Back in UK after 15 Years

Old Jun 8th 2017, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Saigon456 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Back in UK after 15 Years

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you have a counterpart then you would have had a photocard to go with it. The counterpart was scrapped a couple of years ago. The photocard is now a standalone document (sort of). Could you have exchanged your photocard for a foreign licence of some description?
I honestly don't remember ever having a photocard or exchanging it for a foreign license but it's possible I guess.

But I should be able to use this counterpart to get a new photocard right?
Old Jun 8th 2017, 12:43 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saigon456
Hi,

I'm going back to the UK after a long time in Vietnam. I have...

- No bank account.
- Outstanding student loans from 2002.
- No credit history etc.
- No National Insurance card.
- An old style fold out drivers license.

Cheers.
Bank - try HSBC from abroad - HSBC Life events - Settling in the UK | HSBC Bank UK
Credit history - you're cattle-trucked, be prepared to front cash.
Driving license - https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence
Old Jun 9th 2017, 7:42 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't remember ever having a photocard or exchanging it for a foreign license but it's possible I guess.

But I should be able to use this counterpart to get a new photocard right?
Yes, it'll have your driving licence number on it. If you don't a foreign licence to exchange then you can report your photocard lost and get a replacement.
Old Jun 10th 2017, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I have an HSBC account in Vietnam but as mentioned before they don't allow international bank transfers here as far as I'm aware.

If my wife brought 60,000GBP with her, declared it, and proved it was from a property sale in Vietnam, would she have to pay taxes on it (or other charges) on entry?
Old Jun 13th 2017, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MonsterP
I've asked both my local council and the school to see if I can register my Son, assuming he will be here on X date, roughly. They both refuse and say they cannot do anything until he's physically living here. Makes sense, as they have students coming and going, people moving in and out of the areas.

You'll discover that the school places are a lot tighter, even over-subscribed, compared with 10+ years ago.
My local council say I can get going on my son's school application if I know the address I will be moving to and also am certain about the “date school place required”.

However, I need proof of address. I will be living with my parents whilst I'm settling in. I have my counterpart driving license but need one more of the following...

- Driving License
- Child Benefit/Tax Credits letter
- Employer's letter which states your name and address
- Medical card
- Job centre/National Insurance letter
- HMRC letter
- Confirmation of registration on the electoral roll
Looks like my best bet is one of the last three. Does anyone have any experience of getting these whilst being outside of the UK?
Old Jun 13th 2017, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

My local council say I can get going on my son's school application if I know the address I will be moving to and also am certain about the “date school place required”.

However, I need proof of address. I will be living with my parents whilst I'm settling in. I have my counterpart driving license but need one more of the following...

- Driving License
- Child Benefit/Tax Credits letter
- Employer's letter which states your name and address
- Medical card
- Job centre/National Insurance letter
- HMRC letter
- Confirmation of registration on the electoral roll

Looks like my best bet is one of the last three. Does anyone have any experience of getting these whilst being outside of the UK?
I've looked at this for our son moving to England to initially live with us. He is moving over in September but to get any of the last three before arriving here would require entering false information such as "Date you became resident" on the form applying for a NI number.

He will have to do the same as we did last year and do those things immediately after arriving.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

chipsncurry is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish you luck. With a NI number presumably one can start work right away?
Old Jun 13th 2017, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I've looked at this for our son moving to England to initially live with us. He is moving over in September but to get any of the last three before arriving here would require entering false information such as "Date you became resident" on the form applying for a NI number.

He will have to do the same as we did last year and do those things immediately after arriving.
So I guess I'm just gonna have to apply really late for a school place and hope for the best. It will probably be late July when I eventually get everything in place to start the process.

Is your son trying to send a child to school in September?
Old Jun 13th 2017, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

So I guess I'm just gonna have to apply really late for a school place and hope for the best. It will probably be late July when I eventually get everything in place to start the process.

Is your son trying to send a child to school in September?
Fortunately he has no children to worry about. He does want to get a job and buy a house asap. He has an HSBC account in the USA and has just moved his house buying money, $120,000 into it, hoping to be able to open an HSBC UK account before he arrives.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chipsncurry
I wish you luck. With a NI number presumably one can start work right away?
Even without a NI number I believe you can start work right away, one will be issued asap. I asked about this at our local Jobs Centre recently.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Even without a NI number I believe you can start work right away, one will be issued asap. I asked about this at our local Jobs Centre recently.
Cheers, durhamlad, that's helpful info. As I already have the same NI number I can carry on paying contributions as per normal, I assume?
Old Jun 13th 2017, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cheers, durhamlad, that's helpful info. As I already have the same NI number I can carry on paying contributions as per normal, I assume?
Absolutely. My son doesn't have a NI number because he left with us when he was 4 years old.

While in the US I used my NI number to pay voluntary NI contributions and continued to use the same number when I returned.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, hearing stuff like a lack of address and not being physically present in the UK may cause me problems with attaining employment though? Could I use a mate's address as a reference for housing, jobcentre, etc?
Old Jun 14th 2017, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, hearing stuff like a lack of address and not being physically present in the UK may cause me problems with attaining employment though? Could I use a mate's address as a reference for housing, jobcentre, etc?
We managed to find housing and set up a lease on a house using a friend's address and in fact they looked at possible places for us. It was good to have a house to move into when we arrived. We are retired so didn't have a job to find before moving back. Our son is going to be staying with us and will almost certainly wait until he gets back before looking for a job.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 5:40 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chips - I think it'd be pretty hard to get a job without being in the country. Some have managed it, but employers usually go for the tried and tested method of a face to face interview. Might depend on what you do and if there's a shortage of skilled people in your field.

Housing - Durham Lad's example is an indication it can be done, but the process used by the letting agent I use to manage my rental includes a full credit check, verification of employment status and salary/benefits, previous landlord references, and a face to face Right to Rent check (Right to Rent check is required by law). You might have more luck with a landlord who manages their own property, although they'll still have to comply with the Right to Rent check.

If at all possible it'd be far less stressful for you, and you'd have a much greater chance of success, if you could wait until you were here before house and job hunting. Best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.