Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Bad News Britain? It's all exaggerated!

Bad News Britain? It's all exaggerated!

Old Aug 14th 2008, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Location: Back in Scotland after two dreadful years in Brisbane.
maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Bad News Britain? It's all exaggerated!

Originally Posted by love30stm
And thanykou for the nice welcome on here,,,,all I can say is chip on the shoulder....bye all
How many times are you going to say goodbye?

Say it again,I dare you!
Old Aug 14th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
once you learn a little about how this country works, from the water supply, to the telephone network, from transporting goods to the shops to keeping the power supply going, it makes you realise what a fantastic place this is.
I think most developed nations have this sort of thing though. Although I saw the programme and I know what you mean - I have always been amazed at how efficient Britain is. I know superficially it looks like a bag of shite (late, filthy trains, slow response times for emergency services, crap customer service, etc) when you consider how over-crowded Britain is I think a pretty good job is done.

A fair analogy would be if the entire population of Canada was doubled and moved to lower BC - how efficient would it be?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

The UK's OK as far as it goes...however, depends on ones INDIVIDUAL EXPERIENCES (please note OB) as to how ones life was/is elsewhere in the world.

If I had to return to the UK, it would not be the end of the world, but a disappointing turn of events for me personally. My new life here is far superior to the one I had in Scotland. I have returned to the UK at least six times for a few weeks at a time in the last four years and have seen nothing to induce me to return permanently...far from it. Again I amphasise that the above is relative to me personally and in no way could be ascribed to anyone else. That's the trouble with threads like this IMHO...people try to generalise far too much. Decisions to move back etc are usually based on ones INDIVIDUAL circumstances and so cannot be opinions expressed in general terms. For those that move back, best of luck to you all...but you have chosen to do so based on your own circumstances and life experiences elswhere. As for myself, if I had to move back for whatever reason, financially it would be really hard....prices in the UK, (having just returned fron a two week holiday - duty trip, weddings etc) I found pretty horrific and that in itself would make me think lots. Again this post is not a crit of anyone, just a point of view that I have tried to keep objective and balanced.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:36 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
The UK's OK as far as it goes...however, depends on ones INDIVIDUAL EXPERIENCES (please note OB) as to how ones life was/is elsewhere in the world.

If I had to return to the UK, it would not be the end of the world, but a disappointing turn of events for me personally. My new life here is far superior to the one I had in Scotland. I have returned to the UK at least six times for a few weeks at a time in the last four years and have seen nothing to induce me to return permanently...far from it. Again I amphasise that the above is relative to me personally and in no way could be ascribed to anyone else. That's the trouble with threads like this IMHO...people try to generalise far too much. Decisions to move back etc are usually based on ones INDIVIDUAL circumstances and so cannot be opinions expressed in general terms. For those that move back, best of luck to you all...but you have chosen to do so based on your own circumstances and life experiences elswhere. As for myself, if I had to move back for whatever reason, financially it would be really hard....prices in the UK, (having just returned fron a two week holiday - duty trip, weddings etc) I found pretty horrific and that in itself would make me think lots. Again this post is not a crit of anyone, just a point of view that I have tried to keep objective and balanced.

Maybe I didn't actually say so in this particular thread, but I have usually said that things are from MY OWN EXPERIENCES; however, I do still maintain that generally speaking much of what is reported in the media is exaggerated, and sadly, believed by a great many people.......especially those who have no experience of living elsewhere. Also, bad news sells, good news doesn't, and it's easier to find bad news.....people love to be shocked and have something to grumble and chew over.....it's human nature.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Maybe I didn't actually say so in this particular thread, but I have usually said that things are from MY OWN EXPERIENCES; however, I do still maintain that generally speaking much of what is reported in the media is exaggerated, and sadly, believed by a great many people.......especially those who have no experience of living elsewhere. Also, bad news sells, good news doesn't, and it's easier to find bad news.....people love to be shocked and have something to grumble and chew over.....it's human nature.
One thing that comes up again and again on this site and others is the issue of work. It seems that the UK has some extremely good working conditions, with good annual leave and sick-time arrangements, which other nations (particularly US & Canada) seem not to be so hot on. Also, there are lots of jobs in the UK by virtue of the fact there are 60 million people (yeah, and the rest) all in such a small area.

The things that drive people back to Britain are always the same: work and family.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

bubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud of

thank god i read about people having something positive to say about uk!
i have house on market and business for sale and cannot wait to get back!my hubby went back to test the waters a few weeks ago and loved it .he has seen a shop we want to open and a house that backs on to countryside!
but i am really scared .been here 7 years and to start all over again ,but the amount of people from uk that i speak to that want to tell you about all the shootings .....and over run with polish people.dont english peole realise they are in some one elses country here ?
when i am at my lowest i get in this site and know i am not on my own and it gives me strengh to go through with going back .
Old Aug 15th 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubbles08
i have house on market and business for sale and cannot wait to get back!my hubby went back to test the waters a few weeks ago and loved it .he has seen a shop we want to open and a house that backs on to countryside!
but i am really scared .been here 7 years and to start all over again ,but the amount of people from uk that i speak to that want to tell you about all the shootings .....and over run with polish people.dont english peole realise they are in some one elses country here ?
when i am at my lowest i get in this site and know i am not on my own and it gives me strengh to go through with going back .

Good luck with your return to the UK, it's not as bad as the papers paint it out to be. We have seen an increase in the amount of Poles coming to our town, but I wouldn't say we've been overrun. I still prefer living here to London, where I originally come from. My kids have had a much better quality of life as a result. Main downside is that the weather sucks! We've not even had what I'd call a summer this year
Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
Good luck with your return to the UK, it's not as bad as the papers paint it out to be. We have seen an increase in the amount of Poles coming to our town, but I wouldn't say we've been overrun. I still prefer living here to London, where I originally come from. My kids have had a much better quality of life as a result. Main downside is that the weather sucks! We've not even had what I'd call a summer this year
Have to say that the only Polish person I have ever had trouble with is one living in Australia....she told me that "her country" didn't like filthy English people and I ought to go home
Old Aug 16th 2008, 3:40 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bubbles
Good luck with your return......please don't listen to all the bad news...it really isn't like that. I'm in Greater Manchester and have yet to meet any Polish people, and if I did, what would it matter? We're all people for gawd's sake.........and I'd rather be here than back in that narrow-mined little town in Canada.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:38 pm
jonah

jonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud ofjonah38 has much to be proud of

My advise would be - not to listen to other peoples advise!

However, keep away from Iraq, Afghanistan and Georgia and go back to the relative peace and serenity of the UK. Gun crime in comparison is far lower in the UK than these war torn countries - apparently!

Stop reading any of the UK papers or watching anything on the BBC because its all doom and gloom.

The most important thing i would ask of all those returning to the UK is please please please stop watching Eastenders, Coronation Street and Emerdale, jerramy Kyle, Rikki Lake etc etc etc. Seriously, these programs have more doom and gloom in them than life itself. The reason for that is because they are made and produced to keep you watching and to make your lives feel a whole lot better just because some actor/sad yocal has cancer, lost his home, gone bankrupt, lost his lottery ticket, got divorced, got crabs, found out his dad is gay and his mum isnt really his mum but his nan is etc etc etc.

Meanwhile you subconsiously sit there watching this drivel day in day out and hey presto your life seems fantastic as it is! Think about it the next time you watch one of these aweful programs. There are at least 5 or 6 little depressing issues in each program that subconciously and phychologically mess with your head.

Sad to say but people do actually spend more time on these programs and run there lives on what bianca is up to and who is shagging who in corry or how dreadful that young girls life is on Jerremy etc etc etc. Sad Sad Sad.

If ya have to watch the TV all day/night then watch some natural history programs, widlife programs, sports programs or anything that has an uplifting and positive effect on you that makes you laugh or smile.

Do not return back to the UK and pick up doing the very same stuff that you did before you left because before long you will have the 'ive had enough of this country' sketch again.

Food for thought if ya get what i mean
Old Aug 17th 2008, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Food for thought if ya get what i mean
If you like eating a sh1te sandwich, then yes, I guess it is!
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jonah38;6686487]My advise would be - not to listen to other peoples advise!

However, keep away from Iraq, Afghanistan and Georgia and go back to the relative peace and serenity of the UK. Gun crime in comparison is far lower in the UK than these war torn countries - apparently!

Stop reading any of the UK papers or watching anything on the BBC because its all doom and gloom.

The most important thing i would ask of all those returning to the UK is please please please stop watching Eastenders, Coronation Street and Emerdale, jerramy Kyle, Rikki Lake etc etc etc. Seriously, these programs have more doom and gloom in them than life itself. The reason for that is because they are made and produced to keep you watching and to make your lives feel a whole lot better just because some actor/sad yocal has cancer, lost his home, gone bankrupt, lost his lottery ticket, got divorced, got crabs, found out his dad is gay and his mum isnt really his mum but his nan is etc etc etc.

Meanwhile you subconsiously sit there watching this drivel day in day out and hey presto your life seems fantastic as it is! Think about it the next time you watch one of these aweful programs. There are at least 5 or 6 little depressing issues in each program that subconciously and phychologically mess with your head.

Sad to say but people do actually spend more time on these programs and run there lives on what bianca is up to and who is shagging who in corry or how dreadful that young girls life is on Jerremy etc etc etc. Sad Sad Sad.

If ya have to watch the TV all day/night then watch some natural history programs, widlife programs, sports programs or anything that has an uplifting and positive effect on you that makes you laugh or smile.

Do not return back to the UK and pick up doing the very same stuff that you did before you left because before long you will have the 'ive had enough of this country' sketch again.

Food for thought if ya get what i mean[/QUOTE

Thats very true and quite good advice all those kind of programmes are absolute crap IMO and do nothing for your brain function I remember watching everything English in Oz and what a mistake that is when you are feeling low. Both me and OH are doing totally different jobs now and as far as telly is concerned I hardly every watch it!!! (must admit I still watch Eastenders)...

We do different stuff with the kids now as they are older and we try (even in this crap weather) to get out more and do sight seeing, walking etc.

Yeh dont fall into the old life unless it was a brilll one it will soon leave you wondering with the "now I know why I left in the first place" syndrome...