Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Bad news - lost our dog on flight home

Bad news - lost our dog on flight home

Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

barkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nicebarkingRockateer is just really nice
Default Re: Must read if your thinking of taking your dog

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
I understand exactly what you are saying, but its very hard and worrying when you leave them with these kennels!!! We will be in UK when our two fly back next month and I am worried about them, especially as my kelpie i highly stressed at times. Just hoping we have chosen a good kennel/flight...
I havent been online for a while and am now back in the UK for a couple of years before returning to Sydney where two of my children continue to live having refused to come back! What I want to say is that my dogs have done this trip from uk to australia without a problem in fact one of them has done it twice. We collected her from Heathrow 3 weeks ago and she was fit and healthy and very pleased to see us. We always use BA and go through Singapore. I acknowledge that some folk have had bad experiences but keep things in perspective and seek information and reassurance from your carrier. Good luck
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

mike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad news - lost our dog on flight home

Originally Posted by ruok
Thank you for your answer. As your dog gets a health check at the Vet before the flight, one would think that a weak heart or defect would be discovered unless the Vet was not so good. One of the major things before any travel or OP the vet checks is how strong and fit your dogs heart is! So what had happened, is not ok.
If quarantine know why your dog died, a question I would be asking is, was that a heart condition that couldn't of been detected during the final health check, and why or why not?

Bless you all.
Thanks for your concern, the defra vet in the UK has confirmed to us that unfortunately these things can occasionaly happen, as heart defects can sometimes lie undetected.
Alfie flew out to Australia with us from England, and he arrived there without any problems. He didn't have any heart defect detected in the UK before we left, and the same procedure was checked in Australia when he had his rabies vaccination. The kennels had him checked by the same vet before he was due to fly home, and apparantly once again everything was 'fine' (although obviously not)

Jo
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone tell me what sort of cost I would be up for flying my dog back to UK from Brisbane? Medical/flight costs etc. How long do they have to stay in quarantine in UK? Thanks.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manc1
Can anyone tell me what sort of cost I would be up for flying my dog back to UK from Brisbane? Medical/flight costs etc. How long do they have to stay in quarantine in UK? Thanks.
Try the search facility located in the pink bar at the top of the page...there's been loads of threads on the subject. Or read through some of the recent threads...again there are many.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Try the search facility located in the pink bar at the top of the page...there's been loads of threads on the subject. Or read through some of the recent threads...again there are many.

Thanks Jerseygirl, by the way, are you from Jersey in channel islands?
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jerseygirl, by the way, are you from Jersey in channel islands?
I live in New Jersey, USA.

You'll find almost every other thread in this forum discusses taking pets back to the UK. Give me a shout if you have a problem finding them.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

I live in New Jersey, USA.

You'll find almost every other thread in this forum discusses taking pets back to the UK. Give me a shout if you have a problem finding them.

Okay thanks.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Well if I've read it correctly. Once your dog has had his blood sample result you can take him to the UK six months later with no quarantine.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

lorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of light

Well if I've read it correctly. Once your dog has had his blood sample result you can take him to the UK six months later with no quarantine.
yes that's right..6 months exactly from date of blood test (assuming it is clear). If your dog goes earlier then must be quarantined in UK until that date. Still costs a pretty penny though. We are over $3k for one dog from Perth to London. It was going to be another 1700 to Glasgow. Also of note the regulation for the pet crate is different going back than it was coming in so that is another couple of hundred dollars!!
Needs to be at least 12mm ply if wooden and a double wire...ours isn't. Any handy joiners in Perth????
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Did you find the post by Scout dated a couple of days ago? It lists a step by step guide and covers all DEFRA requirements needed for your pet to return to the UK. If you wish to return before the 6 mth timescale your pet will have to go into quarantine in the UK for the remainder of the time.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Just to be pedantic once again, the 6 months does not start from the date of the blood test, it starts from the date the blood sample was drawn for the blood test. So if blood is drawn on February 1st and tested positive on February 14, you can catch the plane home (ship, whatever) on August 1st (you don't have to wait until August 14th).

Other helpful information in this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491513

Last edited by dunroving; Nov 26th 2007 at 2:25 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Sharlene will become famous soon enough

I am so sorry for your loss. I am going to relocate my pug and cat to Northampton and there are only 2 airlines that will take snub nosed dogs; Continental & Thomson Fly. I have been debating whether to take the QM2 which is 6 days and they will only take 12 animals over. Its not easy and I dread something so aweful of happening; so I sympathize with you and your family. Blessings to you all.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Did you find the post by Scout dated a couple of days ago? It lists a step by step guide and covers all DEFRA requirements needed for your pet to return to the UK. If you wish to return before the 6 mth timescale your pet will have to go into quarantine in the UK for the remainder of the time.

I never came across the post by Scout Jerseygirl. One thing I'm not clear about is what if you go back 7, 8, or nine months after the rabies jab. Does that mean you only have to update the tape worm treatment 24 to 48hrs before the flight?
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I never came across the post by Scout Jerseygirl. One thing I'm not clear about is what if you go back 7, 8, or nine months after the rabies jab. Does that mean you only have to update the tape worm treatment 24 to 48hrs before the flight?
Here it is:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...37&postcount=2

Correct...although from the US it's tick and tapeworm...not sure about Aus. The blood test after the rabies shot is valid for 12 mths...although if you arrive in the UK 1 day over your pet will be put into quarantine.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Nov 26th 2007 at 7:36 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:30 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Here it is:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...37&postcount=2

Correct...although from the US it's tick and tapeworm...not sure about Aus. The rabies shot is valid for 12 mths...although if you arrive in the UK 1 day over your pet will be put into quarantine.
- is this true even for a 3-year rabies shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.