Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Back over a year...where is my head?

Back over a year...where is my head?

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back over a year...where is my head?

Originally Posted by WheelsOfSteel
I think this sums up our experience well too. We came back from NZ and have been back in the UK about 1.5 yrs, away from NZ about 2 years.

We still have a house in NZ and will use it more and more as a second home, with the intention to base our selves there eventually.

We are in a lovely small village in the UK, so again not too effected by yobs, etc...
Strange I always think that people worry about moving back to a helhole when the UK is so diverse. I know theres an element of finances, but rather move to a smaller place in a nice area than a mansion in a warzone! And most people returning will have experienced the UK before so should get a feel/have people who will tell them wheres good and wheres not. The thing about the UK is areas can change in as short a space as 5miles, so as long as people are a little savvy by doing some research, checking out schools, amenities etc, they should be fine.
Location,location, location and all that.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:52 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie
I Know what you mean but you can imagine what it is like for us.....we do live very close to the scummy areas and only last year a young boy who was stabbed and killed for the colour of his skin was hitting the headlines.

Our parks are awful ......not painted, rusty equipment and basically not maintained.

Pants ...will you be heading back to Oz in the near future, or are you still unsure yourself.

Hi Issie

I do sympathise I know I am pretty lucky compared to others. Its not just the parks though is it...??!Its all the other stuff that goes with it.

Mhhh as for heading back to Oz I reckon one day we will but not for the next 3 years or so.....how about you Issie?
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:00 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pants
Hi Issie

I do sympathise I know I am pretty lucky compared to others. Its not just the parks though is it...??!Its all the other stuff that goes with it.

Mhhh as for heading back to Oz I reckon one day we will but not for the next 3 years or so.....how about you Issie?
We go to live in Perth in January. Have been lucky in the respect that i have a job already there, have got a rental booked and got the kids in a lovely school.

My kids our 9 and 6 so a good age to go and if it goes tits up then they are still young enough to adapt to change.

My kids and my OH are my life ....as long as were together thats all that matter to me
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:27 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie
We go to live in Perth in January. Have been lucky in the respect that i have a job already there, have got a rental booked and got the kids in a lovely school.

My kids our 9 and 6 so a good age to go and if it goes tits up then they are still young enough to adapt to change.

My kids and my OH are my life ....as long as were together thats all that matter to me
good for you......I have a bubs of 8mnths and 51/2yr old so plenty of time to head back plus I reckon my hubby ( an aussie) will WANT to go back one day.!
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 1:57 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pants
good for you......I have a bubs of 8mnths and 51/2yr old so plenty of time to head back plus I reckon my hubby ( an aussie) will WANT to go back one day.!
Good luck wherever you are in the future.

I just want to go now all this hanging around is not good for me emotionally or physically
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 2:27 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Well folks, you've not seen me around for some time, so I thought I'd give an update on where my head is on the whole UK/Australia thing.

How are things different for us now living on the south coast of England, compared to when we lived on the east coast of NSW?

Well, on the positive side, compared to our lives in Sydney:
1. We see a lot more of our relatives and friends. We see my wife's sister and dad at least once a month, and other relatives 3 or 4 times a year. My wife has become closer to her sister and dad. Most significantly, our daughter adores them and her other relatives - they are a very important part of her life. Had we stayed in Australia, they would not even be memories. Some of our good friends are like family, and we can see them every few weeks - something we would have paid a lot for when in Sydney.
2. We both have very good careers. Here we have advanced far more quickly than we could have in Australia in one year. There are just far more opportunities for us in the UK, and the opportunities are generally far better.
3. The 'British summer time' weather is generally pleasant. No flies, no mozzies, no heat rash, no itching, no sweating. Sensible temperatures. Plenty of water.
4. We have easy access to very diverse countryside, coast, historic cities and villages. This is an aspect of Britain that we love dearly. We also have access to Europe, though this is certainly not so easy with a toddler.
5. Britain is an interesting place to live. Britain feels like a place where things happen; the cutting edge of science, technology, media, education, world politics - everything. Compared to Australia, Britain seems so much more multi-dimensional.

On the negative side:
1. The first winter was a killer. The Spring and Summer of 2006 went well. Then the Winter came and was dire. Dull. Wet. Unpleasant. Not particularly cold, but I think I would prefer that as it tends to go with blue skies. Mid-winter, we pretty much decided to return to Australia. Our plans firmed up to return in Autumn 2008. Until the clocks went forward again in 2007...
2. Fairly unreliable weather generally. April 2007 was fabulous. May and June, just OK. It's not Sydney. We aren't going to get blue skies most days any time soon. This is a fact to be accepted. Not such a big deal, just annoying.
3. I don't like the fact that yobs exist at all. Actually this was a major concern, but the so called 'yob culture' has had no direct effect on us whatsoever. It's just the fact that there are plenty of chavs in the UK generally that annoys me. I want rid of them. But thankfully this hasn't been a problem at all. We live in a pretty sheltered village and are perhaps lucky in that respect. Yobs exist in Australia too, in plentyful supplies in many areas. But proportionately, I'd say the yob ratio was lower.
4. The pace of life is more stressful. This for us is quite noticable. The roads are fuller, we work harder, everything is a bit more of a race. Life is more complicated. Hard to balance this one; life is Australia was 'easy' in comparison - if that's what you want (it wasn't). Britain feels less healthy than Australia. So it is a constant effort to try to stop the stress from getting to you.
5. Life is expensive here. Many things are roughly the same price in the two countries - food, consumer goods, etc. But living is more expensive here overall mostly especially when you consider the less visible things, e.g. car tax, TV licence, council tax, eating out/in. Australia seems to have a simpler and more visible tax regime.

So where are we at now? Well, we're actually happy here now. That's why I've not really posted recently. We're just getting on with life, without the doubt and indecision. We have lots of very meaningful and important things in our lives now. And we're certainly not bored. The main thing we miss is the weather, excluding the Sydney summer. Good weather just changes our outlook and we generally feel healthier. The UK winter and fear about the British social climate felt like enough of a reason to decide to return to Australia 6 months ago. Now we would find it very hard to return anytime soon. We have a lot to lose now. It is very much a possibility in a few years, yet mostly due again to fear for our daughter as she gets older.

So to those looking to return, your two main worries about Britain are probably:
1. Social climate. Unless you live in affected areas, this mostly won't affect you at all. If you do (have to) return to a badly affected area, then you may regret moving back - we would. Mostly, this is only real for us in fears.
2. Physical climate. Well, there's nothing I can tell a Brit about British weather. Call it eccentric. But living with an eccentric can be tiresome, and this alone could be enough to tempt us back to warmer climes one day. But for now, we here and glad to be here.
Good well rounded post, can't disagree with that.

Been back 9 weeks in a northern town, hundreds of miles from where I grew up in Brighton, and its been fantastic. The locals are friendly and my aussie wife is amazed that motorists actually stop and flash their lights for you to cross the road when walking. You won't see that in australia. Also amazed, me also (I was in australia for 20 years) at the price of food etc in the shops, unbelievably cheap compared to Queensland, and clothes, and just about every thing else. Chavs? what chavs? certainly none having any impact at all on our lives. The weather has been brilliant, t shirts shorts and thongs (in the aussie sense) some days, chucking it down others...great variety and very enjoyable.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

gingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to allgingajoy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Del Boy

Been back 9 weeks in a northern town, hundreds of miles from where I grew up in Brighton, and its been fantastic. The locals are friendly and my aussie wife is amazed that motorists actually stop and flash their lights for you to cross the road when walking. You won't see that in australia. Also amazed, me also (I was in australia for 20 years) at the price of food etc in the shops, unbelievably cheap compared to Queensland, and clothes, and just about every thing else. Chavs? what chavs? certainly none having any impact at all on our lives. The weather has been brilliant, t shirts shorts and thongs (in the aussie sense) some days, chucking it down others...great variety and very enjoyable.
This is reassuring to hear, as we're looking at the North ourselves. There seems to be a lot going on with IT up in that area lately.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:42 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gingajoy
This is reassuring to hear, as we're looking at the North ourselves. There seems to be a lot going on with IT up in that area lately.
I Think thats the point.....certainly as far as comparisons with australia are concerned, wherever you are in the UK, there's a lot more of everything available close at hand.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Del Boy

Wondered if you got back, nice to see a post, price of stuff is amazing isnt it, glad its working out for you and the family.