dunroving.

So to clarify...yes for DEFRA the blood test following the rabies shot is valid for 1 yr.

The standard rabies shot given to dogs (not sure about cats) in the US is normally valid for 3 yrs...but this has nothing to do with DEFRA...all dogs/cats in the US have to be vaccinated.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

The standard rabies shot given to dogs (not sure about cats) in the US is normally valid for 3 yrs...but this has nothing to do with DEFRA...all dogs/cats in the US have to be vaccinated.
well i can see that getting a bit complicated