Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Back a week and soooo happy!!!

Back a week and soooo happy!!!

Old May 25th 2012, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all
Thumbs up Back a week and soooo happy!!!

Okay so back home after 3.5 years away. In my house - which was rented out and the tenants had really looked after it well. Some wear and tear but no more than if I had lived there. Friend took delivery of furniture so house looked lovely when I opened the door.

Another friend picked me and the three dogs up from Heathrow and drove us home. Fish and chip supper! She stayed over with me and had brought provisions for a cuppa and breakfast. The next day she drove back to Wiltshire and two more friends arrived to help with unpacking the boxes. Currys delivered TV and fridge freezer at 8 am and tesco delivered groceries at 2.40 pm. By 3 pm I was shattered so friends left.

The last week has been hard work. When not unpacking boxes, I have been on the phone sorting out various bits of paperwork.

BT modem arrived Tuesday and I was connected to the world again. The broadband set up was so simple. No router or complicated set up. Just plugged in and was up and running in 2 mins.

Wednesday I caught the bus into Lincoln and a friend picked me up and took me car shopping. I made my choice and picking it up on Tuesday next week.

Disappointed with the packing of my goods. Broken Denby flan dish, broken trim on DVD cabinet, cracked glass on expensive framed watercolor, castor fittings smashed and castors missing on 2 rolling plastic totes, smashed lid on another tote...

Friends and neighbors have been fantastic. Lots of help and warm welcomes. Had some very positive customer service experiences. Noticed how polite people are and also In rural Linconshire very friendly. In some respects seems like I have only been away a couple of weeks. Same postie!

Car insurance has cost me half what I was paying in Canada. Swinton found me an insurer that accepted my letter of experience from my Canadian insurance company. House insurance is 50% cheaper than in Canada. Ditto tv license and phone/Internet. Council tax is also cheaper. I know gas, electricity and petrol. will be more expensive. Hard at this point to say how grocery prices compare but dairy and mushrooms are noticeably cheaper! Smaller sizes of packs of everything. Great for us singles.

I know I am riding high on the euphoria of bacon butties and fish and chips but I feel as if I am in the right place. I thought that I might have missed something about Canada .... Just my relations though.

We hear a lot of doom and gloom about Britain but the sense of humor is still there, the eccentricity, the history and culture, the beautiful countryside and the BBC.

There is a lot of buzz re the jubilee and the Olympics.

Hope this posting helps to reassure anyone moving back. It is quite daunting I know. Good luck to anyone travelling home
Old May 25th 2012, 8:29 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back a week and soooo happy!!!

Glad you are settling in.

Time to change that forum profile location
Old May 25th 2012, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

Great to hear you are settling in ok. Keep us posted
Old May 25th 2012, 9:41 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Great post. Glad you are settling in nicely. I'll be following in your footsteps in less that 2 months. Can't wait. Keep us posted
Old May 25th 2012, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Thanks so much for the update. Good to know all is well. Look forward to reading more
Old May 26th 2012, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Moggiemiss
Okay so back home after 3.5 years away. In my house - which was rented out and the tenants had really looked after it well. Some wear and tear but no more than if I had lived there. Friend took delivery of furniture so house looked lovely when I opened the door.

Another friend picked me and the three dogs up from Heathrow and drove us home. Fish and chip supper! She stayed over with me and had brought provisions for a cuppa and breakfast. The next day she drove back to Wiltshire and two more friends arrived to help with unpacking the boxes. Currys delivered TV and fridge freezer at 8 am and tesco delivered groceries at 2.40 pm. By 3 pm I was shattered so friends left.

The last week has been hard work. When not unpacking boxes, I have been on the phone sorting out various bits of paperwork.

BT modem arrived Tuesday and I was connected to the world again. The broadband set up was so simple. No router or complicated set up. Just plugged in and was up and running in 2 mins.

Wednesday I caught the bus into Lincoln and a friend picked me up and took me car shopping. I made my choice and picking it up on Tuesday next week.

Disappointed with the packing of my goods. Broken Denby flan dish, broken trim on DVD cabinet, cracked glass on expensive framed watercolor, castor fittings smashed and castors missing on 2 rolling plastic totes, smashed lid on another tote...

Friends and neighbors have been fantastic. Lots of help and warm welcomes. Had some very positive customer service experiences. Noticed how polite people are and also In rural Linconshire very friendly. In some respects seems like I have only been away a couple of weeks. Same postie!

Car insurance has cost me half what I was paying in Canada. Swinton found me an insurer that accepted my letter of experience from my Canadian insurance company. House insurance is 50% cheaper than in Canada. Ditto tv license and phone/Internet. Council tax is also cheaper. I know gas, electricity and petrol. will be more expensive. Hard at this point to say how grocery prices compare but dairy and mushrooms are noticeably cheaper! Smaller sizes of packs of everything. Great for us singles.

I know I am riding high on the euphoria of bacon butties and fish and chips but I feel as if I am in the right place. I thought that I might have missed something about Canada .... Just my relations though.

We hear a lot of doom and gloom about Britain but the sense of humor is still there, the eccentricity, the history and culture, the beautiful countryside and the BBC.

There is a lot of buzz re the jubilee and the Olympics.

Hope this posting helps to reassure anyone moving back. It is quite daunting I know. Good luck to anyone travelling home
Congrats and I am happy that things are running smoothly. I will send you a PM to catch up.
Old May 26th 2012, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

Thanks for your comments. Will keep you posted. Living overseas has taught me the importance of roots, history and culture and your friends (and family if you have family). I value the experience but am glad to feel I belong again
Old May 26th 2012, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Moggiemiss
Thanks for your comments. Will keep you posted. Living overseas has taught me the importance of roots, history and culture and your friends (and family if you have family). I value the experience but am glad to feel I belong again
That is very true word.
Old May 26th 2012, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Moggiemiss

I'm live in Sleaford in Lincolnshire, is that anywhere near you? Well I'm in Vegas at the moment but will get to go back in 2.5 years:-)

Did you know the Olympic Touch is going through Sleaford on the 27th of June, so it will be in other areas of Lincolshire around those dates.

We are going on hols to the UK in 3 weeks, for 3 weeks and will be visiting Sleaford and Lincoln - can't wait:-)

I hear its sunny there today, so enjoy the weather and being home.
Old May 26th 2012, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your return. Do you mind sharing what car you purchased?
Old May 26th 2012, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting, just returned yesterday from a holiday in England and I can so relate, I loved it and also the fish and chips and bacon butties, no bacon like that in Canada! I also felt completely at home when I was there and when I landed in Vancouver yesterday, I did not feel that uplift! I loved the buzz there with the festivities and the Union Jack everywhere and sense of national pride! Wishing you the best for future days ahead!
Old May 27th 2012, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Thanks for posting, just returned yesterday from a holiday in England and I can so relate, I loved it and also the fish and chips and bacon butties, no bacon like that in Canada! I also felt completely at home when I was there and when I landed in Vancouver yesterday, I did not feel that uplift! I loved the buzz there with the festivities and the Union Jack everywhere and sense of national pride! Wishing you the best for future days ahead!
Hi Moggie miss

Glad to hear your story.....are you planning on a job- I would be interested to know your thoughts and experience on the job market!!! MMMMMM real bacon I am jealous!!
Old May 27th 2012, 11:39 pm
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold

OOOOHHH!!! Congratulations!!! I'm so so so excited for you! It's wonderful that everything feels right- I feel like that's the most important thing!
Old May 29th 2012, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
Hi Moggiemiss

I'm live in Sleaford in Lincolnshire, is that anywhere near you? Well I'm in Vegas at the moment but will get to go back in 2.5 years:-)

Did you know the Olympic Touch is going through Sleaford on the 27th of June, so it will be in other areas of Lincolshire around those dates.

We are going on hols to the UK in 3 weeks, for 3 weeks and will be visiting Sleaford and Lincoln - can't wait:-)

I hear its sunny there today, so enjoy the weather and being home.
I am in horncastle .... Know sleaford very well. Sun came out late today but still a good day. Yes Olympic torch coming through our county. I am so happy to be back
Old May 29th 2012, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Congratulations on your return. Do you mind sharing what car you purchased?
I bought a Hyundai i20 active 1.2 liter. I had a Hyundai accent in Canada which is the same car. I loved it so much i wanted another but I could not get automatic. An i20 automatic was beyond my budget brand new. I did love the i10 and automatic was within budget but none available till early July. No Ex-demonstrators available and wanted a reliable motor. I drove the new car home today and felt ok driving manual gears.

5 year warranty, 5 year RAC recovery and there was about 10% discount on the list price. Got mats and half a tank of petrol cos I paid cash.

My friend who drive me round the showrooms is a real German engineering freak but he was converted to Hyundai quality.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.