Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Back in the UK...nearly 3 years on!!

Back in the UK...nearly 3 years on!!

Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back in the UK...nearly 3 years on!!

That sounds great. The national parks here are awesome and NYC is a great city. I have been to NYC twice. I have been to Florida twice and the keys are lovely. If you get a chance you must do NASA. My husband works for the Air Force and he said that trip is great, he just came back and he said when our little boy is a little older he is taking him there. I have never been to Miami. All the state parks have websites so look them up and you can also get free info sent to you from the tourist boards for each State. Just go to the State page then look for visitors guide and fill in the form and they will send you one.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:52 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE
That sounds great. The national parks here are awesome and NYC is a great city. I have been to NYC twice. I have been to Florida twice and the keys are lovely. If you get a chance you must do NASA. My husband works for the Air Force and he said that trip is great, he just came back and he said when our little boy is a little older he is taking him there. I have never been to Miami. All the state parks have websites so look them up and you can also get free info sent to you from the tourist boards for each State. Just go to the State page then look for visitors guide and fill in the form and they will send you one.
Thanks for all the info
Old Mar 16th 2007, 11:21 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyray
We are going to the Gulf coast for two weeks (but only visiting the parks once or twice for the children!) will be driving around a lot, Miami, The Keys and then we fly to NY for a week. We are staying in an old Victorain house in Brooklyn.

best hol I ever had was a month in Florida, starting off with the usual theme part stuff with the rest of time time driving down to the keys via Miami and then up the gulf coast to Tampa, loved it. Hope you have a lovely time.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
best hol I ever had was a month in Florida, starting off with the usual theme part stuff with the rest of time time driving down to the keys via Miami and then up the gulf coast to Tampa, loved it. Hope you have a lovely time.
It's one of my favourite places. We have a place in Fort Myers and I was sure that when I lived in Canada I would have easier access to Florida and would be able to enjoy my summers down there but no, that never happened. I can't wait to get back to England so I can enjoy my holidays in Fort Myers again.

Last edited by fishfinger; Mar 17th 2007 at 5:11 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

karaokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya!! If I'm completly honest I dont miss much about Perth at all. I suppose I miss going to the wonderful beach at Hillarys but even that became normal and mundane after a while.

I love being back here, I love the weather BUT have found myself just lately wishing for the rain to stop, but thats taken three years! After leaving OZ I didnt mind what the weather did as long as I didn't boil alive!!

It was definitely the right thing for us to do...moving back has been great...honestly. We are ordinary people with an ordinary family who like everyone else wanted better for their children, but what is better is being somewhere the whole family wants to be, not somewhere mum and dad want to be! Although I wanted to come home just as much as our daughter did!!

We don't have flash cars here, we don't live in a massive house. We have a mortgage and work to get by like everyone else. We are however enjoying our lives and like the area where we live. Our daughter has fixed friends now and is happy in the thought that she can go to the 'big school' with a best friend. Something thats taken her three years to get back is a 'best friend'.

We are off on holiday to America for three weeks this year and looking forward to that. We want to return to Australia on a holiday probably in 2008/9 but will visit the east coast, barrier reef etc but this time it will be 'just a visit'.

I do pop on here sometimes, but not as a craving to return to OZy person. I'm lucky I suppose in that we enjoyed most of our time in Perth, had a great time coming back (travelling) and are having a good life now, I can sit back and think about our time in Perth without the wish to return.

Everywhere has it's ups and downs and if I'm honest the only down in my life right now if the lack of time I have during one day, I'm so busy, after living an 'early retirement style boring' 16 months in Perth though I know which lifestyle I'd choose anyday!

Take care
Hi

Its so good to hear stories like yours. I recently put my foot down after 11 years in NZ and OZ and we have moved to Dubai and hopefully going to buy a property in Leeds as an investment and for staying in during summer months. Honestly I feel so much happier out of that place, you were right with the boring retirement lifestyle. Here is party after party I feel alive again, its a happy medium for us, like most people we have lost money hand over fist in this persuit of the promise land and its going to take a while to get back - I don't miss anything, mostly I'm just relieved I'm not there anymore.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:45 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karaokeM
Hi

Its so good to hear stories like yours. I recently put my foot down after 11 years in NZ and OZ and we have moved to Dubai and hopefully going to buy a property in Leeds as an investment and for staying in during summer months. Honestly I feel so much happier out of that place, you were right with the boring retirement lifestyle. Here is party after party I feel alive again, its a happy medium for us, like most people we have lost money hand over fist in this persuit of the promise land and its going to take a while to get back - I don't miss anything, mostly I'm just relieved I'm not there anymore.
Wondered where you had got to.....out of Oz at last eh?? Lucky thing!!!

Good to know some people escape ok!!!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 11:45 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Hi

Blimey from one hot place to a furnace!! I've heard Dubai is lovely though and I hope to visit someday...soon Retirement Perth/Oz ok for some but definitely not for me!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

That's a good idea buying an investment property for the summer. How are the prices in Leeds and in the north these days? I am from Conrwall orginally but everything there is overpriced.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 5:24 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Thanks for all the info
Florida's closed until further notice....bloody foreigners :curse:

Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:12 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi there KaraokeM - wow didnt know you had left Oz. I know you were unhappy there but hadn't realised you got out of there! You certainly sound like you are having more fun in Dubai
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:18 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

We are going to the Gulf coast for two weeks (but only visiting the parks once or twice for the children!) will be driving around a lot, Miami, The Keys and then we fly to NY for a week. We are staying in an old Victorain house in Brooklyn.

Sounds fantastic! The Keys are one of my favourite places and I'd love to see NY - am so jealous now. Our goal now is to get back to holidaying in the States - I'm off out now to buy some more lottery tickets - enjoy
Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes, during the winter the rain becomes a pain, but only because I ride a lot and get wet!! I'd rather ride and get wet though than ride and melt

Honestly though, theres no perfect place with the weather to match so we just have to get on with it dont we
I love it when people discuss weather! Noone is ever happy with weather - you hated the heat but now you wish the rain would stop.

I get a tad bored with Melbourne's heat by March, one day of drought breaking rain and I'm looking forward to a sunny day....(although my head tells me I want the rain to continue - isn't it amazing how qiuickly it all comes back green in days!)

It's in our nature to want to be just right - we're warm blooded and we need to maintain our core temps at fairly low extremes lets face it. In my opinion there's only a few countries in temperature climates which have the right weather at some point.

It's the UK in about May, lots of light, still not the July August ''rainy'' season, and Melbourne about March-April or say Sep-Oct. Other candidates would be the Med in spring/summer.......
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:11 pm
home again, home again

[QUOTE=BadgeIsBack;4588771]

Glad you are ok Badge, hows the little one (oh err!) Child of course!