Back to Uk for 10 days

Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to Uk for 10 days

Originally Posted by quoll
Just count your blessings and enjoy your holiday. I am sure you will be fine because you know you will be planning for something else afterwards.

I tend to see the beauty (except in Plymouth where I saw the chavs!).
That's funny as I visited some rellies in Plymouth and I just 'saw' the new shopping centre...a great improvement on the former stuff....I hadn't been for many many years (to Plymouth not the UK).

Also I left UK just before the term CHAV came into fashion...so despite trips back, I'm still not quite sure how to identify said person.

Last edited by luvwelly; Oct 21st 2009 at 1:27 am.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
That's funny as I visited some rellies in Plymouth and I just 'saw' the new shopping centre...a great improvement on the former stuff....I hadn't been for many many years (to Plymouth not the UK).

Also I left UK just before the term CHAV came into fashion...so despite trips back, I'm still not quite sure how to identify said person.
I maybe malign Plymouth but the last couple of times I have been there has been no doubt that there were loads of chavs (and I didnt really know what they were either, just people you would tend to veer to the other side of the road to avoid mainly). I guess I was surprised because I didnt see the same phenomenon elsewhere.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by quoll
I maybe malign Plymouth but the last couple of times I have been there has been no doubt that there were loads of chavs (and I didnt really know what they were either, just people you would tend to veer to the other side of the road to avoid mainly). I guess I was surprised because I didnt see the same phenomenon elsewhere.
You don't seem to get Chav's per se here in Canada, but you do get the homeless or gangsta wannabee culture instead. All 'white trash' though.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:54 pm
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all

OK, so what is a CHAV, really?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:57 pm
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Erica
OK, so what is a CHAV, really?
Here we go . . .

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Chav (pronounced /ˈtʃæv/ (CHAV)), charve(r) or scally (in northern England), steek (in Northern Ireland), ned (in Scotland) and lad in Australia is a derogatory term applied to certain young people in the United Kingdom. The stereotypical chav is an aggressive teenager or young adult who often engages in anti-social behaviour,[1] such as street drinking, drug abuse and rowdy behaviour. They are often assumed to be unemployed or in a low paid job,[2] although it is incorrect to assume that all chavs are working class, as chavs belong to no distinct social class. The term Charver is more widely used in North East England.[3] Stereotypical "chavs" typically wear tracksuits and hoodies made by sporting brands such as Nike and Adidas and listen to mainly MC and some have been known to listen to Rap, R'n'B, Hip Hop and Techno.[citation needed]
A stereotypical "chav"

"Chavette" or Millie (in Northern Ireland) is a term generally used for female "chavs", similar to "lad" and "lass".

Response to the term has ranged from amusement to criticism that it is a new manifestation of classism.[4] One BBC TV documentary suggested that "chav" culture is an evolution of previous working-class youth subcultures associated with particular commercial clothing styles, such as mods, skinheads and casuals.[5] The term has been associated with juvenile delinquency, the ASBO Generation and yob culture.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
You don't seem to get Chav's per se here in Canada, but you do get the homeless or gangsta wannabee culture instead. All 'white trash' though.
I'd disagree, I can only speak for Montreal but I can truly say that Chavs exist but by a different name. There are certain areas of the city where they are even predominant, all you need to do is substitute Citroen Saxo's for Chrysler Neon's.

General society doesn't seem to pay them as much attention as we do in the UK, which is why you'd never know about them unless you actually went to these areas.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 11:30 am
Just Joined

JandS is an unknown quantity at this point

Do the ski season I say!! When I arrived in April I really hated it here. I dislike the way they drive here, the food, the shopping ect. Give me Waitrose, Sainsbury anytime. However, as time went on we sort of got used to things here and fortunately my 4 year old boy really likes it here (probably because he gets to do outdoor stuff here much more than in London). It really took us a good 4-6 months to get settled down here and to start liking this place. This is the first time in my life that I am actually looking forward to winter!! Got our ski passes ready and will head for the mountains once snow comes! I find checking out the skiing websites lifts my moral when I feel down about being here.
Good luck and have a good trip.

J

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Ok - so tomorrow me and kids are back to the Uk for a 10 day pre planned trip - hubby staying to mind the hounds!

Unfort as it has coincided with me at my lowest and really wanting to go home I am managing to get myself into a right state about coming back and havent even packed the sutcases yet.

will some one please give me slap and tell me to just go, enjoy my hol, come back, shoulders back, chest out, do the ski season and then decide on my next step in life..

actually that feels better already . . .

What will I see - a beautiful Uk or a place full of chavs - will let you know peeps . . . . . .
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:53 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

So we leave for Canada tomorrow - Daughter already beside herself - me - just empty really dont want to go but have to - -hubby, dogs house etc. . .think I may actually be clinically depressed i feel so goddam low!
Old Oct 29th 2009, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

So we leave for Canada tomorrow - Daughter already beside herself - me - just empty really dont want to go but have to - -hubby, dogs house etc. . .think I may actually be clinically depressed i feel so goddam low!
Sorry you're feeling so crappy I guess now you're pretty sure where you'd rather be living and hopefully you can start planning. Take care of yourself and remember there is light at the end of the tunnel
Old Oct 29th 2009, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Also sorry to hear you are feeling so rough Carrie

Right then missus - two plans of attack.

One - get steamingly drunk on the plane, or

Two - spend the flight plotting and planning your next move.

I know you've mentioned how you feel about Canada, but I can't recall what your OH's thoughts are ... would he support a move back?

Despite feeling really depressed, go and see someone about it - doctor, counsellor, good friend. You won't be able to think straight or make well-considered plans for your future while you are befuddled, low or angry.

I know in your heart you feel moving back would be best so I won't spout on about giving it more time, etc. But I guess I would just ask you to bear that in mind

I also understand that the job front has not been a welcome side (I sooo understand that) - so if you are anything like me, your confidence has taken a bit of a battering. Chin up ol' bean - you are a fabulous, confident, employable and wonderful asset that has just not yet been recognised.

Have a great day with the rellies and we'll speak again on the other side. "Enjoy" the flight and take care of yourself and your daughter. Big smiles for her 'cos she will feed off your mood. Fake it honey, fake it ....for a wee while longer. (Your duvet awaits you ).

Hugs
Old Oct 29th 2009, 4:42 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys x x x
Old Oct 29th 2009, 4:48 pm
half a century

forgot to add - Hubby seems ok with coming back - but not the chavs!! He has a phone interview for a job in bucks on tuesday morning - so maybe some light . . . . I have been useless all week - my friends are really worried bout me - dont want to gp back on meds - had been on prozac b4 for bulimia - until am back in Uk with my old Dr - oh I dunno!!
Old Oct 29th 2009, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Hold that image of the final future flight back to the UK in your mind. If it's any consolation, once you made the decision to return it seems to make things a little easier as you know you're not in Canada forever and you've got something to work towards that helps take your mind off things.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

forgot to add - Hubby seems ok with coming back - but not the chavs!! He has a phone interview for a job in bucks on tuesday morning - so maybe some light . . . . I have been useless all week - my friends are really worried bout me - dont want to gp back on meds - had been on prozac b4 for bulimia - until am back in Uk with my old Dr - oh I dunno!!
Keep yer pecker up gal!!! Its good that hubby has phone interview for job in Bucks!!

Does anyone know how to broach the job subject when you have applied for a job and you are in Canada? What I mean is that I have been applying or jobs using my Dads UK address, and today there is a letter Dad said, which he scanned and sent to me. The company want me to contact them re an interview- how should I talk to them about it so that at least I can get a telephone interview? (sorry I can post separately but just thought as you had mentioned it in your posting).
Old Oct 29th 2009, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shelley748
Keep yer pecker up gal!!! Its good that hubby has phone interview for job in Bucks!!

Does anyone know how to broach the job subject when you have applied for a job and you are in Canada? What I mean is that I have been applying or jobs using my Dads UK address, and today there is a letter Dad said, which he scanned and sent to me. The company want me to contact them re an interview- how should I talk to them about it so that at least I can get a telephone interview? (sorry I can post separately but just thought as you had mentioned it in your posting).
Best be straightforward with them. If you can give them a firm date for your return to the UK or can go over for work ahead of time they'll be understanding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.