Wikiposts

back from the UK

Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

katie97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default back from the UK

Got back yesterday from 10 days back at home, people had said to me I will find everywhere scruffy, people are still doing the same things!!!! The biggest thing I noticed was how green everywhere was and how clean everyones cars looked (we are in Calgary so car is always filthy) Well I did not find places scruffy, and as for people doing the same thing, not too sure what is meant by that, but people work and play in the UK same as here.

For us Canada has not worked, my OH had a serious work injury and Workers Compensation is a nightmare, I would not wish that on anyone. Yes we will have a smaller house and going home will be difficult for us all, and, my OH will never be able to work in his trade again due to his injury, but for us as a family I know in my heart it is the right decision.

I hope for everyone thinking of going home (from wherever they are in the world) that they can come to the right decision for themselves, it has taken a long time for us to finally know it is the right decision for us.

Off to eat my Thorntons Champagne truffles I brought back with me.

KEEP SMILING
Old Mar 20th 2011, 4:47 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: back from the UK

Well the smaller house will take less time to clean right?
I hope your Dh is feeling better soon, will he re train before moving back?
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Hi Mummy, you are right about the cleaning, but then I guess the time spent cleaning less will be replaced by hanging washing out!!!!!!!

Not too sure for the re-training, our youngest daughter is 14 and we need to get back asap to get her into school. OH did ask WCB about re-training and they said the best he could hope for was a computer course. He has had 2 surgeries already and it is looking like he will need another.

As I said in my previous post i would not wish for anyone to have gone through what we have been through and, are still going through, if this is how Canada deals with people injured at work, well, they can stick it!!!!!1

think I will go and eat another Thorntons truffle!!!!

Thanks for your comments Mummy
Old Mar 20th 2011, 7:46 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Aww hugs to your Dh, maybe you can work and he can be home with kids in UK till he can get better. I'd love to do that, but I think Dh would earn more than me, so we'll both end up working (I hope)
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

Originally Posted by katie97
Hi Mummy, you are right about the cleaning, but then I guess the time spent cleaning less will be replaced by hanging washing out!!!!!!!

Not too sure for the re-training, our youngest daughter is 14 and we need to get back asap to get her into school. OH did ask WCB about re-training and they said the best he could hope for was a computer course. He has had 2 surgeries already and it is looking like he will need another.

As I said in my previous post i would not wish for anyone to have gone through what we have been through and, are still going through, if this is how Canada deals with people injured at work, well, they can stick it!!!!!1

Hi It's been some time since my last post here, but when I read this I could sympathize. I live in calgary and had to go in for surgery and I'm having a hell of a time with work over getting paid and going back to work on light duties. Last week all was fine had letter from Doc to say I could go back on modified duties. But today I find out that, that might not be the case. Always the way here i'm finding say one thing but do the other.

Really just want to pack it all in and head home.

I hope your OH gets better soon!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure if this applies but can he claim disability via CPP as he is not able to work? How old is he?

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/i...pplicant.shtml

Last edited by shelley748; Mar 21st 2011 at 11:44 am. Reason: adding link
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:57 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Katie

I feel for you and your circumstances and I find it quite disturbing that your OH has not been compensated or looked after following an industrial injury.
I guess not everything in the UK is so bad when compared to other places. I would have expected to hear better of a country such as Canada.

When you do return to the UK, make sure you read up on the Disability Discrimination Act, which may help your OH when looking for work, as well as when he does find employment. This applies if his condition has been ongoing for one year or longer.
Also check up on disability pensions too. He may have to be back for a certain length of time before entitlement, but check it out nevertheless. Also if the company he worked for in Canada has any HQ in the UK, he may be automatically entitled.

I don't know the full circumstances so cannot say whether he is entitled, but worth a check as you never know.

In the meantime, all the best for your return to the UK.

Dread - x
Old Mar 21st 2011, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Katie,
It sounds as though it would be worthwhile having a consultation with a lawyer here before you go back if WCB is not providing you with appropriate compensation. It is after all supposed to be Workmens Compensation. I have no personal experience with them but they do not have a good reputation and I would make sure that your rights are taken care of. Chose a lawyer who is experienced in WCB cases.
Good luck
Old Mar 21st 2011, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

celticx1973 is a jewel in the roughcelticx1973 is a jewel in the roughcelticx1973 is a jewel in the roughcelticx1973 is a jewel in the rough

The first time I went back home to Scotland after moving to NZ, I hated it, I came back and did a trip to Christchurch and feel in love with the place because it reminded me of home….. Moved down to Christchurch in 2008 and went back home for another holiday in 2010. Not sure what had changed in me but something had. Returned to Christchurch and after about 3 months it just hit me I knew I belonged in Scotland and wanted to go back.
Now we are in the process of trying to get back, but that will all depend mostly on getting our house sorted after the earthquakes. We also need to ship our animals over. It’s going to take a while but I know where I belong. Just wish I could go now
Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:19 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

best wishes katie97, I really do hope things work out for you. I know its difficult out there and there's not too much in the way of advice forthcoming when you need it, expect for the lovely people on here.
I hope you get sorted soon and all the best to your DH.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 12:09 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Got back yesterday from 10 days back at home, people had said to me I will find everywhere scruffy, people are still doing the same things!!!! The biggest thing I noticed was how green everywhere was and how clean everyones cars looked (we are in Calgary so car is always filthy) Well I did not find places scruffy, and as for people doing the same thing, not too sure what is meant by that, but people work and play in the UK same as here.
I heard the same things and also didn't see them when I was there. Going back again in September and will look harder

Congrats on the decision and good luck with the move!
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your kind wishes As for finding a lawyer who will deal with WCB, we have looked, there is no one in Calgary even Alberta (unless some one knows one!!!!)

When we go back home I do not know what job he can do there, but our choice is stay here and put up with WCB c%#p We saw his Orthopedic surgeon 2 weeks ago, his first question was can you work 6 hours a day instead of 4 (bonus for the surgeon if he works more hours !!!!) he then went onto say that during OH's second surgery he was able to get a good range of motion in his shoulder I replied that I could probably do the splits under anesthetic !!!!

Just as well we still have our British sense of humor, which help when OH's wages are $300 less every 2 weeks.

But, enough moaning, we have made the decision to go home and it feels good!!!!!

Got 1 packet of champagne truffles left!!!!!!
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your kind wishes As for finding a lawyer who will deal with WCB, we have looked, there is no one in Calgary even Alberta (unless some one knows one!!!!)

When we go back home I do not know what job he can do there, but our choice is stay here and put up with WCB c%#p We saw his Orthopedic surgeon 2 weeks ago, his first question was can you work 6 hours a day instead of 4 (bonus for the surgeon if he works more hours !!!!) he then went onto say that during OH's second surgery he was able to get a good range of motion in his shoulder I replied that I could probably do the splits under anesthetic !!!!

Just as well we still have our British sense of humor, which help when OH's wages are $300 less every 2 weeks.

But, enough moaning, we have made the decision to go home and it feels good!!!!!

Got 1 packet of champagne truffles left!!!!!!
Have you tried this link: http://www.calgarywcblawyers.com/ I just googled Calgary WCB Lawyer. There seem to be lots. I think it's not really a part of the British mentality to sue and that was my feeling when I was creamed in a traffic accident. But when ICBC, our crown corp car insurance company cut off my treatment I got a lawyer who only dealt with ICBC cases. I never even had to go to court. My lawyer took care of that and I received a substantial settlement. I find that these companies try to get away with paying the absolute minimum (I used to work for ICBC and saw how it worked) and that people deserve to be treated fairly.
Either way, I wish you all the best on your return and much happier days ahead.
(Eating my Thornton's toffee )
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Hi Bandrui thank you for your advice, I have tried that link before and spoke with Lawyers, not just about compensation but for for my OH to get proper medical treatment and, for someone to listen to him. For 20 months now he has been in constant pain and had 2 surgeries, lost count of the number of Physio sessions. I know there was one lawyer in Calgary who dealt with WCB but he has retired.

One of the Lawyers did tell me that there was an company that dealt with WCB issues but only once they had made a decision about your case and then you could appeal if you did not agree with this decision.

Once again thanks