Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Bad news - lost our dog on flight home

Wikiposts

Bad news - lost our dog on flight home

Old Sep 18th 2007, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

mike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad news - lost our dog on flight home

Hi all

I have just had a telephone call from the vet in London. She has done the PM, and sadly Alfie had a defect in his heart which has never been detected before and this has caused him to die
They still can't release him until all the blood tests come back clear, (which will take about another week) although their initial tests have shown that he didn't have rabies (which we already knew).

My other 2 dogs came through the flight ok, and apparantly their were plenty of other animals on the same flight who were fine as well.
However, I have ongoing issues with my other 2 dogs that I am unable to discuss on here for the moment - I can say though, that this is nothing at all to do with the flights home.

Thanks once again to all of you for all your kind messages.

Jo & Mike
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice

Originally Posted by mike&jo
Hi all

I have just had a telephone call from the vet in London. She has done the PM, and sadly Alfie had a defect in his heart which has never been detected before and this has caused him to die
They still can't release him until all the blood tests come back clear, (which will take about another week) although their initial tests have shown that he didn't have rabies (which we already knew).

My other 2 dogs came through the flight ok, and apparantly their were plenty of other animals on the same flight who were fine as well.
However, I have ongoing issues with my other 2 dogs that I am unable to discuss on here for the moment - I can say though, that this is nothing at all to do with the flights home.

Jo & Mike
Sorry to hear about Alfie & hope your other 2 recover from their relocation soon. Thoughts with you all as you get through the days to come without your beloved pet.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

So sorry to hear about your news Jo and Mike-sending thoughts your way. One of our dogs has done 3 international flights and it is always a worry. Big big hugs.....
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Jo & Mike
At least you know what happened to poor little Alfie now. My first black and tan Cav. had a heart valve defect. One Saturday morning she seemed to be very tired...she was still the same at lunchtime so I took her to the vet and he confirmed it was her heart. We had known she had valve problems for a couple of years...she was 6 years old. I took her home and she sat on my knee for the rest of the day...she passed away in her sleep at 6.20 that evening.

I also had a Ruby Cav. who died in her sleep of a heart attack...we were on holiday so she died in kennels.

I suppose what I am trying to say is Alfie wouldn't have suffered he would just have become very, very sleepy.

I really feel for you and your family...it is absolutely devastating to lose a beloved pet.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 19th 2007 at 1:55 am.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh so so sorry to hear that - thats too sad
xxx
Old Sep 19th 2007, 3:19 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Jo & Mike
My dog has a heart problem, a narrowing of the aorta and a slightly damaged valve. He must be the most examined dog in the world but no-one spotted the problem with his heart until last year.
He was a rescue puppy and would have been vet checked when he went to the rescue, then he was adopted and checked again. Brought back to the rescue as unmanagable and checked again, hospitalised and constantly checked. Given to us and checked first.
We took him to our vet...checked again.
Operation on his paws...checked again.
Annual check up with vaccinations.
Came over here...checked again.
Signed up with a vet here...full physical.
And then last year they noticed the murmur and he went to an animal hospital for a cardiac ultra sound.
The problem he has is one he would have been born with and no-one understands how so many different vets didn't pick it up.

I know none of that helps but I suppose I'm trying to say that sometimes these things must be very hard to spot.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

We have no idea why or what happened, but Alfie, one of our 2 King charles spaniels died on the flight back to the UK. Apparantly he was fine in Perth and Singapore, but they found him dead in his crate on arrival at Heathrow on Friday morning.
He was only 3 and was my little boys dog. He adored him and he has been inconsolable since we broke the news to him on Friday.

There has to be a full investigation because he was coming into quarantine here. As soon as I know what happened and why, I will let you all know, but he is in London with the ministry at the moment whilst they carry out their routine investigations and procedures.

Jo
Hi Jo,

Thats terrible news. I know what it feels like to lose a dog or two and its heart breaking and I cant even imagine what its like in those circumstances.

I hope that they get to the bottom of it anyway and I hope that you'll all be feeling better in time.

What a sad story.

My regards to you all.

Stu
Old Sep 19th 2007, 6:46 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking about this most of yesterday. It scares me that I too could fly back to the Uk in a few years with my beloved cocker spaniel and he not make it.
I feel so sad for you. It must have been devastating and I don't even want to think about it all too much.
I'm very,very sorry for your loss. Please let us all know how this pans out as there are so many of us on here with pets.
* Just checked your previous update. Poor Alfie. Darling, if it was a heart problem then it's just been waiting to go wrong - could've happened any time. Just such a shame that it was on the flight home. It's heartbreaking.

Thinking of you.
*pearly* x

Last edited by onepearlyb; Sep 19th 2007 at 6:49 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

We have no idea why or what happened, but Alfie, one of our 2 King charles spaniels died on the flight back to the UK. Apparantly he was fine in Perth and Singapore, but they found him dead in his crate on arrival at Heathrow on Friday morning.
He was only 3 and was my little boys dog. He adored him and he has been inconsolable since we broke the news to him on Friday.

There has to be a full investigation because he was coming into quarantine here. As soon as I know what happened and why, I will let you all know, but he is in London with the ministry at the moment whilst they carry out their routine investigations and procedures.

Jo
I am so sorry to hear this sad news.
My heartfelt sympathy to you.
When my dog died, I had these words on his coffin,

"He was part of my dreams, of course. But, then again, I was part of his too"

To remember that gives me some comfort.
God bless

Chrissy
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

mike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond reputemike&jo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks again to each and every one of you for all your kind messages. It's comforting to know that there are so many people out there who understand what we have been going through, and how much animals are part of your family.

We have heard today that Alfie should be released next week sometime, and the lovely people in the quarantine kennels here are trying to arrange for his collection from London on our behalf, and then he is to be cremated.
We are moving into our new house in a couple of weeks, and we are going to bury him in the garden there. Our son Ben has asked for his little red collar, and they have said that won't be a problem (thankfully).

Thanks again

Jo & Mike
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks again to each and every one of you for all your kind messages. It's comforting to know that there are so many people out there who understand what we have been going through, and how much animals are part of your family.

We have heard today that Alfie should be released next week sometime, and the lovely people in the quarantine kennels here are trying to arrange for his collection from London on our behalf, and then he is to be cremated.
We are moving into our new house in a couple of weeks, and we are going to bury him in the garden there. Our son Ben has asked for his little red collar, and they have said that won't be a problem (thankfully).

Thanks again

Jo & Mike
At least you will have some sort of closure. I always buried my dogs at the bottom of the garden...under the old ash tree by the river along with their dish, collar and lead. I had a wooden bench seat there and I would sit and talk to them. :

I hope Ben is feeling a little better now.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
At least you will have some sort of closure. I always buried my dogs at the bottom of the garden...under the old ash tree by the river along with their dish, collar and lead. I had a wooden bench seat there and I would sit and talk to them. :

I hope Ben is feeling a little better now.
Aww, thats a lovely way to remember them.
Yes, Ben is much better now thanks - hes still has his sad moments of course, but that's only to be expected.
The house we are moving into has a lovely garden, so we have decided to bury Alfie at the bottom, under the weeping willow tree.

I thought I would post a little picture of our new addition - I knew we would end up getting one, although I said I never would! But hes only 5 weeks old, so we have to wait a few more weeks yet for him
Attached Thumbnails Bad news - lost our dog on flight home-sp_a0020.jpg  
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought I would post a little picture of our new addition - I knew we would end up getting one, although I said I never would! But hes only 5 weeks old, so we have to wait a few more weeks yet for him
congrats to the new addition, he looks gorgeous
Old Sep 20th 2007, 11:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Aww, thats a lovely way to remember them.
Yes, Ben is much better now thanks - hes still has his sad moments of course, but that's only to be expected.
The house we are moving into has a lovely garden, so we have decided to bury Alfie at the bottom, under the weeping willow tree.

OMG he's lovely...just look at those tiny ears. Thank you for posting the photo.

Whenever I've lost one of my 'girls' I've always got another one straight away...it does help and I'm sure it will be a great help to your son. I love the black and tans...both mine have had exactly the same nature/personality even though one was British and the other America ...very different to the other Cavs. I've had.

He's a lucky pup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.