Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Back in the UK...nearly 3 years on!!

Back in the UK...nearly 3 years on!!

Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:28 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Back in the UK...nearly 3 years on!!

Originally Posted by woodyinoz

I guess that you have had a little one since returning as your horse has vanished?
Congratsx
Yes, little boy is 17 months now! Horses still around though!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:30 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10

As you know I am from your neck of the woods and so looking forward to coming home.4 weeks to go and counting.

Good luck. The first few weeks are the strangest I think. I wasn't sure where we were really suppose to be? I knew I didn't want to live in Aus but wasn't really sure of anything. We had to live with my parents for a few months though so that was tougher than the normal!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:32 pm
home again, home again

Originally Posted by heading downunder 2002
Janey, lovely to hear your update and to hear that everything is going great for you and your family.

Likewise we have never regretted returning and we are enjoying life.

Susan
Glad to hear you are ok. Nice when things go well on the return isn't it.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:34 pm
home again, home again

Thanks to everyone for your messages. I wish everyone who's returning good wishes, I'm sure you'll be settled back into things sooner than you think.

To those who have to stay, or for now at least, try and think of it as more of an adventure, a long holiday but you will return...... Says she who use to go and meet hubby on his diiner break, in a pair of dark glasses and cry until he wished his lunch break were over!!!
Old Mar 9th 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyray
Good luck. The first few weeks are the strangest I think. I wasn't sure where we were really suppose to be? I knew I didn't want to live in Aus but wasn't really sure of anything. We had to live with my parents for a few months though so that was tougher than the normal!
Thanks Janey.I am totally confused at the moment.
We will be stopping with my Mum for a while although it may be hard I will try and take the time to contemplate on what we have done and decide whats next.Things will be strange for some time I am sure and I may feel like you that I don't belong anywhere.Only time will tell.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 11:11 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

glad to hear things are going so well for you janey
i remember you posting when i first joined, and thanks to you and other posters we have given our move to aus some very serious though and have aproached it with a ''its not forever'' attitude ... its an adventure that we can 'come home' from if we dont settle.

good luck, and congratulations on the birth of your little un

sue x
Old Mar 10th 2007, 7:53 am
home again, home again

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
glad to hear things are going so well for you janey
i remember you posting when i first joined, and thanks to you and other posters we have given our move to aus some very serious though and have aproached it with a ''its not forever'' attitude ... its an adventure that we can 'come home' from if we dont settle.

good luck, and congratulations on the birth of your little un

sue x
Hi,
I remember you. Did you ever make it to OZ? I know you were going but then things went a bit pear shaped didn't they?

Jane
Old Mar 12th 2007, 10:47 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I remember you. Did you ever make it to OZ? I know you were going but then things went a bit pear shaped didn't they?

Jane

lol ... thats understatement of the year!!
im currently looking after my old mum who had a stroke about 14 months ago, so plans to go to aus went well and truly pear shaped!! we are heading out for a holiday in may though ... think we have earned it

glad to hear 'home' is home again,
take care
sue x
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Janey,

Glad to hear that you're happy in your life back in blighty!

I'm quite jealous of you right now, we've only been in Perth for 3 months but I'm already wanting to go home! Sure the beaches and weather etc are great but that doesn't compensate for missing all of our family and friends in the UK. Many people say that you haven't given it enough time etc or that you should wait the full 2 years to get citizenship etc, I can see thier point but you cant just stay somewhere because it may make it easier in the long run if you want to come back! Don't get me wrong, I have good days and bad days here but this place isn't home and I feel that it never will be without friends and family etc. I even miss the UK weather which is crazy!!

My OH's family are all going to Greece in June for her brothers wedding and it breaks my heart that we cant be there, but you never know, we may be back in blighty by then! lol

I start my first day at work tomorrow over here which isnt helping but I think I'd rather be starting a new job back in England.

Time will tell I suppose.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 6:22 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wafc
Well done Janey,

I'm quite jealous of you right now, we've only been in Perth for 3 months but I'm already wanting to go home! Sure the beaches and weather etc are great but that doesn't compensate for missing all of our family and friends in the UK. Many people say that you haven't given it enough time etc or that you should wait the full 2 years to get citizenship etc, I can see thier point but you cant just stay somewhere because it may make it easier in the long run if you want to come back! Don't get me wrong, I have good days and bad days here but this place isn't home and I feel that it never will be without friends and family etc. I even miss the UK weather which is crazy!!

Isn't it amazing the things you miss that you didn't think you would?

We came here thinking we'd be able to control those homesick feelings. After all, we're grown ups for goodness sake!!!

You are just one of many many people who are not enjoying life here as much as they thought. If you feel you don't want to stay, then don't. I am shackled by circumstance, so can't go back just yet. The only thing I would say though, if you go back after a short length of time you may well start to have the ping-pong feelings of "Did we give it enough time?" "Did we try hard enough?". If it really isn't for you and you can't see yourself living the rest of your life without your family with you, and you miss too much from the UK I would say go back sooner rather than later.

Just as a bit of info; we had friends who moved out here the same time as us (July 2004). They travelled all over Aus for ages trying to find somewhere to settle, didn't like most of it for one reason or another, eventually settled in Perth. They bought a house, got jobs etc etc and moved back after about 8 months I think. They are loving their lives back in the UK as it has given them another perspective and they see their homeland through different eyes now and the LOVE being back home. That's saying a lot because they hated it before!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Isn't it amazing the things you miss that you didn't think you would?

We came here thinking we'd be able to control those homesick feelings. After all, we're grown ups for goodness sake!!!

You are just one of many many people who are not enjoying life here as much as they thought. If you feel you don't want to stay, then don't. I am shackled by circumstance, so can't go back just yet. The only thing I would say though, if you go back after a short length of time you may well start to have the ping-pong feelings of "Did we give it enough time?" "Did we try hard enough?". If it really isn't for you and you can't see yourself living the rest of your life without your family with you, and you miss too much from the UK I would say go back sooner rather than later.

Just as a bit of info; we had friends who moved out here the same time as us (July 2004). They travelled all over Aus for ages trying to find somewhere to settle, didn't like most of it for one reason or another, eventually settled in Perth. They bought a house, got jobs etc etc and moved back after about 8 months I think. They are loving their lives back in the UK as it has given them another perspective and they see their homeland through different eyes now and the LOVE being back home. That's saying a lot because they hated it before!
Hi Tracey,

If we went back I'm quite sure that we would have the feelings of "Did we give it enough time" etc as I'm an indecisive bugger at the best of times! I would also no doubt regret not getting citizenship considering the amount of money/stress that it took to get to this point, but to stay here suffering for 2 years just to get it would be crazy. Like you're friends, I was also beginning to hate the UK before we left but I think I would look at it differently now. All that crap traffic and bad weather etc is just home to me now and tbh I'll be looking forward to it! I'll still get fed up of the traffic after a while though and the amount of idiots on the streets, plus I'm sure that I'd get a bit fed up of the weather again but missing family and friends will never go away and I think thats the main thing.

Plus I'm starting to miss all sorts of things, things like missing going to the football every saturday and even Soccer AM on a sat morning! (I know I'm a typical bloke! lol). I'd also give anything to walk round Tesco's! I think I've lost the plot at times but I'm sure many people go through it.

I'm going to see how things go with the new job tomorrow and for a few days and then we'll decide what we plan to do.

Last edited by wafc; Mar 14th 2007 at 7:42 am.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:08 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tracey,

If we went back I'm quite sure that we would have the feelings of "Did we give it enough time" etc as I'm an indecisive bugger at the best of times! I would also no doubt regret not getting citizenship considering the amount of money/stress that it took to get to this point, but to stay here suffering for 2 years just to get it would be crazy. Like you're friends, I was also beginning to hate the UK before we left but I think I would look at it differently now. All that crap traffic and bad weather etc is just home to me now and tbh I'll be looking forward to it! I'll still get fed up of the traffic after a while though and the amount of idiots on the streets, plus I'm sure that I'd get a bit fed up of the weather again but missing family and friends will never go away and I think thats the main thing.

Plus I'm starting to miss all sorts of things, things like missing going to the football every saturday and even Soccer AM on a sat morning! (I know I'm a typical bloke! lol). I'd also give anything to walk round Tesco's! I think I've lost the plot at times but I'm sure many people go through it.

I'm going to see how things go with the new job tomorrow and for a few days and then we'll decide what we plan to do.
even if I don't understand those feelings having never had them, they are perfectly normal. Emigrating doesn't suit everyone.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 8:02 pm
home again, home again

Well done Janey,

Glad to hear that you're happy in your life back in blighty!

My OH's family are all going to Greece in June for her brothers wedding and it breaks my heart that we cant be there, but you never know, we may be back in blighty by then! lol

I start my first day at work tomorrow over here which isnt helping but I think I'd rather be starting a new job back in England.

Time will tell I suppose.
I know just how you feel and there nothing anyone can say that will make you like Perth/Australia better, you either like it or you don't. I don't think living in a different country can 'grow on you' it's not something I think for a minute you can 'get use to'. No matter how long you stay somewhere if you want to be home strongly enough then home normally wins.

I worked for Telstra for a bit, not that was awful! Good luck in your new job, I'm sure it will be far better than the job I had!!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya!! If I'm completly honest I dont miss much about Perth at all. I suppose I miss going to the wonderful beach at Hillarys but even that became normal and mundane after a while.

I love being back here, I love the weather BUT have found myself just lately wishing for the rain to stop, but thats taken three years! After leaving OZ I didnt mind what the weather did as long as I didn't boil alive!!

It was definitely the right thing for us to do...moving back has been great...honestly. We are ordinary people with an ordinary family who like everyone else wanted better for their children, but what is better is being somewhere the whole family wants to be, not somewhere mum and dad want to be! Although I wanted to come home just as much as our daughter did!!

We don't have flash cars here, we don't live in a massive house. We have a mortgage and work to get by like everyone else. We are however enjoying our lives and like the area where we live. Our daughter has fixed friends now and is happy in the thought that she can go to the 'big school' with a best friend. Something thats taken her three years to get back is a 'best friend'.

We are off on holiday to America for three weeks this year and looking forward to that. We want to return to Australia on a holiday probably in 2008/9 but will visit the east coast, barrier reef etc but this time it will be 'just a visit'.

I do pop on here sometimes, but not as a craving to return to OZy person. I'm lucky I suppose in that we enjoyed most of our time in Perth, had a great time coming back (travelling) and are having a good life now, I can sit back and think about our time in Perth without the wish to return.

Everywhere has it's ups and downs and if I'm honest the only down in my life right now if the lack of time I have during one day, I'm so busy, after living an 'early retirement style boring' 16 months in Perth though I know which lifestyle I'd choose anyday!

Take care
What part of the States are you visiting?

I'm glad you are enjoying life at home and have no regrets about going to Oz then leaving again.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 7:39 pm
home again, home again

Originally Posted by JULIEROSE
What part of the States are you visiting?

I'm glad you are enjoying life at home and have no regrets about going to Oz then leaving again.

We are going to the Gulf coast for two weeks (but only visiting the parks once or twice for the children!) will be driving around a lot, Miami, The Keys and then we fly to NY for a week. We are staying in an old Victorain house in Brooklyn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.